Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 8, 2013.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

The posting rules for the board, pinned at the top of this forum, tell you exactly what you should do: start a new thread with a link to this one for background.

I can see you put a lot of thought into your reply, and I hate to squash that, so I'll give you this one for free. Please don't do it again.

Thanks

2. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I appreciate that, not for me but for the benefit of anyone who would get anything out of this. That, after all, is why rules are made to sometimes be broken. I really saw no way to do it other than possibly linking to the old thread, and what difference would that have made.

I will consider this a gift for my 20th year as a member.

StarCruiser and BK613 like this.
  3. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@aridas sofia You position on the USS Carolina from Friday's Child?

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Also, where in “The Trouble with Tribbles” was the Constitution and her 1700 registry established?

5. aridas sofia

Not the 1700 number. At least, not directly. That comes from inference and the fact the technical manuals Scotty is reviewing are shown to be for the Constitution class and Enterprise is 1701. That was the logical inference Greg Jein and Franz Joseph made, and which has stuck.

https://imgur.com/CWbutON

6. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was going to ask whether "Constitution" was visible in an HD screencap in "The Trouble With Tribbles" but upon checking my DVD the camera angle to the monitor obscures most of the name. Too bad there wasn't a straight on shot of it. Does this graphic show up in any other episodes?

BK613 likes this.
  7. aridas sofia

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Man, this was such a cool thread.

9. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was interesting to revisit some of James Dixon's insanity. :lol:

10. aridas sofia

He was certainly a PITA but to the extent fanon ever meant anything, he was your man. He somehow knew more details about the stuff I did than I did.

11. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Hmmm...just a sideline random wondering...
    Since the FRS is basically dead in the water - what about posting here?

New thread for the 50 for 50?

publiusr and aridas sofia like this.
  12. aridas sofia

I’ve drawn it. A smaller ship based on the idea of the “upside down Enterprise”. That is the fan tradition iirc. Smaller saucer and secondary hull. For those who know my stuff, I think I had it as a Pytheas-class… patrol ship.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  13. BK613

Fair enough. But not the tradition for every fan. In every other instance on TOS, USS meant Starship; this fan has always thought of the Carolina as one.

14. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

I like to think that the Carolina is a starship, but not the same class as the 5YM Enterprise (and not one the twelve). Same with several of the Star Ship identities on Stone's chart, i.e. the non-1700 ships. I put Stone's list of ships for only those currently, either being repaired at or maybe assigned to, Starbase 11 depending on your interpretation of "% Complete" on the chart. Since Starbase 11 has five of the twelve 1700-class ships, it must be a major Starbase possibly on the frontier, more associated with deep space exploration. Based on my observance of how Starfleet uses the Enterprise, and by reference its other 1700-Class ships by giving them the brunt of the most dangerous missions and assignments, the high number of them being repaired at Starbase doesn't surprise me. By the time of Friday's Child, the Enterprise is traveling between Starbase 10 and 12, so, there'd be a different list of ships for those Starbases in which one is the USS Carolina and maybe its a 1600- or other Class Star Ship.

Richard S. Ta, blssdwlf and BK613 like this.
  15. BK613

^^Have no issue with it being an older Starship.

16. aridas sofia

“Upside down Enterprise” so, yes, a starship. NCC-1402

This gets into a whole separate question than this thread covered, of just what the dedication plaque meant when it said “STAR SHIP CLASS”. Piecing together production materials, we know now that they wanted Enterprise to be a very special ship - only twelve like her. That may be what STAR SHIP means. Not an interstellar ship, or a fully capable military ship, but a ship that can go beyond the frontier. Carolina could be a very dangerous and capable ship but not be meant to go “where no man has gone before”. It’s a starship- not a STAR SHIP.

This is what I mean by fan tradition. The idea that this thing looks like this goes back as far as I can remember. At least some fanzine from the 70s. It derived from a Matt Jefferies sketch that was, iirc, in TMoST, and was the basis for the Pytheas-class that I published in about 1985. I think fan conjecture was that it was, as it says here, Ranger- class. But I never liked the idea of Carolina as a noticeably older ship, thus I came up with Pytheas- named for an ancient Greek who literally DID go where no Greek had gone before (so go figure).

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Carolina_(NCC-1000)

BK613 likes this.
  17. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Just so. The record is quite clear:
    [​IMG]
    Except that the plaque spells “starship” as one word.
    [​IMG]
    Nevertheless, I think your point stands.

18. aridas sofia

CorporalCaptain, GNDN18 and BK613 like this.
  19. BK613

Except the USS Carolina is out there in the same sector as the Enterprise...but hey, it's definitely open to interpretation.

20. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

I thought there was a general order stating that Enterprise was always to be the only ship in the quadrant/sector/within range.

ATimson, danellis and BK613 like this.