Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Excellent excerpt. But I thought we'd heard the Aventine was a smaller ship - but she's got six hundred crew?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know where you heard it was a smaller ship, but six hundred is smaller than a Galaxy or Sovereign's complement, at least.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does explain one thing about Ezri:

She was a Lieutenant Commander before her battlefield promotion. I do wonder, though, why she couldn't have been given command of the Aventine but with the actual rank of Commander. I wasn't aware Starfleet was in the habit of promoting people two steps in rank at once, except for Voyager personnel. :p

4. Christopher

I would assume it's because a capital ship with a crew of 600 is too big to be commanded by someone below the rank of captain.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

So why give it to Ezri? Why not give her a smaller vessel, such as a Defiant class? She has experience serving on them, after all.

6. Christopher

Because the Aventine needed a captain and she was already its senior surviving officer. Remember, this is during an ongoing Borg invasion. Starfleet doesn't have a lot of time or personnel to spare. She automatically became the ship's commander when the two people above her in the chain of command were killed; all Starfleet did was make that official. They don't have the luxury to leave the ship inactive while waiting for a new commander, or to shuffle around officers who are immediately needed on the front lines.

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Although this is only speculation on my behalf, but I'm assuming that Aventine and her class are larger than a Luna class (Titans crew is 450 according to the competition rules in the back of Taking Wing) and could very well be almost be as large as say a Soverign class as I could be very wrong about this, but has the crew compliment of the E-E ever been revealed? Now I know the E-D was in the region of about a thousand crew members and the E-E was longer than the D, but, the E had a much smaller mass than the D, thus reducing the crew compliment accordingly.

Also from the except, although not safe to say, but it would be assumed that Aventine is a pretty powerful ship. Mr Mack, have you carried out any sketches of what she and her class look like, or will us readers have to construct our own design in our heads?

I was also glad to read that Ezri had a battle field commision, this would explain for those around her confussed at why she managed the rank of Captain in a relatively short period of time from being an LJG on the show. But then again, these seem like very desperate times for the UFP and as she was already on the command track and Vaughns XO on the mission gamma expedition, it's not a massive leap over a four/five year period.

Another thing I've given a lot of thought too, and this is again, just speculation on my behalf, but given you are essentially mr death in the Trek Lit world and because a few people have speculated that you were going to go after Earth. Well I personally think Earth is TOO small a target, to really have the wide ranging implications that have been hinted at, I really wouldn't be surprised to find out that you wipe out the entire solar system as the long term effects of that for the UFP (we all know what is housed on Earth and it's star system in Trek so I won't list all the things which the UFP will lose) would be very interesting to read about in the post Destiny literature :evil:

8. Mr. Laser Beam

I hope they don't destroy Earth. That would be just too cold-blooded. :( There are certain things you just don't do, and this would be about six of them.

I think I will wait till I find out whether or not this happens, before I buy the books.

9. Christopher

But it obstructs our view of Venus! And where else are we going to put that hyperspace bypass?

10. Brefugee

I am reminded of Dukat and Weyoun in Favour the Bold where Dukat said that Earth is the key to the UFP, all resistance will originate there and if it fell, the population wiped out, the UFP would be easier to handle. Now, if Earth and it's star system is wiped out, it would lead to atleast two outcomes.

1) Essentially it would be like Paris in the second world war and how the Sclethan plan was meant to work in the build up to WWI and that was if Paris fell, France would crumble, so taking that and twisting it into a Trek context, the UFP would be screwed, there would be a vacum and with out Earth the UFP could very well splinter and be far more easier to destroy.

2) It would rally the other worlds and Starfleet into winning this war with the Borg at any cost, maybe even using techniques which may seem against the very moral core of the Federation, but they will be fighting for their very survival, and maybe the desctruction on the UFPs home system and seat of power would be that catalyst.

And yes it may be cold hearted too want the destruction of Earth, but as Ka Dargo said in Farscapes Constellation of Doubt, humans need to realise that maybe, one day, they will lose. It would also one hell of a curve ball as KRAD would probably put it.

11. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Earth is not destroyed; however, one of our heroes does suffer a nasty bruise on the upper right arm. To preserve a sense of suspence, we will not reveal whose arm receives the bruise.

12. Brefugee

Bugger and I was so sure as well :devil:

13. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Seven hundred-fifty, actually.

That's part of it.

Christopher's answer to this is spot-on. (He has read the trilogy, remember.) At the time of Ezri's battlefield promotion, Starfleet and the Federation are in a serious crisis mode. There is a shortage of experienced, qualified command officers. And there is little time to shuffle personnel across vast interstellar distances to fill open posts. Aventine was en route to the Gamma Quadrant when she needed to fill top-level jobs, and she wanted some people she was already comfortable with on her senior staff, so she recruited her DS9 comrades before taking the ship through the Bajoran wormhole.

Correct.

Correct again. In the A Time to... books, the number was estimated at somewhere in the 840+ range.

Oh, yeah.

Nope, no sketches or designs, and I shied away from describing her too specifically, in case the editorial team wanted to commission artwork at some point. All I've said about the look of the Aventine is that it is sleek.

You think the Borg came all this way to not attack Earth? It's definitely on the targets list.... :evil:

I have no words, only: :rolleyes:

LOL!

14. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Great, first my property on Pluto's worthless, now I got to worry about the future vacation home on Europa.

15. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Both links do not show the covers. Do here are the links for all three covers....

Gods of Night
    Mere Mortals
    Lost Souls

16. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Would I be best to wait till all three Destiny books are available or should I read them as they come out?

17. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

One would assume that's a personal preference thing. I'm betting the people involved with the project would say it doesn't matter. Initial/release sales are usually kinda important to the entertainment industry so Pocket as a company probably wants you to purchase them immediately upon their arrival.

But ultimatelly your enjoyment of the books would depend on your own personal experiences. Do you tend to enjoy trilogies/duologies/etc better if you read them back to back? If so I'd say do it that way.

18. Brefugee

Okay, this is very very shiney :bolian:

It's been a while since I've read the A Time to... and I must admit, I was going on memory alone when it comes to the differing sizes of the two most recent Enterprises.

That sounds like a logical idea, I'm guessing shes more of a battle ship really than an exploration vessel, do you reveal where she was constructed and when she was launched?

Not in the slightest, personally I would feel a tad let down if the Borg didn't do something to Earth. But have you addressed Earths defences or lack there of as they've always seemed a bit, well rubbish!

I have no words, only: :rolleyes:
    [/quote]

You could destroy every single planet in the Alpha Quadrant for all I care and I'd still buy the series, it would make no sense what so ever for the Borg to launch this massive assualt on the Federation and not have Earth and even the entire Sol System marked for extermination.

19. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Certainly would be. Mack the Knife destroys Earth, or if you take a close look at the cover for A Singular Destiny at least bombs the crap out of it. Certainly would set up some interesting storytelling possibilities in the future. Think of all the characters that call Earth home. Boothby, Ben Sisko's father and sister, the O'Briens (at least as far as I know). Heck, even a few of mine (current and future) live there. Imagine how jarring it'd be to know that some make it out alive and some don't. Families and friends snuffed out like that. Grab your hankies, folks, you'll probably need them sometime next year.

20. Christopher

Up to you, but volumes 2 and 3 do have pretty thorough recaps in the beginning to refresh the reader's memory (sort of the text equivalent of "Previously on..." montages).

Careful of those guesses... ;)