Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. BryanSorensen

BryanSorensen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

I cant wait for destiny either, i already pre ordered the Enterprise novel in the series. I cant imagine the borg are in that book, it would be unusual if they were around int he alpha quadrant again in the 21st century. So who knows what it is about! i still cant wait!

2. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're referring to Kobayashi Maru, it's not part of the Destiny series. Events in the book might eventually tie-in to the trilogy, since rumours point to a least one shared character, but it's also possible that the two will have no relation to each other.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ It could be he was confused by the grossly inaccurate cover being displayed on Amazon for book one, Gods of Night. The placeholder art inexplicably features the Enterprise-era NX-01 fighting a Suliban ship — for no good reason, since neither is anywhere in the damn trilogy. This is one of those cases when someone at Amazon needs to be slapped vigorously until they learn not to put up preliminary catalog art and incorrect blurbs.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or S&S needs to stop giving out incorrect information. The fault really lies with them, not Amazon.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as Amazon sucks occasionally I agree here. Even if the final cover isn't ready yet when they publish there catalog, they at least should use something from the series the book is actually about, or just don't give out any cover to prevent retailers giving totally incorrect informations (like NX-Enterprise pictures on a 24th Century cover) to their customers. It's not Amazon's fault that S&S isn't able to use fitting placeholder covers for the novels in the catalog.

6. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ You're both wrong. It is Amazon's fault for jumping the gun and lifting content from internal documents that are not meant for retailers, instead of waiting for approved official content from the publisher. The preview catalogs are created for S&S's internal sales force — not for the public.

7. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

What's the point of putting covers and blurbs that are BOTH wrong on documents, though? Surely it's false advertising - even with a company - when the list goes round with information about this book being published and the only correct thing on the information is the title and the author?

8. Trent Roman

^ The people for whom the catalogue is intended, the internal sales force, are well aware that the catalogue's descriptions are preliminary or placeholders. And it's hardly false advertising since the people concerned are S&S employees, not retailers or the eventual readership.

9. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I really don't get the point about why you'd put out something so innacurate - even just as an internal thing. What's the point? What do they gain from putting up a cover that doesn't match the book and a description that doesn't match the book either? Surely all the internal sales force would need to know is that there's a Star Trek tilogy coming out, when it's coming out and perhaps who it's by.

IF they need to know what the book is about then why not provide them with a cover that is passable to the period or a halfway accurate description of the novel (which, from all David's protestations, this isn't).

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

But who would S&S's sales force be selling the book to?

That would be distributors and retailers.

It's disingenuous of Dave to say that the catalog isn't meant for retailers, when it's the very tool that S&S uses to sell retailers on buying Pocket's product.

11. Trent Roman

EDIT: In reply to tenmei.

While I'm not an S&S employee so can't really speak to their practices, I would theorize that the internal catalogue is laid out that way because it communicates better than a simple list of titles and authors. Most people are visual, they respond--and remember--better when there's imagery, and a blurb they can attach to the book gives a vague impression of what the book is actually about beyond the title, which can also be useful. It doesn't matter that it's inaccurate, because those who receiving the listings are aware that it's a work in progress, that somebody elsewhere in the company is changing these things even as they read it, and they're mentally prepared to substitute whatever they've already seen with fresher information when it becomes available. The point of such catalogues is to offer an impression of upcoming titles, what you should roughly be expecting to come down the line, not hard data since a lot of it isn't pinned down yet. When such pictures and blurbs get leaked to us, it's our fault if we ignore the preliminary, temporary and mutable nature of the listing and take them as gospel truth.

Hm. You've got me there. Obviously I don't know enough about the way this all works.

12. danjamesb

danjamesb Commander Red Shirt

Well, quite.

Which is why I refuse to believe the descriptions are as inaccurate as is being suggested.

The exact wording may have changed since those descriptions were released, but the plots described can't be that different from the finished books.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not an S&S employee in any for but from the catalouges I've read on the internet, they don't really seem to be that inaccurate, but they are very very rough. They usually seem to just cover the very baisic idea of the book, without really going into alot depth about the plot.

14. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has anyone noticed an interesting link.

Ensign Ezri Tigan was the assistant counsellor on the USS Destiny, before she was introduced to us on Deep Space Nine, and now she's a Captain in a trilogy of the same title?

15. stupidname

stupidname Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've often read on this board people maintain that trek books are capable of standing alone, so this might seem like a redundant question... but am i going to be able to pick up destiny and understand it given that i haven't read anything since Avatar?

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, like you even said, the authors always try to make it so people who haven't read any of the books can still pick up a new book and understand it fine. But we do know that there are several books that are out, or will be soon, that tie into the events of Destiny.
    These books are:
    Titan: Sword of Damocles
    TNG: Before Dishonor and TNG: Greater Than the Sum
    maybe ENT: Kobayashi Maru
    And Before Dishonor in turn builds off of the previous two TNG novels Resistance and Q & A.
    Like I said before, you shouldn't need to read any of these books, but it would probably add to the Destiny experience if you've read the stuff before it.

17. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

but then, if you're going to read "Sword of Damocles", you ought to read the first three TTN books, and the A Time To series...

but you don't HAVE to...

18. Trent Roman

I'd be incredibly surprised if you couldn't. High-profile 'event' books like this are usually seen as good 'jumping-on points'. I have every confidence that Mack will give you all the data you need.

19. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

I beg to differ on a very small thing here. Beyond grabbing the few new people's names it's pretty clear from reading Before Dishonor, that Before Dishonor was written with no knowledge of the events in Q&A.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I figured I would include since it goes between the other two, and builds off of Resistance.