What changes should be made to comics?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sciquest2525, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why you don't understand what difference it makes.

I didn't WANT to have to buy multiple titles, try to figure out which order to read them in (if any), and try to follow multiple simultaneous continuities and storylines of one character. Like I said, I'm 55, I've been buying comics for almost 5 decades, and I'm TIRED of that. Hence my delight at only having ONE title, with one continuity and one storyline to follow.

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

"This month's Team Marsupial adventure is concluded in Action Wombat #244"
    Well, shit, I don't GET Action Wombat - he's mt least favorite of Team marsupial, and I resent being subjected to this blatant sales gimmick.

It happened recently with Thor/Journey into Mystery. I was getting thoroughly bored with the adventures of Young Loki in Journey, so I ditched it. A few months later, a Thor story said it'd be continued in the next Journey. Screw it, I don't care.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

This. This is exactly why I don't buy comics; the whole doohickie comes off as an industry more interested in forcing sales through various gimmicks rather than getting them through enjoyable stories.

What's an analogy... hmm... well it feels kind of like those shops which are apparently "on sale" 90% of the year. It just feels cheap, tacky and distasteful to me, so I don't want to be part of it.

One title per character, with shorter, cheaper but more frequent issues that are widely distributed simply comes across to me as straighforward and honest in its appeal. It comes across as a title that is brave enough to sink or swim on whether the stories are good (obviously, in reality, a host of other factors will still also affect sales; I'm talking specifically about my impression of the "feel" of buying comics, which directly affects whether I want to buy them or not. Currently I do not, and haven't for decades).

4. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, this is the reason why I also stopped buying comics regularly twenty years ago. I got sick of chasing a continuing story across several different titles, as well. It was a cheap tactic from the comic book companies that wore very thin.

Sean