The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, that didn't work as well as I hoped. I was trying to make a joke about Bat-Sharks, as in part bat, part shark creatures.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

We call those Manta Rays. ;)

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Forgive but aren't we under the impression that Bruce stopped being Batman 8 years ago?

8 years later Gotham is like "No Man's Land" and Batman returns to face Bane.

You would also think in 8 years time Bruce would have a new costume and not something from 8 years ago.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not what I took from the ending of TDK. I thought he was still going to do his thing, only now he was taking on the extra burden of being regarded as a criminal in the eyes of the law.

6. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

It just took more time than he expected to prepare.

7. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The idea of the 8 year jump is intriguing to me..... sure, there's a lot of stuff that the audience "misses out" on, but jumping that far forward gives them the opportunity to put Batman someplace mentally, physically, and in the public eye that they wouldn't have been able to cleanly set up if it started immediately after TDK. I mean, 8 years of Batman being Gotham enemy #1, potentially 8 years of Batman getting the crap kicked out of him, 8 years worth of time for something to happen to his company, thus potentially cutting him off from his endless supply of new/ replaceable toys.

Could be a big risk, but it could also set them up to do some pretty interesting things with the story.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, an eight year jump? That's not going to be popular for some people.

Not this guy, however. I love it. And it's not a simple case of "fast-tracking the character arc." The way Nolan has handle Batman and Bruce Wayne's growth has always been a slow burn. The only way for Nolan to get to a satisfying conclusion to the overall arc (as he has stated multiple times in regards to this film) with the level of maturity, skill development, experience and emotional development is by jumping forward in time.

Reading the above article has gotten me all the more excited about this film. Summer 2012 can't came soon enough!

9. Wow the eight year jump is a shocking bit of news! It does tell me that Nolan has a specific story he wants to tell, which is very exciting. It looks like we might get a DKR inspired bit of story here. Seriously cannot wait!

10. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

So, Batman has either been out of commission for 8 years or he's been fighting bad guys the whole time. If it's the latter, I hope we get some nods to other villains in the rogues gallery.

And to elaborate further on Nolan's comment about earning the right to put Batman in the daylight, that sort of thing can go sour. Fans can be disloyal and they'll turn on you quickly if they see something they don't like. That's always a problem when you try to branch out, thinking you've earned some goodwill.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This report suggests that the jump in time was a compromise between Nolan and the studio, so that they could set other movies between TDK and TDKR, given the popularity of the Nolanverse. The implication is that something big happens in TDKR which makes sequels unlikely - death, retirement, paralysis, winning the lottery (er, oh yeah, he's already a billionaire).

I tend to take that with a pinch of salt, as I would have thought that even if Nolan's set on giving his Batman movies a definitive ending (and we've heard that before) the studio will simply reboot, as has been done with Superman, Spider-man, Hulk, Punisher, James Bond etc.

http://www.moviehole.net/201149285-5-new-revelations-about-the-dark-knight-rises

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Tantalizing bits of info and yet little really said. I'm really interested in this and Nolan has won a lot of points as far as I'm concerned. Whatever it will be I'm sure it will be interesting and it won't be dull.

The eight year gap is interesting. My impression is that Batman has remained in business those eight years though as an outlaw. Well, actually he's always been an outlaw, but whether he's looked upon favourably by most or not is another question.

I'm also not convinced that this is actually the end of him being Batman. It may simply be his greatest test that ends up with Batman being where he has always been meant to be: technically outside the law yet with some help from friendly cops and most of Gotham embracing him as hero.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Who's Manta? ;)

14. Samurai8472

Setting movies in between TDK and TDKR could provide a soft reboot after Nolan is done.

He can still produce Batman 4 and the new director can cast a new Batman

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

8 years. That leads me to think that Nolan will really finish his Batman story by maybe having Batman die. Would he do it? It's always been a vibe i've gotten from his Batman movies that Batman was gonna pay big time in the end for a life of crime fighting, that he couldn't just continue on always doing that. This will be final closure for the character in these movies.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I was thinking just yesterday that they could squeeze in a TV show to cover those missing years.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Candidly killing off Batman would really piss me off. I really hope they don't do that.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

19. Samurai8472

From the trailer Batman will be extremely physically exhausted.

I imagine a scene with a staggering Batman. He's almost about to die. Bane has already been defeated

It would be very heartbreaking. As he falls to the ground Catwoman whispers in his ear

"Get up. Gotham needs it's Knight"

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, he's had 8 years to plan his resurrection should he need it. He'll be back. ;)