S'chn-T' Gaii Spock?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nardpuncher, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I said to leave it be. I asked you to leave it be. I really didn't think you would, but truthfully, there's a part of me that hoped you would (like an annoying sit-com character that you need tomake the show complete) but I asked you to leave it alone.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^What? I didn't reopen the apostrophe argument. I simply pointed out that there was another proposed name for Spock in the '80s. I just used the apostrophe thing as a segue. Jeez, if I'd known you weren't joking and were actually that sensitive about it, I would've found a different segue.

3. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

"To pronounce it correctly...I would have to pull out your tongue."

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The name Xtmprszntwlfd, suggested by DC Fontana, IIRC, came from the same ask-the-experts convention panel as the coining of Tiberius, by David Gerrold, for Kirk's middle name starting with T, which he then made a point of adding to the script of "Bem" (TAS). It was at similar panels that Penda Uhura and Walter Sulu were popularised and passed into early "fanon", with approval of Nicholls and Takei.

Hikaru Sulu came from "The Entropy Effort" and was canonised in ST VI. Nyota Uhura came from "ST II Biographies" and was popularised by "Uhura's Song".

He did leave it be. He avoided discussion of apostrophe names completely, and told a different anecdote.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not quite correct, although some aspects have already been "accuratized" in this thread...

In "This Side of Paradise", the name that could not be pronounced was Spock's "another" name. Whether that would be first or last is unknown - but Spock's response suggests there are indeed just two names. Or then Spock is merely being logical and trying not to contradict the attractive lady when the odds of scoring are otherwise high.

In "Journey to Babel", the name that could not be pronounced was not Sarek's family name, but Amanda's "Vulcan name". The two need not be the same thing. Perhaps Amanda has gained a Vulcan name she is supposed to use instead of Amanda, not in addition to Amanda?

All we know for certain is that "Mrs. Sarek" is an incorrect form of address for Amanda. But it's a two-stage process: first Amanda rejects Kirk's "Mrs. Sarek" by insisting that he say "Amanda" instead, and then she adds that he couldn't pronounce "the Vulcan name". So perhaps the Vulcan name is what should be used instead of "Amanda", and not what should be used instead of "Mrs. Sarek"...?

Timo Saloniemi

6. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Nah, we had a thread a long time ago where people were talking about Trek novels in the 80s and the stuff we didn't miss from that time. I said I didn't miss the overuse of apostrophes and buddy tried to show me how my opinion was wrong.
    In the post where I flipped out on him it was because he specifically said he didn't know what was so 80s about the use of apostrophes.

7. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

In the Vulcan Soul trilogy it's suggested that the young people can rename themselves particularly after the survival in the desert thing, and I think it was Vulcan Academy Murders that discuss Sarek's naming of Spock and some element of merging family names - which was portrayed as a traditional way of naming children.

The first name issue was that it was considered deeply intimate and a name not given to most acquaintances - only the most cherished of friends.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which, as I already said and Therin verified, was not at all the point of my post.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Flipped out is correct. :rommie:

10. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I was restraining myself too.:lol:

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, you really weren't. You basically freaked out over something Christopher used to change the topic -- you freaked out because he did exactly what you asked him to do. You really owe him an apology.

12. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I likened him to an annoying sit-com character. I'm sure he's heard worse than that in real life. So no, I won't apologize.

Anyway, back on topic. Do you think T.J Hooker's initials stood for Tiberious James?