Voyager again, for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by NightJim, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BA56

BA56 Cadet Newbie

Re: Dragons Teeth.

Yes, the unspoken moral of voyager seems to be--"don't trust strangers".

The Voyager Conspiracy

I thought they could have explored paranoia a little more deeply here.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

At least, not ones that look vaguely like cobras.

3. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm currently rewatching Season 4 of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, but after I finished watching the rest of the season, I plan to return to watching Star Trek Voyager all over again from Season 1 to Season 7.:)

4. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

OMG... BotD is one of my top 10 shows.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kim runs up to the Captain in a desperate fuss... "Captain Janeway! Captain Janeway! Captain Janeway! Captain Janeway! Captain Janeway! PLEASE! I'm having these dreams about a girl who puts out and doesn't laugh at me for having feelings! Please let the Doctor medically induce me into a coma so that I can be with the woman I love! PLEASE!"

6. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Been awhile since I remembered to post here. Watched a few episodes though.

Pathfinder
    Barclay and Troi episode. Nice touch with a good reference to how things are going back in the Delta Quadrant now that Starfleet knows that Voyager is alive out there. Barclay's one of those characters everyone seems to love in retrospect, and this episode made me remember why it's in retrospect. He annoyed me during the show, but now, a few weeks later, I remember the whole thing with a smile.

Fair Haven
    Strange this comes straight after Holo-addiction man himself. On TNG, and we were reminded of last week, getting your rocks off in the holodeck wasn't exactly well thought of. This episode the Doctor practically orders Janeway to do it, and Chakotay admits it like it's something everyone does. Maybe the crew of the Enterprise were just prudes. Still an interesting look into life aboard a stranded ship. Especially for its undersexed Captain.

Blink of an Eye
    I liked this one. One of those awesome sci-fi concepts that Star Trek TNG onwards would tend to stay away from.

Virtuoso
    Star Trek has its say on the fleetingness and how all encompassing Celebrity can be.
    I've forgiven a lot of bad episodes purely because of Picardo's acting before. Here I can't. I getting a bit sick of them trotting out his singing ability. Impressive as it is.

Memorial
    Sorry, don't care its intention. This is practically mindrape. I tend to lean more towards Chakotay's arguement, but solution wise I'd go for something a bit more in-between, dial down the range or something. Make it a choice to have those memories by touching the monolith.

7. Guy Gardener

It was near the end of Voyager that I saw a rerun of the A-Team, something I hadn't looked in on since the early 80s... Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooah.

You haven't seen us railing on Memorial as a THE Rape episode?

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Agree. I love this episode. A REAL SCI-FI feel to it.

Mind raping in Star Trek is accepted. TNG's: Inner Light is widly revered as one of Star Trek's finest episodes.

9. Guy Gardener

The Inner Light machine worked to specifications perfectly.

The Memorial machine was broken.

Besides consider the lessons.

Inner light "We are good people who got blowed up by our sun, and this is how we lived."

Memorial "We are asshole space Nazis that started a war no one could win. I know you think being an asshole space Nazi sounds cool, but don't, it's really actually in retrospect after decades of examination "a dick move","

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But Picard never asked to have that happen to him, he never consented. Imagine if he was a more fragile person, might have utterly screwed him up. Did he get specifically picked because he could hack it? I don't recall it that way.

I sure as hell wouldn't want it to happen to me. I have enough life, I don't need to be channeling decades of someone elses.

11. Guy Gardener

Inner light was an intentional rape machine, that gave you a pleasant and uplifting experience while being raped.

Memorial was a cordoned off rape zone with clearly marked /define borders, and flashing beacons warning/alerting/inviting passing space travellers that if they want to experience a ####ed piece of history in a proscribed way that is not a surprise, willingly, then they should cross the neon border into the rape zone and... Yeah, if everything is "working" then it's not rape. The telepathic addition to your memories is a consensual act. You're asking for the experience you get, just like going though any other drive-through and coming out the other end with the happymeal you ordered.

By the time Janeway got there, the cordon had vanished, and the beacon had run out of gas and whatever caretaker was supposed to be looking after that "joyride" and taking account of customer safety and feedback had got drunk and wandered off centuries earlier, so everything was not "working" and an element of rapeyness had entered, and then dominated this theme park, that no one had intended when it was designed and built.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  12. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

The Inner Light machine was a mind rape machine.

Just because we love the story doesn't change that fact.

13. Guy Gardener

You know that there's subtext under my text?

Roll your sleeves up and dig a little.

14. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

I hadn't but I'm glad it's how it's seen. I sort of go out of my way to not read spoilers. Now I'm halfway through season 6 I'm starting to feel comfortable looking at half of the threads on this board.

But I think you might be giving the rapists more credit than they deserve Guy. I don't think they put in a cordon or anything. It seemed like it was "Come near this planet and will rip your brain open and shove our space-nazi memories in without any warning." Janeway at least put one up.

15. Guy Gardener

snip.

The massacre was 300 years earlier, but the memorial had only been neglected for 200 years. So the memorial must have had a support staff for the first century, which is as good if not better than a warning buoy.

Can you imagine what happened to Disneyland on the The Planet of the Apes after a couple centuries?

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So do you think they just stopped getting paid and left?

17. Guy Gardener

Punters would have stopped paying to use the Memorial first.

Admission prices for the Museum of Tolerance in New York City, circa 2014.

18. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Fair enough. I missed the bit about it being only neglected for 200 years. I did realise it was transmitting the whole thing and not fragmented originally, I'm just saying just because the signal was clearer doesn't mean they necessarily guarded it better. I got the impression the whole point was anyway getting too close was meant to the have the full memories implanted with the idea being "Here's how we committed war crimes. Don't do that!"

19. Guy Gardener

Remember had B'Elanna given the memories of an Ethnic cleansing. Nemesis had the crew given the memories of a little war... But here's the real issue, the Hirogen left without packing up their shit in The Killing Game. Whatever they were using to brainwash the crew into believing that they were other people (Unless it was Starfleet tech.) was pulled apart, figured out, and a counter must have been developed... Unless they were dopey morons who wanted to be slaves to the Hirogen all-over again in a couple months.

Weaponizing this would be hilarious.

Space pirates attack.

Janeway fires a beam.

For the next week, at least half the crew of alien pirates thinks that they are Harry, and completely loyal to Starfleet.

20. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Tsunkaste

During this (extremely slow) marathon I hadn't seen any of season 6 before. Not even part 2 of Equinox. But This one I had seen. Maybe I went out of my way to watch The Rock episode. I at least remembered how little he was in it anyway. What was more amusing this time was Weyoun and Martok suddenly being in the Delta Quadrant. I know Trek likes to reuse actors, but two that had such a big part of one of their other series? I know both have heavy make up in both roles (well not so much Coombs) but they also have very distinct voices too. It's the same problem with Kazon Nog way back.

Other than that, an okay episode. If predictable.