So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I'm almost done with KMFB's 'Acts of Contrition' and I like it so much that I skipped a much-needed shower before work today in order to finish the chapter I was reading. I did make it work on time, barely, and did not read while driving, so my borderline-obsessive interest in the storyline does have limits. Really great novel, I recommend it to everyone. Development of familiar characters, new and interesting alien races, space battles, new tech, political intrigue - it's got it all. Kirsten Beyer has the formula down and executes it brilliantly.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

See, this is why we need self-driving cars -- so we can read while driving. Or, err, being driven. By our cars.

3. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Totally agreed, Chris. Up until August, I lived in an area that allowed me to take the bus to work and back, it's been a difficult adjustment to having to tell myself to 'PUT THE F***ING BOOK DOWN AND GO HAVE A LIFE'. It was easier knowing I could pick it back up again in a couple minutes if I was involved in an especially riveting part. There have been several times I've had my nose buried in a book from when I arrived at the bus stop until I opened the back door to the kitchen. I'm sure at least a couple of them have been yours.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Flattering, but for heaven's sake, be careful crossing the street!

5. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm on book 3 at the moment, I'm not a fan of Mr Mack's treatment of certain characters:

Just as I get used to Jasminder, bang. Then Book 2 doesn't exactly let us off with E* and W* biting the dust :(

After the slaughter of destiny, I'm not looking forward to finding out who inevitably fails to make it through book 3. It had better not be Chen

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

"I agree."

7. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JD5000, I know exactly how you feel. I taught English for two years in Seoul, and the public transit system there is second to none. I read on the subway every day. Now, I'm back living in rural Alberta, which means driving. My book sits on the passenger seat next to me with my lunch, taunting me. I miss those uninterrupted periods of reading. Sigh.

In any case, I've posted my review of the Q Are Cordially Uninvited... e-book by Rudy Josephs.

Right now, I'm reading my second Star Wars novel ever: A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller, as well as finishing up the last few pages of the final book of the Terok Nor trilogy, Raise the Dawn.

8. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Ha ha, I've almost walked into a couple fences, but no serious accidents so far. These days sometimes I'm guilty of leaving for work early just so I can sit in the parking lot and read for just a few more minutes before I have to clock in.

I'm currently searching Amazon for a new book, I had 'Hive' lined up but I didn't realize it was a graphic novel when I bought it. I do most of my reading via Kindle app on my phone, which doesn't translate graphic novels well for people with poor eyesight, so that one's gonna have to take a backseat.

9. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I arrived at work earlier than normal one day last week, so did this too - lord, was it hard to put the book away and go into work :lol:

Just finishing Ceremony of Losses - very enjoyable read.

10. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just got my copy of David Mack's new Section 31 book, so I'm gonna dive right in :)

11. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

After an hour of searching through Amazon's listings and sorting through books I've already read and German versions of books (why, Amazon???) I settled on "Devil in the Sky', a DS9 episodic novel by Greg Cox and John Betancourt. Good start, I'm enjoying the Insight into the minds and culture of the Horta.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Glad you're enjoying the book. That was actually my first Trek book, some twenty years ago.

If you're interested, I mostly wrote all the scenes on the station with the baby Hortas, while John Betancourt wrote all the scenes involving the away team and the rescue mission. Then we got together one snowy evening to write the ending together, once the plotlines merged again . . ..

13. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you go to advanced search you can limit the hits to english titles.

14. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Just started reading Rise Like Lions (having re-read the thread on Disavowed) - Smiley and Calhoun? I'm really looking forward to this :D

15. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I'm totally interested Greg, that's a big part of why I post here. I love that a lot of the authors I read pop in and offer insight into the books I'm reading from their experience writing them. To be honest, if I'm unsure about what to read next, I'll usually choose something by an author that I know frequents here, because the additional interaction and 'insider knowledge' makes the reading that much more enjoyable. In return, I enjoy giving positive feedback to the people that make a living off entertaining me. If the situations were reversed, I know I would like to hear it. I like positive energy flow.

Just got off work - now back to my book!

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Okay, more on the backstory of that book, or "How I Got My Foot in the Door at Star Trek." Basically, when DS9 was announced, editor John Ordover suddenly needed to launch a DS9 book line right away, and he couldn't just rely on his usual stable of Trek writers because many of them were already tied up with TOS and TNG projects, so he needed a bunch of new writers--STAT. As it happened, Betancourt and I had recently collaborated on some BATMAN stories for DC, which Ordover had read, so he asked us if we could get him a DS9 book ASAP, and the rest is history . . .

To give credit where it's due, the basic idea for the book came from Ordover, who then assigned it to us.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  17. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I wish I was a faster reader, or maybe I just need to set more time aside to read.

Halfway through reading "Ex Machina", which I was eager to read because it continues the story of V'Ger.

I should probably add that, although I own almost all of Christopher's books, this is my first time reading one of them.

I like it.

It's a bit on the slow going side, with a lot of internal dialogue. The "cute references" to other shows, episodes and movies are well placed. Not a lot has happened in the book so far, but it does seem to be building towards something. And it well-written because it keeps me moving along despite its deliberate pacing. The only problem I'm having is that I'm having trouble imagining Spock in this phase of his life. It's a combination of TMP and TWOK, but I still have a hard time imagining Spock being so open.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  18. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I finally finished A Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson. I have to say that was one of the best Trek books I have ever read. Although I wish it wasn't a standalone, it makes sense this way. I really love Robinson for writing this novel. Kudos to him.

19. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Death Without Company, the second Walt Longmire book, by Craig Johnson.

I then read Richard Castle's A Calm Before Storm, the third Derrick Storm comic, written by Peter David.

I'm now reading Star Trek: Voyager: Acts of Contrition by Kirsten Beyer.

20. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Almost finished The Lost Era "The Sundered". Absolutely awesome book! :)