Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

More than a day out in space away from the sun and he's as vulnerable as you or me. We discovered this when a face hugger stuck an alien egg down his throat 20 years ago. There was a ticking clock for the reader, but Kal just got out into the sunlight in time as the alien was trying to spread his ribs from the inside... A lot of vomit was involved in the Xenomorph's final exit.

2. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

That's really disgusting.....anyway......

Unimatrix Zero Parts 1 and 2: A solid Borg two parter, but not great. I never quite understood the way Unimatrix Zero worked. When the "evil" Borg went into it, why weren't their minds also freed from the collective? Their appearances should have also changed. The whole plot that Janeway came up with to invade the Borg Cube and.....do something.....never made a lot of sense to me. They planned on being assimilated? And then they had a way to retain individuality? And Voyager left even though they knew they'd been assimilated and that was all part of the plan....??? I could go on...

Anyway, it was still a fun action-packed episode and I enjoyed it. Some decent romance too. Just wish it had been better.

7/10

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I haven't watched it in about a week, but I think when the Queen sent her hunters in, she'd modified them, or they weren't really in a regenerative state, it was a search and destroy mission to locate infected cubes.

Edit: Maybe these discussions would go better if you announced what you're going to review next. Then those who have the episode could prepare so it's fresh.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Am I the only one who found UZ1 a bit...well, dull?

This thread sometimes reminds me of Weird Science. Come morning you wouldn't know what you guys had been up to last night unless went back and looked :)

And because we can never have enough TNG crossover:
    [​IMG]

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's my least favorite double ep and the only one I haven't rewatched multiple times. The ideas are good though, the idea that there's a secret place like that which served the collective in its own way as it kept drones healthy.

Also lurok, that is awful!

6. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Awful it is. The tilted head, the weird walk and now that damned tongue. Blech.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I really wanted to like Unimatrix Zero, but just like Screed there were too many questions left unanswered. Also, that would be one hell of a subspace comlink that would essentially connect your thoughts to the thoughts of other drones across the galaxy. I know that how the Borg interlink works hasn't been fully explored in canon, but I was under the impression that it didn't quite work that way, and that cubes and even groups of drones worked in a hierarchy (7 of 9, "Hugh"/3 of 5).

8. Guy Gardener

They have interplexing beacons. The galaxy is bound in a nutshell and they count themselves as Kings of infinite space.

9. tighr

I was under the impression that the interplexing beacons do not equal instantaneous subspace communication.

10. Guy Gardener

Well if you only have one of them.

Of course they aren't.

Subspace radio is only possible over ridiculous distances because starships keep dropping booster arrays (we saw this in an episode of Enterprise.) all over the place.

If the Borg have thousands, possibly millions, of interplexing beacons hidden all over the galaxy into a reliable network?

Real time communication would be more than possible from almost anywhere.

11. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was Trek's version of "The Matrix"
    Seven was Neo
    The evil Borg are Agent Smith and the Queen is the Sentinals trying to destroy Zion A.K.A. Unimatrix Zero.

It gets as lame as the last two Matrix movies did and takes the Borg/humanity story one step too far. I really didn't find Voyager weakened the Borg until this two-part ep. Seriously, a Borg love story?:barf:

Come on, the Queen didn't know this flaw in the Hive? Plus, the Borg civil war was stupid, especially if they established a few times that Drones became ill and risked death once they disconnect from the collective and their implants turn on them. Wasn't that part of why the Borg in "Survival Instinct" weren't going to live long? Wasn't it implied in "Unity" that even freed Borg won't co-operate after awhile because they regain their past prejudices? The civil war will never go anywhere because they'll eventually turn on themselves, opening the door for the Borg to reassimilate them.

Bad, bad episode.

12. Guy Gardener

They can't eat and they don't have regeneration technology that they can't build themselves from what's in their surroundings.

Death is imminent anywhere less technological than that 24th century Earth for a freed drone.

Mike Sussman wrote Unimatrix Zero.

Last time I said that he "could have" wrote Unimatrix Zero after seeing the Matrix, the gentleman manifested and reasonably talked "us" through his process that predated the Matrix.

He has an account here.

You're not safe.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Strange coincidences. I rewatched The Matrix recently and thought: hmmm. Laurence Fishburne might make a good Trek Captain. Or Angela Bassett. Though she's not in The Matrix.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just what Trek needs... yet another bald captain.

15. tighr

I didn't realize Angela Bassett was bald, she has such nice hair. ;)

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was talking about Fishbourne as I'm sure you know. But on the subject, she can be a Deltan captain. ;)

17. tighr

Deltan's can't be captains, too sexy. Would cause issues. Like women on submarines.

18. Guy Gardener

There could be ships of nothing but Deltans just like there are ships of nothing but vulcans (And obviously humans).

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

All-Horta ships could be interesting. How would they answer a hail?

20. Guy Gardener

according to TOS, the universal translator is a telepathic interface.

But if they can go that far, they can have holographic dopplegangers like Denora Pel had that time while she was too sickly to walk upright.