#FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jan, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^and visa-versa. I swear I'll make a gamer of Jan yet! ;)
    Give me a shout if any graphics work needs doing for the site.

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not surprising JMS busts out the Charlie Brown boo-hoo I'm the victim routine. From my perspective he's more Boy Who Cried Wolf. By the time something actually happens with B5 nobody will give a shit.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't know what your issue is with JMS but I always thought the Peanuts thing is clearly a self deprecating comparison. Charlie Brown is a dupe because Lucy fools him every time. Pretty much why I chose to use it since I'm fairly sure this isn't going to work...and I don't care. We're doing it anyway.

4. Yoda

Well let's see, you can say it's self-deprecating... and it's been a while since I've seen any Charlie Brown, but the lasting impression I had was that poor Charlie was too trusting, and he got screwed over, he was the victim, and Lucy was the villain. So there's one thing I don't like about JMS. He's always the victim. Besides, if you thought JMS was a 'dupe' why would you be volunteering your effort on his behalf. Seems like you would subscribe to a sympathetic take on Charlie Brown's field goals as well.

As for the Breaking Bad reference... why are you having troubles understanding my issue? He comes off to me like he took that as a slight. Maybe he's mad that Star Trek got a whole spec script discussion scene? I don't know. But instead of "Hey a great show referenced my show and it made me smile" we get complaining about how obscure B5 has become.

Also glancing at the guy's twitter he's arguing with anyone who is saying Netflix is more important than cable, "As a rerun, B5 would be shoved to the back on Netfilx; on cable folks who don't know it can bump into it". For someone who was in on pretty much the ground floor of the Internet, he's coming off as pretty out of touch.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Then you labour under a false assumption. Several, by the looks of it.
    I didn't get involved for the sake of JMS. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the guy, one way or the other. Never met him. Never will. I did it because I'm a fan of B5 and I'd like to see it not seek into obscurity.

As for how JMS expresses his opinions; the guy has decades worth of experience in television. I'd take his word over random twitter people any day.

Also, it's worth remembering that this isn't JMS's campaign. All he's done is tell the fans "if you want more B5, it's up to you make some noise." That's it.

Honestly I don't see why you're fixating on the bloke. Nobody else is, so I can only conclude you take personal umbrage with the man, which to me is just sad and totally irrelevant to the discussion.

6. Yoda

I think you overestimate how much effort I put into JMS :lol:

Occasionally someone posts something silly that he has said, and then I make a quip. That's about the extent of it.

Ok, so it's not JMS's campaign... except he put out his bat signal to get it started, and his grand strategy of focusing on cable TV cannot be questioned unless you've worked in the TV industry for 30+ years. Got it, good luck with your campaign.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well every post you've made in this thread so far is centred directly on him and you've had little if anything to say about the actual topic of discussion. What other conclusion are we to draw from this?

Honestly I don't care what your issue with the bloke is, but just harping on like you are is so very tiresome.

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

From Ranger Jenny:

"This is the first video from the #FreeBabylon5 Network.

Become part of the avalanche! Make your own video. Tag it FreeBabylon5, Babylon 5 and Warner Bros. Entertainment. Email your video link to FreeBabylon5@gmail.com and we will help you spread the message. "

I know there are many talented folks out there who can make more videos. Let's create our own Voice of Free Babylon 5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JehVTBdJwig

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Just a suggestion, but you might want to try and see if you can't recruit some talent to help get the ball rolling. That bloke who did the memorial videos would be an obvious choice. Then there's this guy who does some very good work. No idea if he's a fan though. Might also want to approach the guy who made this. Looks like he hasn't done one in quite a long while, but he's still active so you may be able to coax him.

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

John Hudgens as the creator for those beautiful tribute videos as well as several other excellent B5-oriented creations. He definitely has a deep love for the show, so I bet he would love to be involved!

11. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Not a lot new on this front. Our webmaster is hard at work on the website and for those attending JMS' spotlight panel at NYCC, there will be some buttons to be had (*not* from JMS who's not involved in the campaign).

Have you ordered your #FreeBabylon5 t-shirts yet? *Less than five hours* left to order the Drazi Green or Purple (or both) shirts and only two more days for the Mars Red. These shirts will *never* be available for this low price of only $15.55 again! If you've been meaning to order, now's the time!
    http://www.freebabylon5tees.org/

Jan

12. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

For those who might not be following along on Facebook, we have buttons!
    http://www.trekbbs.com/album.php?albumid=373

The first 300 are going to New York Comic-con where a couple of costumed Rangers will be handing them out at JMS' spotlight panel and perhaps elsewhere. Quite a number of folks have asked about buying them, too, so I'm looking into ways of doing small mail orders. Let me know here or via PM if you're interested.

Keep an eye out for news soon on a 'get loud' campaign that's in the works to both get people involved and to let people know about the campaign.

Jan

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I just noticed this thread and added my "like" to the Facebook page. I'd love to see B5 back on the air. And, unlike some, I'd love to see another new B5 project.

14. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Good to have you join us, RJDiogenes!

Jan

15. jclark14

jclark14 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ohh, poo. How'd I miss this?

Well, congrats anyway!

jeff

16. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Part of the 'fans need to get loud and get organized' part of this campaign is raising awareness of Babylon 5 in the public consciousness. There are a couple of IMDb polls going on right now that might just help that. First is a vote for the best series finale. Predictably, Breaking Bad is now beating us. But when the poll was only up for a couple of days, B5 was over 500 votes.
    http://www.imdb.com/poll/W1Gf3Y1w0B0/

Another one that's fun is to choose your favorite story set in the 23rd century.
    http://www.imdb.com/poll/W1Gf3Y1w0B0/
    Surprise! Trek's winning. But I'll be Babylon 5 could make a serious showing.

Despite it looking like you can vote multiple times, only one vote per account is actually accepted.

Jan

17. Yoda

You seem to have accidentally linked to the same poll with both links.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ But there's a link over on the right under Related Polls.

I voted. We're in second place, but BB has about three times as many votes. It's amazing the stuff that people will watch these days. It's also amazing how far down Newhart is on the list.

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Friends?! Ouch.