Deck Plans VI: The Undiscovered Bowling Alley

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, May 30, 2008.

1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the last thread refuses to accept any more replies, it's time to kick off what will, hopefully, be the final endgame on this project.

Just as soon as Shaw is done with his little survey of the ship and the relative scale of the sets, we'll be off and running...

2. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Funny your thread title should mention a bowling alley.

Given the way starships' crews tend to get tossed around from time to time, I would think if the ship did have a "rec deck" of any kind, it would have to be holographic in nature.

3. Captain Robert April

Funny you should mention that, since I've pretty much made up my mind that the bowling alley that Lt. Riley referred to, and has become the running gag of these threads, is one of the programs in the holographic rec room we saw in the TAS episode "The Practical Joker".

4. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

I just had a thought. Why not do the bowling alley Nintendo WII style. That way you can have the 'alley' be in any sized room you want.

Also, you could have an actual alley, except that the balls and pins would be holograms projected by sensors and devices worn on the bowlers hands.

I like the second option the best.:bolian:

5. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I'll try to have some usable notes together (and drawings of a few extra sets that I don't specifically have original plans for) within the next week or so.

My wife has been firm on this stuff lately... rent and bills first, everything else second. :eek:

6. Captain Robert April

Doncha hate real life sometimes?

7. Captain Robert April

One thing that should prove useful in this endeavor: I just discovered that PSP 9 can read AutoCAD files.

:D

8. FishDS9

FishDS9 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great to see you're still going with this CA. :techman:

9. Captain Robert April

I should have it all finished up before I turn fifty.

10. Captain Robert April

IRRELEVANT UPDATE TIME!

I managed to snag an iMac at the local thrift store for around fifteen bucks, all told ($8.99 for the computer itself, another $2.99 for the keyboard that went with it, and another $1.99 for an optical mouse that seems to work fine with it, even though it's an IBM instead of the customary Apple type, which is fine by me, since I can't get the hang of a one-button mouse).

I also finally got a job, back at the Mile High Comics warehouse, where I worked around fourteen years ago. Horriblly underpaid, but at least it's an income.

11. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

Good to know things are starting to work out for you.:techman:

12. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Holy cow!

You found a CHEAP iMac!

Welcome to the Mac users' club. How old is your bargain Mac?

13. Captain Robert April

Around twelve bucks (I'm not counting the mouse, since it's a standard IBM optical mouse that'll probably see as much action with my Dell laptop as with the iMac).

14. Captain Robert April

Now if I could just get the blasted thing to work.

Who was the braniac at Apple that thought it'd be a good idea to not have an eject button for the CD-ROM drive?

15. Captain Robert April

Bump.

Hey, at least I'm being honest about it...

16. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Ugh... never much cared for iMacs, but use what ya got. I don't know who said brainiac was, but I myself would like a shot at him. Did they manage to include the tiny hole you can stick a paper clip in to override and open the drive?

17. Captain Robert April

Not that I've noticed.

18. Captain Robert April

Let this one slip a little too far.

19. Captain Robert April

Well, the iMac is slumbering off to the side for now, until I can actually find a use for the thing.

In the meantime, I've managed to snag a copy of Corel Draw 9. Is it worth going through the learning curve, or am I better off sticking with Paint Shop Pro?

20. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, but the 3 1/2 inch floppy drives had power eject back when they first came out for the Mac, Apple //e, Apple //c and Apple //gs. There was an electrical eject button on the external drives as well as a hole that would eject a disk if the drive wouldn't power up.

I never had a CD drive for my Apple //gs and never heard of someone using one on an Apple //e or Apple //c. I remember the Mac cube had a drawerless CD drive that poped a CD out the top like toast out of a toaster, apparently a mechanism similar to some automobile CD players.