Escape from New York remake

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amasov, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://thefilmstage.com/2010/06/23/...om-new-york-will-timothy-olyphant-play-snake/

Been hearing a lot of rumblings on this for the past few years. Not sure how I feel about it, honestly. I'm pretty open-minded, so it might be interesting to see what they do with an more-updated version of the story that reflects today's world, but I'm scared it's just all going to go over so badly.

The 1981 original is a classic and one of my all-time favorite films.

Depending on how it looks, I'll probably go see it anyway, but as far as I'm concerned, there's only ONE Snake Plisken.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I thought that Escape From L.A. was a re-make of Escape From New York. ;)

It certainly seemed more like a re-make than a sequel. Pliskin himself even commented that the plan "sounded familiar". :lol:

3. Amasov

I'm not familiar with that movie. ;)

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Escape From New York remake? But they already made Escape From Cleveland starring LeBron James! :lol:

5. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, this is completely unnecessary. I'll skip it. There's only one Snake, and however they want to dress up the remake, I guarantee it won't have any of the heart or cheese of the original.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

My friends and I watched NY and LA back-to-back once, and LA follows NY so closely in plotting that we were in hysterics. For example, there's a moment in NY where Snake finds a chair and sits down to collect his thoughts. He does exactly the same thing at approximately the same time in LA.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Ya, well Cleveland was heavily mentioned in the LA movie almost like it could be the third film (prequal) if the film series continued.

As for a remake, it would be hard for me to see anyone else but Kurt Russell play Snake but he is too old...or is he..Cough/ Indy4 lol

8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can I have access to your time machine too please? :)

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Timothy Olyphant as Snake Plissken?!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COSeM2EVkDc[/yt]

10. Bishop76

Olyphant is great in Justified, but I don't see him as Plisken at all.

11. Amasov

It's one of those situations where if done right, it could be very cool -- but that can apply to anything. Again, while I admit the idea of a more updated version sounds very cool to me, I just don't think it'll capture the spirit of the original now matter how good it might turn out being.

I totally bought New York being a prison in the first movie. The grittiness, the darkness, the danger of the city at night, all of it. It's all captured so perfectly. The city was really frozen in time. It's a great movie and will always be marked as one of my favorites.

I just question what approach will be given to the newer version. The 1980s version of a post-apocalyptic world seems like it's so much different than what we'd see today. I'd still want the 80s version of that, I think.

12. Aragorn

Shia LaBeouf as his son Raptor Plissken? :lol:

13. Bishop76

You shut your filthy mouth before someone hears you and thinks that's a good idea

14. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kurt Russell was looking good in Death Proof, that wasn't so long ago. I reckon he has a few years of being able to do action movies in him yet.

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're a goddamn genius, you know that? :lol:

16. ColeMercury

ColeMercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No movie is "necessary". Neither remakes, nor sequels, nor original stories.

They're entertainment. And I'm not going to completely dismiss this movie out of hand at this early stage for no good reason.

17. Bishop76

Wow, thanks. Now I know...

I'm still dismissing it out of hand. Watch me dismiss.

18. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

to remake this movie would be blasphamy . escape from new york is a great work of art . one of john carpenters best movies .

19. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They've already remade Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, and The Fog. So I'm long past the point where I'm horrified by the concept of them remaking a Carpenter film. (Of course I hated those three remakes!)

Anyway, my real point is Carpenter himself was not above remakes: The Thing and Village of the Damned. The Thing was amazing and one of his best films. So let's all acknowledge that there's a .0001% chance that this new Escape from New York is going to be one of those great remakes and focus on that! Ha, ha. But I mean it is possible.

20. Aragorn

Who's going to star in Escape from Halloween Precinct?