Best Starfleet Captains

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kooz, Dec 24, 2011.

1. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Sadly, no. He appeared only on screen on TNG's "The Wounded." Excellent episode, BTW. It's a shame that he was not brought back on DS9 as a Maquis Officer or at least a Maquis sympathizer.

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Captain Erika Hernandez, captain U.S.S. Columbia, NX-02 (various episodes of Enterprise, the Destiny series of novels)

4. Captain Data, acting captain U.S.S. Sutherland, NCC-72015, captain U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-E, captain U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-F (TNG: "Redemption", the pre-ST:2009 comic series Countdown, TNG novel "Imzadi")

3. Captain Morgan Bateson, captain U.S.S. Bozeman, NCC-1941, captain U.S.S. Atlas, registry unknown (TNG: "Cause and Effect", Star Trek: First Contact, misc novels)

2. Captain Spock, captain U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701, captain U.S.S. Surak, registry unknown. (TOS movies, misc novels, DC Comics Star Trek series)

1. Commodore Sarah Chandler, captain of U.S.S. Triumphant, NCC-170090, and Fleet Commander for the auxiliary ships attached to the farship U.S.S. Aurora (my fan fic captain)

3. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

5) Captain James T. Kirk
    4) Capt. J.T. Kirk
    3) Jim Kirk
    2) James Tiberius Kirk
    1) Kirk

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

You forgot Admiral Kirk... :lol:

5. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Hard to be a Maquis while being incarcerated in a Federation prison.

1) Archer
    2) Picard
    3) Sisko
    4) Pike
    5) Kirk

6. Kooz

Kooz Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm re-watching Enterprise, and halfway through the second season. While I find the show is sort of ambling along, I am gaining a new respect for Archer.

7. Wil has a posse

Wil has a posse Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Saratoga's captain, played by Madge Sinclair, was pretty badass.

Ditto for Tryla Scott.

8. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I think Tryla Scott could have been cool, but as far as canon is concerned she was in all of one episode, and she was under parasite control the whole time.

I see her getting a lot of love on forums (same with Rachel Garrett) but it all seems to be based on a singular appearance. It would have been nicer to see more canon appearances by either character.

9. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    Michael Eddington reported that Cal Hudson was killed during some kind of Maquis mission.

10. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    Who?

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing that's always baffled me about the end of that episode. On the E-D, we see Admiral Quinn sitting up and doing fine by the end, does that mean that Tryla Scott and the others all recovered with no ill effects as well?

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

It was never seen, but Beverley did suggest that the only way to disable the zombie officers was with a phaser set on a high setting.

It was never followed up in canon, but its extremely likely everyone else died.

13. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

As far as Garrett goes, only Sisko went up against more ships He though was helped by gods who needed him. He might have even had an idea that the Prophets would intervene.

Garrett was going it alone, knowing she would lose. Knowing that losing might save the Federation. That's why she's such a bad ass.

14. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Very true. I had hoped that once the Dominion War was declared, Starfleet would've realized that Maxwell was right and they would've commuted his sentence. A pact could've been formed with the surviving Maquis, etc. We might've seen Tom Riker again. Still, I have no complaints about DS9 and the way the writers handles the DW arc. It was excellent television.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

They might have commuted his sentance, that doesn't mean he would be given command again though.

16. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe not a command, but surely a posting as tactical advisor on some admiral's Flag Staff.

17. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Regardless of whether Maxwell was right, he had no right to endanger his crew and the rest of the quadrant by unilaterally deciding how to handle the situation. If he wanted to fly along the edge of the border with a spy camera, fine. The Cardassians could bitch about it, but if they get caught, there's nothing they can do about it. Actually violating Cardassian territorial sovereignty...not cool.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that part of what Starfleet Captains do? Maxwell's only true offense was violating Starfleet's direct orders, once he was given them. We saw all the hero Captains act unilaterally, proven correct (eventually) Maxwell would have been exonerated of the majority of the charges against him.

A new combat command would be likely.

Isn't that part of what Starfleet Captains do?

")

19. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

No, not to the point of starting their own war. (And before you ask, yes, Sisko should be liable for the similar things he has done.)

20. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

Leaving out anyone who was a series regular for the sake of making it more interesting...

Rachel Garrett for sure. A tragic figure who knew what needed to be done and was willing to do it, even knowing it meant all-but-certain death for her and her crew.

I liked Erika Hernandez from Enterprise and wouldn't have minded seeing more of her.

I kind of liked Captain Keogh of the Odyssey (DS9), though he didn't get much screen time before the Jem'Hadar blew him up.

Leaving canon, I'm a fan of Peter David's version of Captain Taggert of the Repulse.