STID: The ‘Other' Starship / [Spoiler]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by calamity_si, Apr 16, 2013.

1. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome! Now somebody photoshop on a third nacelle please! ;)

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like Starfleet got big black heavily armed starship of death envy at some point.

3. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Source
    Length of Enterprise
    Length of Dreadnought
    Miles

Star Trek: The Art of the Film
    2379.75 feet (725.35 meters)
    4758.5 feet (1450.3958 meters)

ILM Size Chart (01/14/2008)
    2500 feet (760 meters)
    5000 feet (1524 meters)

ILM Size Chart (09/10/2007)
    3900 feet (1200 meters)
    7800 feet (2377.14 meters)

According to production sources, the Narada was approximately five miles in length.

Even at its smallest, this new ship is nearly the length of the space station Deep Space 9 (1452 meters), and falls a little short of the Argus Array (2400 meters).

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's nice to see Starfleet actually responding to threats and developing contingencies based on each encounter.

The Kelvin incident already resulted in bigger, better ships. The Dreadnought may well have been in the works alongside the Enterprise and not completed by the time of the Narada attack on Earth in 2258, hell it could even have been the object of the Laurentian wargames, the fleet putting her through her paces.

Either way this thing looks every bit the counter weapon you'd expect after not one but two direct attacks on the Federation by such an overwhelming alien weapon.

5. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my mind, the Enterprise is 300m long. The new ship is no bigger than the Excelsior. That is all.

On another note, one could probably gauge the size of the dreadnought by measuring the size of the deflector dish compared to the height of Alcatraz. But if the above estimate is accurate, then it would basically fill the bay between Alcatraz and the mainland.

6. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I was thinking "obvious response to the Naruda" as well.

But man, this think has got to be similar in size to the Galaxy class...or maybe even bigger. (Wonder how it compares to the E-E...?)

Makes me wonder what kinda ships this universe/timeline will have by their *24th* century!?

But I am still boycotting the movie untill they add a third nacelle!

7. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

USS Federation NCC kick ass Dreadnought class Admiral Marcus flagship IMO also I'm assuming its a dreadnought class pity it's not got a 3rd nacelle like the one in franz TOS tech manual..... Also what if its carrying the Genesis device !!!

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's pretty clear the Enterprise in this universe is above the 500 meter mark, the Galaxy Class is 641 meters long, the Sovereign 685. So the Dreadnought here is pushing a kilometer long or more.

9. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

That thing's practically the size of a Star Destroyer (1600 meters)!!! :wtf:

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's twice the size of Enterprise. If that's five miles, it's five miles. Certainly a lot of the decks shown in the last movie wouldn't fit in the TOS ship.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The Abramsprise is 725 meters and that is coming from ILM ... that is a kind of BS given that it was designed to be something over 3000 ft long according to John Eaves. Either way, that ship is at least 2.5 times the size of Enterprise true.

12. throwback

According to Encounter the Enterprise, the height of the Enterprise is 625.5 feet (190.5 meters). If we double the height of this Dreadnought, it would be 381 meters high, or the same height as the Empire State Building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_State_Building

13. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new Enterprise model kit from Revell is listed as 1:500 scale. Assuming it's about 24" in size, that makes the "actual" length about 1000 ft. Not sure how "canon" that is, but it's much more in-line with the original size.

I think at some point or another, ILM has to come clean and admit they screwed up.

When you put it that way, it sounds pretty ridiculous, doesn't it.

14. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Clearly it turns yellow (powered down after the crash?) cos Harrison jumps from the ship and shoots that guy in the trailer.

15. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Shouldn't we just be calling this ship Reliant?

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

This was production's screwup, not ILM's -- and believe me I am no apologist for that company. When I was doing an article about the Abrams09, ILM -- for the first time in nearly 20 years of dealing with them -- completely flaked on getting me on the phone with the VFX supes, and when I called their main PR guy on his doublespeak and disingenuous dismissals concerning what Kerner Optical did on the show, and questioned him on the endless procrastination that led to the article going stillborn, I was told to never contact their PR dept again. (I still write articles that include ILM interview participation, but only arranged via studios employing them, never direct to PR.)

Back on topic: Look at the size of the hangar (or better still, find old threads with pics that discuss this in overwhelming detail.) That weird jungle gym of metal the shuttles fly into is ridiculously huge, and nowhere near in scale to what we see in TOS or TFF or even, briefly, in TMP. The Revell number sounds like wishful thinking, because 1000 ft is what the thing OUGHT to be.

17. throwback

(http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/star_trek)

ILM recognized the challenge of fitting those shuttles into the starship. However, when reading the article at Memory Alpha about the Enterprise, it is clear to me that ILM couldn't settle on a final number.

I think what is evident to me is that the new Enterprise is a significantly larger ship than her prime universe counterpart.

18. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

No for those few who still cant accept the new official giant sized E.
    The final number has been established and is called out in the 2009 blu-ray
    The memory alpha article calls on that nut wad running star ship ex astris who blew a gasket at the new giant sized enterprise and went off on some weird tangents To why it had to be the same size as the original (defying all logic with the new much larger sets including the brewery engineering which is nearly 200 meters long alone and the new hangar which is 3 times the size of the old, not to mention the new much larger portholes and triple decker bridge cap which also has hallways and additional rooms on either side of the much larger bridge )

The original new canon size was to be 1100 meters which actually fits all the sets best and most logically (ask our own king Daniel)
    The final and official canon size is 730ish meters

I don't know why people get so upset over this and go into the realm of the non sensical to try to disprove the official size. It is in fact- Paramount - bad robot - ILM official 730 meters, get over it , it's bigger than the Next Gennie ships
    And Dreadnaughtprise is bigger than an Imperial Star Destroyer which I think is cool, FU Star Wars

19. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

has anyone mentioned that old Paul Weller interview in which he says he "has his own ship"

this must be his ship, not Harrison's, at least to begin with.

20. throwback

I would like to talk about the speed of this ship. According to the web site TrekMovie, this new ship is said to have three times the speed of the Enterprise. Now, before the first movie premiered, I learned from the official film dossier that the Enterprise had a maximum warp speed of 8.

So, if the Enterprise has a maximum warp speed of 8, and the Dreadnought can go three times faster, than what is the warp speed of this ship? Does this mean this ship can go to warp 24? Or am I doing the math wrong?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013