Which actor is most bitter?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by OmahaStar, Dec 31, 2012.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Which actor do you think seems the most bitter about their association with Doctor Who?

There's Eccleston, who we've all discussed repeatedly.

Then there's Lala Ward. I'm thinking she may be. She can't even be in the same room with Tom Baker. In DVD commentaries, she is derisive and hateful towards Matt Waterhouse, and when she isn't hating people, she seems bored.

Most of the other former stars seem to have enjoyed their time. But is there someone who hates it more than them?

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never thought of Lalla Ward as embittered about Doctor Who. Oh, true, she and Tom Baker won't be in the same room, and she's no fan of Matthew Waterhouse, but she's been quite active with Big Finish and you could argue that her association with Doctor Who (specifically, knowing Douglas Adams) led her to meet her current husband. Heck, she even recorded dialogue for Ian Levine's animated "Shada."

For a long time, I'd have said that Janet Fielding was the most embittered Doctor Who actor.

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well her and Tom Baker in the same room situation is pretty common when there's been a divorce.

Don't think Matthew Waterhouse was particularly well liked on set. Supposedly you can see Sarah Sutton and Janet Fielding trying not to burst out laughing when at the end of Earthshock but made that's from Waterhouse having to work with a big hang over).

It was mentioned in another thread about friction between T. Baker and Jon Pertwee but that was more personal than towards the role. (Louise Jameson had a few clashes with Baker until finally blowing up at him while doing Fang Rock)

Janet Fielding had been bitter towards the show for years claiming it was sexist though I guess she has mellowed a bit because they got her back for some of the Big Finish stories.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Mmh, I always thought that Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee had more of a good-natured rivalry going on. And there's Tom's account of him kinda trolling Pertwee by embellishing the amount of money he had been offered for some voice overs he had turned down (or something like that - I don't quite remember the details). What kind of friction are you referring to, Marc?

5. Marc

I don't know the details (was hoping some-one would fill in the gaps). It was mentioned in one of the other threads in this forum but wasn't expanded upon.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

From some of the stuff I've read it doesn't sound like that period would've been fun for a woman back then. Sounds like pawing and groping weren't uncommon along with the sexist comments and attitudes.

7. Marc

Never heard of any of those details but why is that Fielding is the only one who's spoken (to my knowledge anyway but that doesn't mean much).

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've heard comments like that from Louise Jameson as well at the very least.

9. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fielding had more general issues with how the female characters were written and the lack of interest in the companions and their characterisation - Sutton & Waterhouse back her up though less outspokenly on some of the commentaries. The groping etc does seem to be pretty much true - there's a story from Talons that when the stuntman (Stuart Fell?) dressed up in Leela's Victorian costume from the back it was hard to tell who was who and he was shocked by how many crewmen felt him up thinking he was Louise.

I don't think any of them are actually bitter - not being completely effusive about the show doesn't mean you're bitter it just means they are pretty normal - they aren't fans of the show after all why should they love it as much as we do.

10. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The hangover is a separate story - it was Castrovalva when Waterhouse did the last days outside filming with a terrible hangover.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I remember, Pertwee was reportedly rude to Baker when Baker was on set to film the regeneration scene in Planet of the Spiders. I don't really remember anything further.

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

You need to check out the Lust In Space video where several of the Doctor's female companions accuse the show of being sexist.

13. Marc

Have heard of it but haven't seen and haven't found it on YouTube yet.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

In the wake of the Savile revelations several female BBC radio presenters have talked about such things as well. Seems it was perceived as just 'one of those things'. So much for the golden era eh?

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully the sexism and other nonsense was a BBC thing in that era and not exclusive to DW.

I do remember there being a good bit of friction between Jamison and Baker. Though I suppose they've buried the hatchet since then as they're currently doing Big Finish stories together.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I think it was endemic within te BBC not just Who, and probably at ITV andin many other areas of society as well.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I doubt it was even exclusive to the UK, we've all heard of Gene Roddenberry's exploits, and I seriously doubt he was acting in a vaccuum, rather then within a system that accomodated sexist behavior.

18. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

The old Casting Couch is also still around in Hollywood.

Non UK members probably don't know about Jimmy Savile, he was a major BBC star who was a regular Top of the Pops presenter and host of Jim'll Fix It, a show were childrens dreams came true. Lets just say after his death lots of unpleasant details came out.

19. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I can't even watch A Fix With Sontarans now. After seeing Strax again, I wanted more mashers, so I put that in, and it is just ... creepy. I never noticed it before, but now, the way Jim acts around that little boy is creepy. And he was only on for a few seconds.

20. Marc

Louise mentioned some of the problems with Baker on the commentary for Fang Rock.

She blew up at him aft he keep flubbing an entrance and stood her ground against him and things went much better after that.