X-Files, A trope I'm getting tired of..

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dale Sams, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recently started rewatching these again and...I'm getting a little weary of our heroes having about the same authority as..oh...a Chicago newspaper reporter.

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure what you mean. Unless it's a federal crime, the FBI is usually invited to assist with cases. It's not like they can barge in and take over an investigation. I don't ever even really remember thinking that they didn't have any authority.

Unless you're talking about the conspiracy angle... then that was the whole point.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The most enjoyable aspect of the show to me is the producers' and writers' thorough and rather defiant ignorance about the geography of DC and the surrounding states. :lol:

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I think the OP is complaining about it being the same monster-of-the-week format as Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Which Chris Carter always acknowledged as an inspiration

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I'm not really familiar with Kolchak...but there's a really healthy mix of alien episodes and monster ones.

6. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well...I just got done watching "Jersey Devil". Mulder (with Scully mostly along for the ride) investigates a murder on his own voiliton. And yes, he has no authority, he's not even there to take over. Hard-headed local cops, that's fine. But throwing an FBI agent in jail for three days on trumped up drunk and disorderly charges? C'mon.

It's understandable when Kolchak is the bottom of the authority food chain. (Hence my comment about them 'having as much authority as a Chicago newspaperman'.) but you're FBI SPECIAL AGENTS. Throw a little weight around. No you can't take over without authority. But, you are not Barney Fife either.

Disclaimer:I distinctly remember this happening a lot in the series. But hopefully I'm conflating this happening with 'mythology episodes', where it's perfectly natural for them to be tossed around.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

If an FBI agent was told to leave and didn't they have every right to throw them in jail. I don't see the issue.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, generally the FBI doesn't investigate without jurisdiction. Hell, generally no police officer does. So being an FBI agent doesn't change things - especially for those who have no reason to normally deal with the FBI and might not take kindly to interference.

9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Clearly the conspiracy reorganized things to give them better cover. ;) :D

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Not on a trumped up charge.