My Grievances of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mycroft Maxwell, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

If they were attached in TOS, they didn't in TUC. The bridge chairs had wheels.

The Prime Trek Universe sucked.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The answer behind everything strange in the Trek universe :lol:

3. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

better than TWO of the three prequel films. laughable.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. ChowdaHead

5. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

You're completely right, I got a little carried away there.

One of the three.

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I can picture in my mind Sulu rolling around the deck trapped by his seatbelt in the chair trying to get out.
    How embarressing :lol:

All 3.
    Can't stand any of those prequels. I'd rather watch the hangover trilogy,

7. BigJake

It's high time they rebooted that franchise. :p

* looks thoughtfully at photo of J.J. Abrams and strokes beard * Hmmm...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  8. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

:lol:

9. ChowdaHead

why do I not find this surprising in the least?

10. BigJake

Way I see it there are three possibilities:

a) You secretly have an Organian ancestor who can see through the folds of space and time.
    b) You secretly have the highest midichlorian count on Earth and can see through the folds of space and time.
    c) It's a joke, and you set yourself up for it too beautifully to resist.

I'm going with b). You're one of them there, whatchacallit, Jedis. But plus you trained on Vulcan, so you're also really logical and deductive, which extends your powers even further.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"Your winnings, sir."

12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.

Look, if I'd found the movie not as bad as I'd thought it would be, I would say so. After all, back in 1975 I had that reaction to Star Trek in the first place. I thought the point-eared guy looked dumb, but watched an episode anyway (By Any Other Name), and figured, "Hey, that wasn't so bad. I'll watch some more episodes." And two weeks later I had to admit to being hooked.

However, in this instance, the movie is as bad as I thought it would be, and in some cases worse (as I mention in another thread).

I'm not required to like every variety of Star Trek, and I have the right to say that without all the personal digs being aimed at me. I also have the right to say that TO ME - that's a subjective opinion - nuTrek doesn't feel like Star Trek.

13. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I can totally get that too. I didn't have high hopes for STID, but I hoped to at least have a good time with it. In some cases I did. I loved the beginning of it and wish that the rest of the movie was more like that sequence that felt very original and fun. The rest? I'm pretty mixed.

I had low expectations of THOR. I thought it looked like a turkey and that I rolled my eyes at anyone that actually gave it the time of day. "The God of Thunder? The fuck is this?" Then I actually watched the damn flick and it's now my favorite of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films. It was such a pleasant surprise, and I kinda wish I had that with STID beyond the opening sequence.

14. ChowdaHead

haha. that was really funny man. maybe we can set aside our differences and become frie..........er.........acquaintances. ;)baby steps. I too am a huge fan of Star Wars. I love the original trilogy with my whole heart. Empire is in my top 3 favorite films of all time. but you MUST agree. the midichlorian bullshit is on the same level as the idea that Neo is simply a pawn of the Machines and that he is part of a process that has already run its course five times before. The mystery gets shat upon. the force was beautiful without any of that nonsense. and the Matrix was cooler when Neo believed he would start a Revolution.

15. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not going to lie, I love Abrams Trek. It was always meant to be different and even Abrams stated this from the beginning with the tagline "this isn't your father's Star Trek". Right there, Trekkies should have been worried, I suppose. Me? As a fan of Star Trek since TNG (although I love the TOS movies and grew up with them as well) I felt Abrams did a great job of introducing a more updated, sleeker Star Trek without disrespecting the franchise by "over-writing" it. He used Trek logic to bring us an all new universe that's filled with colorful, yet familiar characters and spectacular effects, environments, ships and designs.

My only issue with the Alternate Universe movies is the lack of exploration that has always been a part of the series. It's called STAR TREK for a reason. Bizarrely, I actually thought the video game was much closer to being Star Trek in some ways than the movies are. That said, I hope if there is another movie, they pick up from where they left off with Into Darkness with Kirk and crew's five year mission to "explore strange new words, to seek out new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before."

16. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

You realize that only three of the last twelve trek movies have depicted any kind of exploration whatsoever?

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

What mystery? The fact we learned in 1983, that any children of Anakin would automatically be considered a threat to Palpatine?

So you saw what's under the hood. Get over it. How does knowing what's under the hood shit on the experience of driving the car?

18. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

^Yep. The movies have never been the venue for Trek to do actual "Trekking".

19. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I do but the exception was they were movies extending from an already existing series in their respective universe. Abrams Trek is a new universe with "new" characters. I know they just started their five year mission so hopefully the next film will deal with themes of exploring and/or discovery somehow.

As I mentioned, I love everything about the Alternate Universe so it's just more of a theme I'd like to see since this Trek doesn't have a TV show to do it with.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's odd that you would say "of the last twelve trek movies" when there are only 12 to begin with. Let's see.

2. The Reliant exploring what they thought was Ceti Alpha Six.
    3. The Grissom exploring the Genesis Planet.
    5. The Enterprise going to the center of the galaxy.
    9. The Federation's duck blind in the Briar Patch.
    12. The planet of primitives with Underwater Enterprise.

I count at least five Trek films showing some kind of exploration whatsoever.