Anyone else hate the aliens?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Majikstranger, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Majikstranger

Majikstranger Cadet Newbie

Something really really annoyed me at the Epic Fail of an attempt made at creating aliens. Add something to the forehead or something to the nose and voila an alien. Every time i saw one of these abominations i kept asking myself, "What f-ing purpose does that stupid flap on his nose serve". One alien in DS9 had his nose connected to his chin. For some reason that really pissed me off. Darwin was cursing in his grave and God lol'ed. They weren't even aliens they were mutants. They could have just made 3 or 4 aliens and designed them very well, but no lets make hundreds of humanoid retards. Maybe that was the point, given star treks pro human agenda and ego. maybe they did want humans to be the only functional beings in the galaxy

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope, I had no problem with any of it.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Boy, would that have gotten old fast.

In a perfect world, VOY could have had enough cash to do cool CG aliens like Kaminoans and Yodas and the like, but I'd frankly have rather they spent the dough on better writers and more recurring crew member guest stars.

4. ramonasno

ramonasno Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hahhaha LOL.

Calm down, i am almost crying of laughter here because of the part of the guy with the nose on the chin wahhaahhahahaa.

Well, I actually understand what you're talking about. Sometimes it was just weird, and such as with Bajorans, I've always wondered what the point was with the ridges on the nose? Evolutionary I mean.
    But I guess the show wanted to portray a future where in all these different races could live next to eachother peacefully, and if you'd only have 3 races that wouldn't really help would it?
    ANd obviously the money to design new aliens and do the make up was not everlasting, so they had to make choices. Et voila, a nose on a chin !

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

+1

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I wish they had the opportunity to push the envelope sometimes with new alien designs, but in the end it was a minor issue.

7. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Budgets are a bitch.

8. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, I didn't have a problem at all.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

My only wishes are that they didn't make the Kazon look so much like Klingons, it would have lessened the backlash against them when we first met them.

And that they kept using some races more than others, like the Kazon, Vidiians, etc.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

:confused:

Really, they always reminded me of Sly Stone.
    I kept waiting for them to break out and start singing "Everyday People".

However, I'm not sure what the OP is talking about.
    The Kazon, Vidiians, Malon, Hierchey, Hirogen, Talaxians & even Borg were all full face or nearly full facial latex make up. Nearly every main adversary but the Krenuim were.

11. ramonasno

^hahahhahaha

But to be honest, I always thought they were weird Klingons too

12. Majikstranger

Majikstranger Cadet Newbie

you all really do have a good suspension of disbelief reflex. I believe its what CoffeMod said "Budgets are a bitch".

13. exodus

Klingons remind me of Samurai.
    Their hair, honor system & armor
    Kazon are like black gangsters.
    Nappy afros or dreadlocks, tribal colors & fur.

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Klingon culture seems to be based on Beowulf, if anything. Their appearance, like their language grew by having little bits added here and there as the shows came and went.

IIRC the Kazon were the first alien species that the Trek writers attempted to segregate along different cultural or tribal lines in a realistic manner.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I would've made them look like the Wasteland Pirate guys from "The Road Warrior", some bald, some with mohawks, some normal looking.

And no forehead stuff either, maybe like a race of humanoid Gameras or something.

16. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I'm not saying I liked the way they were styled, just that at least there was a nod to tribal differences. To be honest I don't care for aliens at all; I much prefer the BSG or Firefly galaxy.

17. exodus

The problem with the Kazon wasn't the look but the attitude.
    They had to be the most PC,non-violent bunch of gang bangers I've ever seen.
    For al their obsessing of trying to get Voyager & it's technology, they never once ever attempted to try and kill Janeway outright for it. They never tried killing anybody.

18. ramonasno

Hmm but I always think that most Klingons are black :guffaw:

And Kazon are like, from Pakistan or something?

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Kazon were supposed to be based off Hispanic street gangs who were just as often fighting one another as they were fighting everyone else.

The writers just didn't bother thinking up a real gang hierarchy or relations between the gangs. It might have worked out better if each faction LOOKED different from the other (even in coloring and clothing) and if they were competent rulers of each of their territories. And if there were some actual value/social differences between the tribes.

So, good idea but it required more effort put into it which was squashed thanks to UPN and Jeri Taylor not wanting continuing aliens or stories.

20. exodus

I just shows how blind the writers are of the cultures and races that surround them every day.