Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 8, 2013.

1. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You’re right, and that’s why I think Carolina shouldn’t be an older vessel but rather one from Enterprise’s own generation. It should look noticeably like her in most ways. But I don’t think that means the same size saucer, nacelles, secondary hull, etc. And I don’t think general looks necessarily equate to equal function, though there is where interpretation comes into play. Somebody designing for a TV show would probably disagree on that point.

My point is, Enterprise goes beyond the frontier, comes back to base, goes beyond the frontier, comes back to Vulcan, goes beyond the frontier, etc. It has speed, endurance, range, and defensive capabilities. When it is back at Capella, it is in contested space where military vessels are policing space lanes for ships like Diedre. THAT’S what I take Carolina to be. Enterprise can do that job, and does, but not as its primary task. It is more capable than that. When she is out in unexplored space meeting Balok, there is no Carolina - or anything like her - anywhere around.

Falconer and comsol like this.
  2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

And, even though the dedication plaque spells "starship" as one word, I have never been able to find a scene/shot in the series wherein the lettering on the plaque is actually legible to the viewer.

Kor

Neopeius and GNDN18 like this.
  3. aridas sofia

I think that image I posted was pulled from an episode but I’m not sure.

4. aridas sofia

My problem is finding an image host that I can count on. The whole Photobucket thing really bummed me out. Along with the hosting of the FRS site being sold to tapatalk and them destroying the look and format of the place, it taught me that if I were going to do this, I really need to have some control over how it is presented. And I just haven’t figured that out yet. I can only devote a certain amount of time to it, and most of that needs to be the creative stuff.

But it really shows you how a picture is worth a thousand words. I have drawn Carolina and could just show you- but my internet is down. And while I’ll use Imgur for something like this, I ain’t gonna put that whole “”50 for 50” project up there.

publiusr and StarCruiser like this.
  5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone with a bluray or HD copy of "The Galileo Seven" might be able to pull a screenshot right before Kirk obscures the plaque at the beginning of the episode that could be clear enough to read. The embossing on the plaque makes it very difficult to read even if you have a clear shot of it in other episodes. I am also curious if there is a legible screenshot of it too.

Kor and BK613 like this.
  6. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure the legibility is relevant: See Constitution Class. :lol:

Of course it did make it into TMOST

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  7. aridas sofia

When I wrote the FRS back in the 80s, I said Starfleet vessels were divided into three overarching “classes”, the most capable of which were “Class One Starships of the Line”. That was my way of saying there can be a ship that is a named class but also Starship Class. “Starship Class” was shorthand, much as “United Star Ship” could be shorthand for United Federation of Planets / Star Fleet / Ship.

publiusr, StarCruiser and comsol like this.
  8. BK613

These are close:
    https://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x04hd/andthechildrenshallleadhd0574.jpg
    https://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x13hd/elaanoftroyiushd1192.jpg
    https://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x13hd/elaanoftroyiushd1233.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    GNDN18 and blssdwlf like this.
  9. blssdwlf

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Gotcha. I was well aware of the info in the tech manual. I was just wondering if there was an actual stated reference to the Constitution NCC-1700 in that particular episode.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  11. BK613

They are on the borderline for me between being readable letters and recognizable word shapes. I can't say for certain that, if I didn't know beforehand what the plaque said, that I could make out "starship".

Kor and blssdwlf like this.
  12. Racer_X

Racer_X Commander Red Shirt

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only reference to a USS Constitution NCC-1700 I know of is Star Trek III background consoles, one of which is maaaaaaaybe legible in a close up when McCoy breaks into Spock's quarters.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  14. blssdwlf

BK613 and Richard S. Ta like this.
  15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

What I appreciate the most is having Defiant as TAS Enterprise’s lines. I cannot thank you enough for that additional hanger bay room.

comsol, Henoch and aridas sofia like this.
  16. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Here it is with contrast and sharpness enhanced.

[​IMG]