Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No, they haven't. For that matter, unless I'm misremembering,Doctor Who Magazine hasn't done anything with the Daleks in a decade. (I don't know about Doctor Who Adventures or Battles in Time, as neither of those are available in the US.)

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well...we have the finale coming out next week. Time to see if Allyn's predictions will be anywhere near the mark :)

3. Allyn Gibson

The final issue came out today.

At this point, all I have to say is, "There should have been another way."

4. Admiral_Young

I guess we know where the Borg's interest in time travel comes from now :)

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having just finished the final issue, I'll say meh. Despite being built up on the front cover, the confontation with the Cyber Controller was rather anti-climatic, as was the Conduit's inevitable betrayal that went nowhere. During the fight in the Cybermen's engine room, Worf grabs Amy and Rory to run. They ask about the other officers, and Worf just says "We can't help them now." Even though there was still one guy alive and putting up a fight.

I wish thehy had done more with the friendship that seemed to be developing between Worf and Rory. Nice nod with Riker remembering the time he and Bertrand dropped by Sisko's Reataurant, although nitpick, that image is supposed to be sometime before TNG season 1 (Riker has no beard) and yet he and Bertrand are wearing the season 3 onward uniforms.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think overall there is no other thing to say about this series but 'poor' - second-rate talent, second rate product.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Sadly, I'm forced to agree. I stuck with it, hoping for a good payoff. Really though, there was just a bunch of plodding along with very little of interest actually happening. On paper, this sounded like a great concept. I mean, the Cybermen and the Borg team up, forcing the Doctor to team up with the Enterprise crew. How can you make such a dull mess out of that?

9. Admiral_Young

I have maintained this from the start...this was disappointing, and Chris Roberson's "Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes" was so much more fun than this was, and better written and drawn. This had potential and tried to be special, but there were just so many problems with it that it was a let down. The photoscanned art simply does not work for me.

10. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Issue 3 with Kirk and 4 was pretty good, rest has been average at best.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Completely "meh".

12. Tzenkethi

Tzenkethi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was all lazy, the Borg and Cybermen wouldn't even make an alliance, they are not the same thing.
    The Cybermen are individuals who strip away emotion, the Borg on the other hand merge minds into a collective conscience. One side cuts while the other blends yet both become almost the same thing.
    I think a series of one offs might have been better showing the universes meshing.
    Enterprise era: The NX01 returns to Earth to find it very different and under control of the Daleks through Robomen and Ogruns, they encounter the first Doctor.
    TOS era: The Federation and Klingons go to war and bring their battle to the Eternals, here is the Fifth Doctor
    TNG era: A invasion is under way by the Cybermen who have began campaigns on human colonies.
    DS9 era: The Dominion poses a threat to the Alpha Quadrant, the Dominion being the founders and their shock troops the Sontarrans.
    VOY era: The crew encounter the flourishing Silurians who left Earth a long time ago.
    Then it could all culminate in a Timelord or Master plot to allow Gallifrey to win the Time War and avoid the Moment.

13. The Wormhole

Wasn't that basically the episode Distant Origin?

Okay, seriously though, most of your ideas would be undoable for a simple reason: IDW can't do anything with DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise. Their license only covers TOS, TNG, and the Abramsverse. They did have a license to DS9 but due to low sales of the Fool's Gold series, they let the license expire and haven't renwed it. Under certain circumstances, they can use characters from the other shows (like various Voyager cameos in the TNG Hive series), but otherwise, those shows are off limits.

Also, since IDW has never done anything with the Daleks, one can guess it's because they don't want the added burden of having to deal with the Nation estate over the rights. A crossover is problematic enough trying to appease two different studios, a third party, particularly one as notoriously difficult to work with as the Nation estate would be avoided at all costs. True, they had to seek permission for the Cybermen, but the estates of Kit Pedler and Gerry Davis aren't as picky about the Cybermen as the Nation estate is about the Daleks. It's for a similar reason they didn't use the Abramsverse for this, Bad Robot would then have had direct supervision over the project.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sounds like that may not have been a bad idea, considering the Product that was put out was apparently less than stellar

15. The Wormhole

I doubt it would have improved the quality, especially when you look at the ongoing Abramsverse comic and the Nero comic series. And the less said about Countdown (which Orci developed the story for) the better. Bad Robot doesn't do quality control, they just make sure the comic's storyline doesn't interfere with what they want to do in the movies. Also, issues could have been constantly postponed simply because BR hasn't gotten around to approving the latest one yet (it happens all the time with YA Abramsverse novels).

And besides, trying to get the approvals of both CBS and BBC for this was bad enough, a third party wanting direct supervision would have unnecessarily complicated matters. Trust me, we should be thankful Bad Robot wasn't brought on board for this.

16. Allyn Gibson

It's done. That's the best thing I can say.

This was the comic book equivalent of the long passages through V'Ger in Star Trek: The Motion Picture or the diving bubble sequence in "The Sea Devils." Yes, it's cool to see Patrick Stewart and Matt Smith sharing the same page. But they needed to do something with that. Put the characters in jeopardy. Make them work to get out of bad and increasingly worse situations. Have them do something. That's not what we got. What we got was nostalgia masquerading for narrative.

Conceptually, Assimilation2 could have worked. Instead, we got something that Steve Parkhouse and John Ridgway would have needed at most four eight-pagers in Doctor Who Magazine to cover spread out to 180 pages.

I talk about it more at length on my blog. I voted for this in Bleeding Cool's "Most Disappointing Comic of 2012" poll. Avengers Vs. X-Men was terrible, but I didn't expect anything from that. I expected better from this.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

^ I'm glad I didn't bother with it, then.

18. Allyn Gibson

J.K. Woodward is selling prints of some of his Star Trek/Doctor Who artwork. In addition to the "Bad Wolf 359" print (the cover to issue #7), he's also selling prints of Amy Pond in the TOS microskirt and an Odd in a redshirt.

For those interested, look here.

19. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Yikes. Been trying to track down the first trade, which is now out of print apparently, but it sounds like I needn't bother. The TOS/Legion crossover was fun, but fell apart in the final issue (as much as I like the TOS crew, it turned into a TOS comic with guest starts who did very little). This one was really just stultifying? Yikes.

20. Allyn Gibson

Diamond still has it in stock, so your local comic shop would be able to order it without any trouble. The item code is JUL120287.

It was one of the dull, talky Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes, with the Doctor as the main guest star.