New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by neoworx, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

My copy hit my doorstep today. I've been flipping through it. I want to read it, but the binding seems kind of fragile -- I don't want to have it fall apart on me. Wish there was a Kindle version...

What I've see so far looks really interesting. I'm going to read it with the Season One soundtracks released last December. Hehe!

I went to Amazon and discovered they also have copies now (well, copies "Fulfilled by Amazon", which makes the shipping free for Amazon Prime members) so I'll be ordering Volumes Two and Three from Amazon when the time comes.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Amazon deal made it affordable for me. Ordered. I had requested a review copy, but I guess Jacobs Brown Press decided my blog didn't pass muster. No matter. I may do a chapter by chapter review of this, I may not. Have to read the thing first!

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm just annoyed that the author seems to have seen fit to lift at least some of them from startrekhistory.com with neither permission nor attribution.

4. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

I don't see the Prime version...all I get is the 'third party seller' link :(

5. EnsignHarper

Never mind - found it! Ordering!!! Thursday!!

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought it in LV. Awaiting the book to appear.

7. Praetor Baldric

Praetor Baldric Lieutenant Commander

So there is one book for each season? Does anyone know if they are going to release them one at a time, or as a box set? Will the books also be available in Blu-Ray? With or without enhancements? Will they later be re-released with extras not found in the original publications and then re-re-released this time with a foreword from some guy who was an extra on the show that nobody ever cared about but who kept a bar napkin that Nimoy once blew his nose with that will be skillfully reproduced and inserted only in the first 1000 copies? In other words, do we really need more behind the scenes books? Just asking.

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I don't think we've ever gotten anything this in depth and based almost completely on production documents and materials. In other words, no smoke blowing, tearing down, building up or otherwise bullshitting.

So yes.

9. Praetor Baldric

Praetor Baldric Lieutenant Commander

In that case, I'll buy it!

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Reading random favorite episode entries now. Lots of great anecdotes and info. The Roddenberry bio may be a little TOO detailed :lol: I had to take a break from it to read some episode entries.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The more I read about this the more I want it. :drool:

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I've decided against purchasing these because I will not support someone who uses other people's hard work without permission or recompense in a commercial product, then has the gall to cite that work as a selling point.

13. EnsignHarper

Got mine this afternoon - I ordered it YESTERDAY, with my free TWO day shipping on my back step 24 hours later! Fortunately, there is one of the biggest Amazon warehouses within the UPS one day Ground for me:techman:

14. EnsignHarper

Having said that, this is freaking AMAZING! The bellwether of Trek books! And this is only Season One!

After almost 50 years of Trek books, it is amazing that there is something new to learn on almost every page! And as said above, all based on the RECORDS. I have not read the COTEOF section yet - I am saving it ;)

Definitely worth every penny!

Now can't wait for Season Two!!

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

You make a very good point, one that I have a feeling would not have been made (or even considered) if this site were called theforce.net (so there really IS a good reason I keep being driven back to this site after all!)

I think I'm going to grudgingly concede that even though I might be able to write off buying at least one of these as a business expense, I'm still not going to order any of them, at least until I see some sense of fair play/ethics emerge. Having your work plagiarized and/or distorted is really a bummer, yet most folks just seem to put all unauthorized uses of anything under the heading of 'so what?'

This is going to have to go into my 'John Landis' category ... I remain willing to buy ANIMAL HOUSE on DVD if it is a USED copy (for under $2), but I will not spend a cent on anything where some of the dollars might actually go to somebody who I think should be rotting in prison.

That may seem an extreme example, but I think I'll be fine waiting for a used copy ... since I treat my books like crap anyway, I won't have any problem settling for one that is in barely sellable condition, and based on a post or two above, it sounds like this pressing might be a 'fall-apart-while-reading' type.

For those interested in a very nicely illustrated book on the history of low-budget effects, may I suggest BBC VFX, which I finally got my mitts on today and wholeheartedly endorse, without any ethical quandary arising.

16. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Almost all the photographs bear the caption "Courtesy of Gurian". Was Gurian the one who scanned those photos?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

In many cases, the photos attributed to him were pilfered from other sources, including Star Trek History, without getting permission (or, it seems, acknowledging their work restoring the photos in the first place).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  18. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

^^^A shame. A crying fucking shame! I'm torn rather to buy a copy, and feel that I'm supporting theft, or to forego it.

Sir Rhosis

EDIT: Fuck 'em. No bucks from me. I'll go to a couple more Reds games.

19. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I think Gurian’s contention (in going through his Facebook page) is that the original film trims were cut up and sold by Lincoln Enterprises to lots of people. StarTrekHistory just got one frame of the film trim, and he has, like, the very next frame. So of course they’ll look the same! (I don’t think there are actually any clips in this book that weren't simply harvested from StarTrekHistory or from the "birdofthegalaxy" Flickr page without permission or even attribution.)

It’s too bad, too: the clips that StarTrekHistory possesses actually exist in far higher definition than are made available on-line. If anyone had thought to go right to the horse’s mouth instead of through Gurian, the pictures could have been obtained and reproduced in greater resolution.

The pictures at StarTrekHistory employ a floating and moving watermark. By capturing multiple screen grabs at different points during the floating cycle, it was possible to stitch the images together in Frankensteinian fashion to create a single image without the offending watermark.

What a shame. There ought to be a law.

Someone should scan the entire book and post it online.

20. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

My enthusiasm for this book has been severely dampened by the fact the author poached photos online. What does the publisher say about this? ultimately that would be their responsibility for clearances and liability, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.