The Dark Reign Begins... SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, Dec 15, 2008.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Let's see:

Dark, facisit dystopia vis a vis metahumans? Check
    Anti-hero versions of classic 616 characters? Check
    Metahuman Gestapo? Check

Nah...no similarities whatsoever...:rolleyes:

Matter of opinion

They took the singlemost example of Marvel moral integrity and heroic virtue and turned him into a gun weilding thug (just like Ulti Cap).

Except it has always been portrayed as a hateful tool of the anti-meta bigots, and rightly so.

Try mentioning anything that happened pre-2000 or so and see how far you get.

edGY, KeWL, and releVUNt...gotcha:techman:

Tell that to the fanbase that saved the book FIVE times. It was the last vestige of the Marvel comics we knew and loved for 50 years. Now it's gone too, DESPITE our best efforts, it seems.

Joey "the Butcher" Q has for many years stated he disliked the book and did everything he could to kill it.

Never mind that DeFalco is a far superior writer and would make a 1 MILLION % better EIC than Joey could ever DREAM of being.

No, the "coffee shop comics" crowd has been crying out for them. Look at Marvel's sales in the 90s vs today and tell me with a straight face that "Marvel is crying out for Bendis, et al"

Then you're one of the relatively few people who apparently IS the market for this sort of thing...

Well, at least we agree on SOMETHING... :D

2. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Add in Jemas before him and you pretty much got it! :D

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

That's totally wrong. New Cap is nothing like Ultimate Cap (who certainly is a thug, though I don't think he has a gun); he's depicted as thoughtful and determined to play by Steve's rules and moral code.
    Spider-Girl was a strong cult book for a long time (Marvel's longest-running female solo title by a wide margin, I believe), but it's sales were generally very bad (though very consistent, which is a virtue in sales). It's not surprising that it eventually ended, given it usually sells under 20K; there's no currently running Marvel book (outside the "Marvel Adventures" line, which isn't targeted in the single-issue market) that sells like that.

4. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Oh, right. Forgot about them. They suck too.

She took advantage of a mentally weak and fucked up married man to piss off his wife. What a hero. She's so cool and tragic and interesting.:rolleyes: Glad to see that my belief that you have to check your brain and your moral standards at the door to be a NuMarvel fan is validated yet again.

"I never miss!"

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I personally have liked the direction that the Marvel Universe in general has been going towards over the last four or five years. With a few minor things that have bothered me, like Osborn having getting Gwen Stacey pregnant, Joe Q fucking up Spider-Man's (I must admit that I haven't really been following Brand New Day but I plan to pick up the first couple of trades when they reach my library) marriage, Tony Stark's rise and fall, the Skrull infiltration and invasion, the Civil War, and rise of Norman Osborn to Lex Luthor levels have been really interesting to me. Secret Invasion has been way better and held my interest way more than Final Crisis...and also on the Ultimate Universe, it seems they are getting ready to shake it up again after Ultimatium is over. I had no idea Ultimate X-Men was ending with #100...I knew they were planning to can a couple of books and introducing new ones.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wolverine is currently featured in: Astonishing X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, New Avengers, Wolverine, Wolverine: Origins, Wolverine: First Class, and starting in April he's getting a FOURTH ongoing monthly: Wolverine: Weapon X. Oh and there is the currently running Wolverine: Manifest Destiny miniseries.

So eight titles. Plus any random guest appearances. He wasn't even that overexposed in the height of the 90's speculator boom.

Plus every X-Men movie has actually been a Wolverine movie guest starring the X-Men.

7. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the old Captain America just fine. But the best thing to happen to that series was Steve Rogers death and the emergence of Bucky as the new Cap. It turned that comic into one of the best around. Bucky as Captain America is definitely not a gun-wielding thug.

Brand New Day was idiotic. If Joe Q really wanted to end the Peter/MJ marriage, he should have had the guts to just do it instead of wiping out twenty years of stories with that ridiculous Memphisto storyline and Peter sacrificing his marriage to save his two-hundred-year-old aunt.

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Well, it was already the best comic around at that point, I think (though at the moment I'd rate Incredible Herc as being better, since CA has been in a bit of a lull).

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, then I guess you can just call me "nobody", as the MC2 books have been by far my favorite in recent years.

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I have to agree with this. It's getting tough to choose between nuBSG, nuMarvel and Miller's All-Star Batman as being emblematic of how the 80s D&G fad has reached its nadir.

Hey! ;)

11. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

He and Professor X were also the co-stars of the last two months of X-Men Legacy (previously titled X-Men). (Though, technically, Wolverine Origins is a very long miniseries. It has a programmed end, somewhere around Sandman numbers.)

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that it would've been cool if this anti-Illuminati had existed for as long as the Stark group has with Namor playing for both sides.