Elaan of Troyius - Mess of an episode

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Terran_Empire, Aug 23, 2014.

1. One Lucky Red Shirt

One Lucky Red Shirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I for one love this episode. Its a fun and enjoyable 3rd season outing. The story was paced very good. Better than ur average 3rd seasoner IMO. I didnt see it so much as sexiest as i saw it as sacrifice. Elaan was a very strong and beautiful woman. However in the end she had to give in to politics and life. Like so many of us has to do. Men and women. Kirk didnt agree with what was going on just as much as Elaan didnt. In the end they both realized what had to be done.

It was a fun and entertaining episode. The klingons added to it. After all Star.Trek is fantasy based on reality. Very good episode. Sexist? Depends on how you look at. Elaans guards had to wear shower curtains for crying out loud!!

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Where did you get the idea that Mara was second in command of Kang's ship?

Yet she did come aboard the Enterprise willingly.

Unless the delay in her beaming aboard was due to her having to be shoved onto the transporter pad down on the surface.

:)

3. Mr. Hengist

Mr. Hengist Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't think it's reasonable to equate a vicious female dictator's attempted murder of the other planet's ambassador with the politically incorrect remarks made from time to time by the ship's doctor, who was clearly intended to be portrayed as something of a southern "good old boy" and whose character development arc throughout the series DID show genuine growth away from his superficially xenophobic attitude towards spock.

In point of fact, it was not actually xenophobia; McCoy objected to what he perceived as the Vulcan's apparent "lack of humanity."
    And spock's character developed as well to show us that he had a great deal of humanity.

4. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Wasn't Mara second in command? I thought I remember her telling the other Klingons what to do. Maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe she just had some influence because she was married to the Captain.

Maybe the delay in the beaming was because they were shoving her into the metallic bikini.;)

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Mara is the science officer.

6. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

I thought that "Elaan" was one of the better 3rd season episodes, compared to some of the other monstrosities produced during that final TOS season.