Favorite or Interesting Short Lived Scifi Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Feb 23, 2014.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Firefly
    Stargate Universe

2. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of the X-Files bubble, I forgot about Dark Skies

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Odyssey - one of the best pilots ever brought to TV. I haven't seen it in ten years, though. I was blown away when I saw it though.
    2. Virtuality - I really enjoyed the pilot turned TV movie. Would have liked to have seen this go to series.

4. Gotham Central

If one were to get technical, like Starhunter, BSG '78 got a second season. Folks may like to dismiss Galactica 1980 (justifiably so) but it did happen.

Having shows get significant makeovers between seasons kind of disqualifies them from this category...otherwise seaQuest could count since it was essentially a different show every season. Shows where change is baked into the premise like American Horror Story would also not count.

5. Gotham Central

I forgot about Surface since it came out at the same time as Invasion which I vastly preferred and seemed to make slightly more sense.

6. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seven Days. I liked that one.

I also recall (but didn't watch) a bunch of syndicated series... War of the Worlds, Cleopatra 2525, Mutant X, The Lost World, some others.

7. Gotham Central

Seven Days, War of the Worlds and Mutant X all got more than one season. I'm not sure about Cleopatra 2525 and The Lost World.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Wikipedia says Cleopatra 2525 lasted two, 14-episode seasons.

And if you mean this Lost World series, it lasted three seasons and 66 episodes.

I mean, if one wanted to be technical, The Prisoner got a second season, too, albeit a truncated one of four episodes that are probably the worst of the series.

9. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Firefly
    John Doe
    Odyssey 5
    Threshold

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future

A second season would have brought us a Captain Power who went off the rails a bit due to losing his girlfriend Jennifer "Pilot" Chase in the season 1 finale and we would have gotten two new characters with power suits... Ranger and TNT.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, how could I forget Starman? That was a terrific show. Turns out it is available on DVD, but only as print-on-demand, for 36 bucks.

That's odd... I remembered season 2 as being shorter than that, though the first season was half-hour episodes and the second was hourlong.

That's not right. It was originally meant to have seven episodes -- in McGoohan's preferred order, "Arrival," "Free For All," "Dance of the Dead," "Checkmate," "The Chimes of Big Ben," and the 2-part finale "Once Upon a Time" and "Fall Out" -- but the network insisted on ten more, which were more episodic and occasionally little more than filler. In production order, the extra ten episodes were shot between "Once Upon a Time" and "Fall Out." But the 17 episodes aired continuously with only a single 2-week gap between "Living in Harmony" and "The Girl Who Was Death," the two most fillery and least-liked episodes and the ones that directly preceded the 2-part finale.

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I forgot about Threshold. I really liked that show.

I'll add Jericho too.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

John Doe! I sorta liked that show. I didn't really care for Threshold. Odyssey Five had a great premise and great actors, but the individual episodes were very boring.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

They were certainly broadcast as a 17-episode run (or, in the US, 16 episodes, since "Living in Harmony" wasn't shown initially), but I was under the impression that the production history of the show was:

(1) A 13-episode first series was produced, with "Once Upon A Time" as the intended cliffhanger. That episode was shot sixth to accommodate shooting Leo McKern's episodes back-to-back. After this run, George Markstein (script editor) had a falling out with McGoohan, and did not return for the second series.

(2) A second series was produced, which consisted of only four episodes because the network cancelled the series prematurely, forcing McGoohan to rush the scripting, filming, and post-production of "Fall Out." These episodes were not filmed using the Portmeirion location.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Galactica 1980 is generally considered to be a separate spin-off show rather than a seaQuest-style overhaul within an ongoing series.

That ran for two seasons.

16. Gotham Central

Fan support got Jericho a second season.

17. Gotham Central

Its been awhile since I've seen it but does The New Original Wonder Woman count as a one season show? It was set during WWII and aired on a different network from The New Adventures of Wonder Woman.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I don't think so. I never saw it that way.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Firefly
    Space Above and Beyond
    Invasion
    Wonderfalls (Fantasy is close enough)
    Odyssey 5
    Dark Skies

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Journeyman would have been one that I really wanted to see keep going.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014