Continuum the new tv series!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Snick27, May 14, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it a lot...and the fact that it is set in Vancouver :)

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season one is going to conclude with Kira stepping on the face of the last terrorist AS she figures out that the so called companies will never have enough money for the bailout unless she raises it next season by selling home made cupcakes, which is when they rename the show "One Broke Time Traveller."

Seriously, when the smokingman didn't blink, I assumed he was behind it, and he could still be behind it, becuase without the terrorists, there won't be a bailout and there's a new darkage thak makes Mad Max look like Pee Wee hermans Big Top Adventure.

It's the classic bullshit of having to save Hitler becuase without him the world would be wrong and possibly worse.

3. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not a bad show, I'll keep watching. I liked the local flavor, local to me anyway.

I gotta wonder, though, if there's only 25 actors in Vancouver.

4. Guy Gardener

The credits scrolled past as fast as usual in the beginning, so I mistook Jennifer Spence for Jesse Spencer... But golly I enjoy Jennifer when she's given something to work with.

She's sited for 8 episodes of Continuum.

It took a season for the Stargate Universe producers to notice that she was awesome.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know. There's nothing particularly bad about it, but it's not something I would call a favourite either. It is somewhat by the numbers and predictable. Like everything these days it has some sort of 9/11 allegory serving as the catalyst (which I assume that terrorist attack at the beginning was supposed to be). Yeah, I get it, 9/11 was a big thing, a defining moment of the 21st century. But after a decade of every TV show trying to do its take on it, I think it's time to move on.

The twist at the ending regarding William B Davis was unexpected. In fact, when I first saw him smiling at the beginning, I was thinking "well of course he's a shady bastard, how obvious can you get?" But the actual revelation, though the number one cliche for a time travel story, actually came out of left field and caught me off guard

I like how the commercials made Tony Amendola look like he'd be a central character, but then after the opening five minutes he's gone. Yeah, I know this sort of thing happens all the time, but still.

Of course you can tell it's filmed in Vancouver with all those recognizable actors. Seriously, I think I've seen about 90% of the actors in this episode at some point in the Stargate or BSG franchises. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

The police look like complete dumbasses falling for Kira's(sp?) trick of pretending to be that detective she saw on TV. Yeah, you can kind of explain it as things being so busy, but did no one watch the news that morning? Is there no poilce database where you cna enter the name and badge number into and get a picture of the actual detective?

We get that typical moment in a time travel story when the future traveller has trouble blending in the past, but I don't buy it here. I really don't believe that if Rachel Nichols walked down the streets of modern day Vancouver in a skin-tight jumpsuit, grown women would laugh mockingly at her as she walked by. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, an an average episode, but I'll probably stick around for the time being.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

One of the characters mentioned two theories of time travel... 1) Their presence has or can alter the future, and 2) Kiera and the convicts were meant to be in our time and they bring about the future we saw. I thought that was a throwaway line, but it looks like it's important to the story.

7. The Wormhole

Since William B Davis seems to remember everything that happened, that pretty much implies that all the bad guys will be defeated. Though I guess there's always Time Can Be Re-written and not to mention we don't know just how much damage they'll cause before they are defeated.

8. Guy Gardener

It also means that he allowed a terrorist attack in the recent present.

Now the guy they caught said that "they can't go back" which might just mean that they don't have the tech for a return trip, but if the future is in flux, or even certain that because of what they are doing in the past, then that means that the activation of the time machine might have destroyed the universe and that there is no time past the point that they left, until some bugger breaks the loop.

Although, I think we saw a few people in a panic after the fugitive vanished, so scrub that unless it takes a few minutes for the universe to completely collapse like it does in Stargate.

Davis' complicity was only slightly less bloody obvious than Kira's husband.

He was trying to rescue his wife well before the escape started.

Which means that he has the tech on hand, if the universe still exists, to follow her back in time... Allthough is he going back 6 years or 60?

he wouldn't be such an idiot to go back in time which is a self incriinating act, which would have his wife consider summerly execution, and leave the kid behind? Husbands come and go, it takes months to replace a child.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Another time travel premise???

RAMA

10. Guy Gardener

Not really.

It's just more of the same.

Hard times on Planet earth meets Timecop meets Tracker.

So yeah, Fe-Time Trax.

but it's not like these shows all happened at the same time unlike the 7 Law and Orders vs CSI currently jousting without pity for my attention.

11. Admiral_Young

@The Wormhole...they did show scenes of Kiera's character being gawked at, by several people, including that guy that walked by her before she altered her pants. Plus depending on what street it was at night time, no one would really care lol.

The episode wasn't without flaws, all of them were pretty much pointed out above...I still found it enjoyable for the most part though.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wonder if her tech is going to run out of juice. Of course, if it does, the kid will probably do something about it.

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. There are only ten episodes to season one I believe so it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I would imagine that her tech would slowly start to be zapped of energy eventually.

14. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe the suit is powered by her own movements, like those watches that have no batteries.

15. Guy Gardener

i was going to say that too.

the actual computer wouldn't take up too much juice.

but the entire suit is a display/monitor.

i refuse to believe that sucker is nuclear or that she needs to find a bolt of lightning.

but if it's a question of a compatible power source or the correct interface/adapter, she's going to have to go to that farm eventually to meat up with junior and see if he's cooked up the hardware she needs...

In the first dalek story in the 60s, the daleks were powered by static electricity pumped through the metal streets/surfaces of their city, and all they need to do to break a dalek was push it on it's side and it was disconnected.

Her suit might also be supposed to be maintained by the infrastructure of the city... Although the guy that invented the suit, knew that she was going to travel back in time decades before that suit was issued to her.

Notice how her gun didn't work immediately?

Was that about power or permissions?

I could see a smart gun having to verify with base before/between every shot fired that the user isn't some punk. If she wants to use that gun again she's going to have to hack it.

What sort of tech do the prisoners have inside them?

I could see them being stripped of tech or having it locked, I could also see them in a little bit of pain for running away form jail that wil increase exponentially until they hand themselves in just like kira did to that skeeve in the am-track. Or would that be redundant since they were about to be executed?

16. The Wormhole

I know, I just thought it was odd that those ladies were laughing mokingly at her. I guess it was meant to convey that she wasn't wearing the current fashion, and so the fashion-minded cool girls were going to be rude about it, but I really doubt anyone would really mock her for that outfit. Especially considering some outfits I've seen people wear during the day that get no raised eyebrows at all.

I don't know, it's weird but that really got to me.

17. pork3

pork3 Commander

Nichols is one fine broad, but I'm not sure she's leading actress material.

Nice seeing some Stargate/First Wave/Andromeda alumni in the mix, but there was some shady acting in a few of the scenes.

Regardless, not a bad premise and certainly an imaginative representation of what our future might turn out to be. Not sure how long this show will be around though.

-Jamman

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting to see on what side of the "philosophy" this show comes down on and if it doesn't try for easy solutions.

My guess is that Alexander is trying to "undo" the evil he has done and restore freedom to the world somehow.

19. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Damn it...I wanted them to stay in the future! Those first 10 minutes were far more interesting than all of Caprica. Why come back to boring 2012, and get stuck with the dude from Mutant X? :lol:
    I did enjoy the first episode though, in spite of the temporal shift. This doesn't necessarily need to be a 'catch a con a week' setup, so a 10 episode order with 9 perps left shouldn't have anyone asking what'll she do in a second season. Plus, do we really know what happened to Bra'tac? ;) Did Joshua and Andromeda say he was dead, see a body? I was wondering if he perhaps wound up in a later/earlier time period than the rest. I guess William B Davis will forever illicit second looks whenever he shows up, so the ending was indeed a surprise. And from the looks of it, his creepy step dad's cabal will play a role in how the future develops.

20. Guy Gardener

it's not going to be freak of the week, because these baddies operate as a unit.

So she's either going to have some adventures that have nothing to do with the terrorists or she's pairing off the weak or the stragglers, or some more where the baddies get clean away...

But honestly.

A couple of them seem like militant survivalists, but I'm assuming that at least half of these villians are student radicals that ..

Why has Lexa Doig never believed in herself to get and carry a starring role?