So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps not, but does that mean we'll be stuck forever in Generations? :vulcan:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's somewhat appropriate, don't you think?

3. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I'm now reading Leverage: The Con Job.

4. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My readings so far this year are:
    "The Statesman's Book" by John of Salisbury which I mentioned in my last post.

"Timaeus and Critias" by Plato this was translated by Desmond Lee with an appendix on 'Atlantis' wherein it is suggested Plato was the first science fiction writer.

"The Being of the Beautiful" Part I: Theaetetus by Plato translated with commentary by Seth Benardete.

"Only Superhuman" by Christopher L. Bennett -- this book inspired me to study a few interesting themes: Beauty & Truth, Demagoguery & Statesmanship, and, Eugenics. Human modification.

"Ragnarok" by A. S. Byatt (not the VOY book). The eschatology and commentary on myth were interesting.

"As We Speak" by Peter Meyers & Shann Nix. A good book on public speaking. Helps connect the dots from modern communications technology and methods towards what may happen in various futures.

"The Being of the Beautiful" Part II: Sophist by Plato and translated with commentary by Seth Benardete. Challenging trilogy.

"Across the Universe" by Sargent & Zebrowski. This is ST-TOS #88 and was my first ST novel of the year. I shall have to catch up. Did buy many novels in hardcopy and e-copy formats.

"Essays in Eugenics" by Francis Galton. Got the book from internet archives but while looking up the author, I got onto a comprehensive Nazi website. Historians would love it but I was a bit perturbed. At least eugenics makes an interesting Valentine topic.

Now I am to read "Being of the Beautiful" Part III: Statesman by Plato translated with commentary by Seth Benardete; and, "The Joy Machine" by James Gunn based on the story by Theodore Sturgeon. ST-TOS #80.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the public library got some books in, so I checked out three new Star Trek books: Brinksmanship, Silent Weapons and The Body Electric. I'm especially excited for the 2 Cold Equations books, I loved #1, and figured it would be months before the next parts came out (thats what I get for assuming and not looking online). My Typhon Pact reading has been weird. I started on Plagues of Night, and have just continued from there (my library doesn't have books 1-3 or 5, so its not like I had a choice, although I still need to read Paths of Disharmony) but I haven't became lost.

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Erm, you could buy the books?

7. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After finishing The Floating Admiral, I'm game to pick up that one some time. Unfortunately the only one of the detectives I'm really familiar with is Lord Peter Wimsey, which might make the book less enjoyable. Or does it?

Meanwhile, everyone can see what I'm reading now from my avatar and signature. :)

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

At the time I read Ask a Policeman, the only detective in the book I was familiar with was Wimsey. I don't think the lack of knowledge on my part made it difficult to understand.

The way I remember it (and it's been about fifteen years since I last read it), AaP has an opening act of about a quarter of the book where the mystery is set up. Then there are four short stories by members of the Detection Club where they swap detectives and have them offer solutions to the mystery. Then there's an epilogue where we find out the real solution to the mystery.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's actually a little disturbing, in-story. These four great detectives, and only one of them figures out the right answer? That's a pretty low success rate, and it calls their deductions in their solo adventures into question.

10. Keturah

Keturah Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I currently enjoying Plagues of Night. I really like the way it's tied together a few of the Typhon Pact storylines. I've seen complaints that the stories are somewhat fragmented, but that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it's been perfect for me right now because if I just have a few minutes I can read one complete scene in a short sitting. Looking forward to Raise the Dawn.

11. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

The Persistence of Memory and The Space Between. The latter is a...Christian take on new urbanism, which is a fascinating combination.

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That problem is acknowledged in the book. I don't remember how it's dealt with.

13. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone other than Dorothy L. Sayers writing Lord Peter. Hmmmm.

I have to admit I'm a bit interested in seeing how that goes. ;)

14. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Ian Fleming: On her majesty's secret service

15. Smellincoffee

As I'm reading Persistence of Memory, I can't help but note that I seem to be missing some of the background. When did Data find his mother and fall in love?!

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Data met his "mother" in the TNG episode, "Inheritance."

Data became romantically involved with a female crew member in the TNG ep, "In Theory."

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think Smellincoffee is referring to Rhea McAdams, who was introduced in Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang. As Dave states in the acknowledgments, the entire Cold Equations trilogy is essentially a sequel to Immortal Coil.

18. Smellincoffee

Note to self, I haven't seen every episode of TNG...apparently. :lol:

I was indeed. Thank you both for the response. Now I have a paperback to investigate (after this trilogy, anyway) and an episode to watch...).

So far I'm enjoying it -- I rather like the Soongs. Arik Soong is one of the reasons I like Enterprise's 4th season so much.

19. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I've finished Jeri Taylor's Mosaic, and I thought it was pretty solid, despite not being a huge fan of the TV show Voyager.

Next, I'm reading Peter Telep's Ghost Recon: Choke Point.

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading book3 of Errand of Fury These books are writen alot like the Typhon pact books when it comes to the political stuff going on in the Federation and the Klingon Empire.I've really enjoyed reading this series of books again.I plan on reading TNG Dyson sphere next.