"The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Jul 10, 2012.

?

How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?

1. Excellent

147 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Good

61 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Fair

26 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Poor

12 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Terrible

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm jealous. We don't even have a movie theater. The nearest theater is about an hour away in another town.

They told us that a theater was coming soon when we moved here. That was eleven years ago . . . .

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Considering that it's still playing on 3,157 screens, chances are the movies still at most places it was on opening weekend -- but it's no doubt left some smaller areas, since it's dropped from a high of 4,404 screens.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLyoog562x4&list=UUHCph-_jLba_9atyCZJPLQQ[/yt]

:lol:

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love that we can explain everything away "because he's Batman." :p

5. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I rated it as good. Without the excellent ending it had, I probably would have thought of it as in-between fair and good.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, I just rewatched Batman Begins, and dude it is the exact same plot as the third movie.

The League of Shadows comes to destroy Gotham. Bruce ends up in a hellish prison connected to Ra'sh. They break out the prison and release the inmates. They engender fear in the citizenry. They use a near-sci-fi weapon of mass destruction. The leader's secret identity is revealed in a shocking twist at the end. Bats goes off to sacrifice himself to save the city, revealing to a supporting character his secret identity through a shared line of old dialogue.

Also.... is the little boy that Rachel saves from Scarecrow supposed to be Robin? 'Cause in his one scene with Bats he says you're real? The other kids don't believe me.

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Considering that this is what that little boy looks like eight years later, I'm gonna say no:
    [​IMG]

Blake is supposed to be much older than that kid would be.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Let's say that boy is supposed to be 10... how long is Dark Knight after BB? I know they're rebuilding the Manor still but c'mon that would take years to do.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's probably around a year, as suggested by The Joker who says the Mob was a bit more bold before Batman showed up.

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I lean toward TDK taking place about a year after BB, but there is evidence for both a long and short gap between BB and TDK:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=6804299&postcount=895

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

That's not a valid reason for thinking the characters aren't supposed to be the same.

Counter-argument: Edward Furlong, Nick Stahl, Christian Bale.
    Shoot, how about: Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig.

Counter-counter-argument: There's no evidence to suggest the kid is supposed to be Blake, either.

12. Locutus of Bored

I would think if that kid was Blake he would have mentioned that Batman had saved his life and that he overheard Rachel calling Batman "Bruce" on the rooftop in the Narrows in Begins and that that was how he put two and two together about Batman's identity.

When I was tossing out theories about how Blake made his wild ass guess earlier in the thread, I postulated that that kid was later orphaned and he was living in the same boy's home as Blake, and that he shared his story about meeting Batman years earlier and overhearing his name. Blake then later made the connection between Bruce and Batman. It's more plausible than "I saw your anger about your parent's death and boom, I knew you were Batman."

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Blake is a detective. He had a hunch, that's all. He confronted Wayne with that hunch and waited for his reaction. That's standard detective work in 100 years of film history. Horatio Caine does it on a daily basis. No evidence, but just confront the suspect with it, and then it turns out to be true.

14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That blonde kid was not meant to be Robin or Blake. They probably had no intentions or plans for a third film when BB was made.

I don't see what it adds to Blake to think he was that kid. Regardless of what the police thought of Batman a lot of kids would have seen him as a hero. Some may have been crushed and disillusioned to be told he was a murderer. But Blake continued to believe in him.

15. Locutus of Bored

The cop show trope where they pull five different people into the interrogation room and accuse them of committing the crime with little or no evidence to gauge their reaction is not a hunch, it's throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks, and it's a path to harassment lawsuits if it was so commonplace in real life. I get why the shows do it, though (for dramatic purposes, misdirection, and often to introduce the real killer early-on without definitively pointing the finger at them, so the killer is not introduced only at the last minute, which is a bit of a cop-out).

Usually what they call a hunch is an educated guess honed by the available evidence, training, and experience. Blake had little of that at the time (he was a rookie and a detective for all of a day), and if we believe what he said, he guessed Batman's identity as a teen before he had any of those things solely based off his tingling orphan-sense. Even hunches are usually based on something a little more substantial than "I saw the thousand-yard stare in your eyes and suddenly I knew you were Batman."

Now, if he was extremely intuitive and empathic (not in the Deanna Troi sense), understood that Batman would probably have to be someone wealthy with lots of free time and motivated by a past trauma, AND he was given a little hint in the right direction by a younger kid in the boy's home (the blond-haired kid from Begins, for instance) saying he overheard that Batman's name was Bruce, then suddenly putting together those pieces becomes a lot more believable.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Apart from the fact that he explained why he knew Bruce was Batman and didn't mention that incident, which one would have expected him to, had he been that boy. Plus the fact that he looks nothing like that kid.

17. Locutus of Bored

Read my post over again. Or the one three posts above it, for that matter.

18. Captaindemotion

^I have. And I'm still not convinced.

Don't get me wrong, it would have been a nice bit of continuity had they connected the characters. But I didn't for one second ever think that they were meant to be one and the same.

19. Locutus of Bored

No, obviously you either haven't read my posts or are just glossing over them to see what you want to see.

I'm not saying that Blake is the blond-haired kid from Begins at all. I'm not even saying the blond-haired kid appeared in TDKR. I'm saying --as an out of left field Timo-like theory-- that perhaps Blake met that much younger blond-haired kid when he lived in the boy's home, perhaps that kid relayed his story about meeting Batman and about Batman's name being Bruce while they were all sharing Batman stories, and perhaps Blake later put two and two together along with his own insights into Bruce's personality.

20. Captaindemotion

^Okay. Understood. Still doesn't work for me. It's just too complicated and small-world-ish. Satisfied?