Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I admit I'm out of date on Ultimate Marvel, but why does Ultimate Nick Fury look like the regular Marvel version now?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's wanted as a traitor, because his president was a coward who was willing to let the world boil.

Holographic disguise.

There was a new Civil war.

Lasted a year our time.

An election.

Steve Rogers won as a write in vote.

Captain America hasn't gotten around to pardoning Fury yet.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That isn't Ultimate Nick Fury. Someone who appears to be 616 Nick was detected. It hasn't been explained yet...it could be as Guy suggests and some kind of holographic disguise, an LMD, or 616 entering the Ultimate 'Verse since the portal from "Spider-Men" is still accessible, and Ultimate Nick has also gone to alternate realities.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed Savage Wolverine 1. It wasn't spectacular, but it set up the mystery of the cursed island nicely. My only complaint-- I'm buying the book because I like the character of Amadeus Cho of Incredible Hercules fame, who is to be the third main character of the book behind Wolverine and Shanna. Amadeus, however, didn't appear in the first issue. :scream:

5. Admiral_Young

I'd have Amadeus join the Future Foundation :) He's on the same intelligence level as Val, probably smarter.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I go with 15+. In The Thing #8 by Dan Slott, Ben had a Bar Mitzvah ceremony marking 13 years since he was "reborn" as The Thing. That was just before Civil War. Since then, Captain America was "dead" for about a year of story time (as per Captain America 600, which led into "Reborn"), and we can assume that a year of "Marvel time" has passed since Cap's return.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It just doesn't work like that, how much time has passed will be how much the writer of any specific story wants to have passed - it doesn't make any sense, has never made any sense and will never make any sense.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think that the further in the past you go, the more nebulous the time frame and continuity. I think they said that the time since "Siege" was one year, and that "Dark Reign" lasted a year... but I'm sure the events of the 70s only took place over a single year or so.

If you think about it, one comic book usually takes place over one day. And the end directly leads into the next issue. So if one issue equals 1-2 days, then a 700 issue comic book is only 1,000 days or so.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With today's decompressed story telling it's closer to 4-6 issues=1 day.

10. Admiral_Young

Indestructible Hulk #3 I believe implied I believe that it's been "a year" since the "alien invasion" which I think Maria Hill was inferring was the Skrull invasion. Figuring out Marvels' "sliding timeline" is worse than even making sense of the New 52's five year time line. I remember EJA hated the sliding timeline IIRC! :)

11. Mike Farley

They never learn their lesson not to refer to specific time passages. Secret Invasion didn't happen "a year ago" it happened "a while back."

12. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

don't even bother trying to figure out Marvel's sliding time scale. that way lies madness.

13. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Boy is the Captain America book just horrid. Bad art and a poor story are not a good mix. Also the flashbacks of preteen Steve are just doing nothing for me. Being stuck in Dimension Z might have sounded like a good idea, but needs to wrap up in a hurry.

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's dreadful - not sure what has happened to JRJR's art but it's really gone to shit - those kids with giant heads were particularly bad.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

His art has been like that since Avengers. It was even worse in AvX.

16. Admiral_Young

Steve looks like an older Dave from Kick-Ass and the kid "Ian" looks like Mindy!! His art in "Avengers" was horrid...he actually managed to make Spider-Woman look ugly! His "Kick-Ass" art though is awesome. I don't understand the contrast lol. I'm digging the story in "Captain America" though.

17. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Looks like we get Mr. Strickland from Back to the Future in the new Nova book. Art is not exactly looking great, very Saturday morning cartoon. Hopefully the story will hold my interest.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't expect much story from a Jeph Loeb book. The man really hasn't written anything good for along time.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In marvel books he doesn't get to say who his inker(s) are. They can saddle him with some real turds, and you can't be an asshole and tell some one they suck, becuase then they'll never leave while they stop "trying", so then your work gets even worse.

John Byrne went a special kind of insane while doing Namor in the early nineties. He wrote, pencilled, inked, coloured and LETTERED the book for several months.

20. Mike Farley

And it came out on time. And I'm pretty sure he would have been doing at least one other book at the same time.

So many of the kids today can't even pencil 20 pages a month for more than 3 months before they fall behind.