List of continuity "callbacks"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Grant, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally it sounds like some sort of flight maneuver to me. Makes me think it's some sort of warp-speed related version of aerobraking.

2. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Turnabout Intruder also had Kirk/Lester using past events to try to convince Spock he/she is really the captain.

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Good reminder, here it is:

JANICE: Spock, when I was caught in the interspace of the Tholian Sector, you risked your life and the Enterprise to get me back. Help me get back now. When the Vians of Minara demanded that we let Bones die, we didn't permit it.
    SPOCK: That is true. The captain did not. However, those events have been recorded. They could have become known to you.

Bob

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

In TOS - "The Cloud Minders", Droxine asks Spock if it's true Vulcans only mate once every seven years; a clear callback to the episode "Amok Time" (even though you have to wonder how the info got to her as Spock said at the time it was something "No outworlder may know..." :)

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

We see the galactic barrier again in "Is There In Truth No Beauty?".

6. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The mind meld and the mating cycle both started out as highly personal, private things that Spock was reluctant to reveal, and both ended up a little too matter-of-fact.

The moment I like least is in "Elaan of Troyius," when Kirk gets on the intercom in Engineering and basically snaps his fingers for Spock to come down and mind-meld with a thug bodyguard. Talk about unwanted intimacy. [But otherwise I like that episode.]

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

McCoy overshared on Facebook.

8. Robert Comsol

But Kryton made it pretty clear that even under torture he wouldn't say a thing and Kirk needed to know what he had done (sabotage was expected) in the engine room.

By that time Spock had already engaged in 4 (?) mind melds during TOS, usually when the safety of ship or crew was at stake. I rather felt that Kirk was somewhat clumsy, making it clear to Kryton that he had "exotic" means to get the information out of him, and Kryton reacted swiftly.

Bob

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In WNMHGB we hear of a "little blond lab tech," and in TWOK we meet Carol Marcus.

As callback go a bit of a stretch, but many fans assume they're the same person.

:)

10. BillJ

It works. But I could've sworn Harve Bennett said that wasn't the intent some years back.

11. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

No that's not the galactic barrier. It's some tear in space caused by the Enterprise going too fast. Problem was in 1968 they simply reused the same FX footage from the galactic barrier. In the re-master they make sure to change it to a new effect to clearly show it was different.

I had already mentioned the two callbacks from "Turnabout Intruder" in my opening post.

12. BillJ

I don't think I've ever watched the remastered version of the episode. I'll have to check it out. :techman:

13. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Yes, it probably was accidental, but the pieces do fit together, especially Kirk's "I almost married her!" line.

14. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Easy. Galileo II is a callback to... Ok you've got it. It was even just plain old Galileo after it was destroyed, both a callback and a miracle.

15. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

They made another fix to that episode.....

The dialogue clearly states that they are going to meet a Medusan ship. But they didn't have time to build one so at the end they simply had them arrive at a stock planet.

For the remastered they had them rendezvous with a Medusan ship created just for the episode.

16. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

The remaster doesn't really settle this. There's a similar "barrier" effect (same color and shape) as in WNMHGB, but there's a non similar effect as well. Also, Spock references that after crossing warp 9.5, things went haywire, causing the navigation problems for returning, but also that the Enterprise will have to "go through the barrier" to return. The Galactic barrier is not mentioned, only that they are "Far outside the galaxy" which both could and could not depending on your perspective imply the ship goes through the galactic barrier.

17. Robert Comsol

We recently had this issue in another thread and a new poster suggested that the barrier in WNMHGB and "By Any Other Name" itself was an "exotic" result of the warp drive being used in that part of space (i.e. it would not have manifested with impulse engines but take you forever to cross that area of space).

So what we saw in "Is There..." might have been a similar manifestation, caused by warp drive.

Bob

18. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The Way to Eden" gives Dr. Sevrin's home world as the fictional planet of "Tiburon" (possibly named after the region of the San Francisco bay area?) Just a few episodes later in "The Savage Curtain", Tiburon is again referred to as being the home planet of Zora, one of the four baddies recreated by the Excalbians.

19. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The blonde lab technician could also have been Dr. Janet Wallace in "The Deadly Years." Or even Dr. Janice Lester, if she was blonde at the time. Lester would fit with Kirk's outrage ("I almost married her!").

But in my personal continuity it's Carol Marcus.

20. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    He actually says, "Zora, who experimented with the body chemistry of subject tribes on Tiburon."

He doesn't say that she was from there.