Refit modifications to JJ Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by macfesto, May 17, 2013.

1. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Did anyone notice the new Phaser banks? No more ball turrets. Will that mean Phaser Beams instead of Pulse Phaser in the next movie?
    By the way... that's the first Star Trek film since The Voyage Home in which the Enterprise did not fire a single shot!

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well, we know the ship can fire a broadside now--like Tiger's Claw from Wing Commander.

3. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

The turrets look the same to me... I really liked the pulse phaser effect, even though it's not exactly like the WoK phasers.

I wonder if the new Impulse deck as because the Enterprise was somehow feeling under-powered? What other changes did they do to the Enterprise?

I also have the notion that the broadside torps are also a new refit from when we last saw the grey lady in Trek 11. Enterprise still feels like a prototype that is continually undergoing changes and refits as a trial model for the entire class. Vengeance was newer yes, but for all we know the chassis might have been commandeered or she was already in production as a Dreadnought counterpart to the Ent's Heavy Cruiser.

4. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

It's a year later isn't it?

After the Vengeance incident I guess Starfleet could at least look at the technology involved in the ship and consider what was worth salvaging from that class and retro-fit their existing fleet to meet the improvements.

The Enterprise was just lucky she got tore up BEFORE her 5 year mission, otherwise she might have been sent off and be obsolete before she got 2 months in :p

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see Khan's claim of credit for designing the Dreadnaught-class as a whole as holding up, not with ship production timeframes being as they still are, even in the 2250's. And him only being awake for a year before the events of the movie kick off.

He might've solved some design issues with the Vengeance in particular, though.

6. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  7. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I think we need to be careful with that last shot as it could be just into the E's jump into warp, it looks like its starting to 'warp stretch' to me but I will have to watch the film another couple of times to be sure... Im sure when the DVD comes out Trek Core will get alot of views of the screen grabs from the last seconds of the film!

Looking forward to seeing another Adventure with the Enterprise, hopefully in only 3 years time, I too preferred the TMP style impulse engine but a larger engine may mean more power I guess.

8. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

For the TOS Enterprise, there were design changes to the impulse power deck as well.

It started out as three rows of small dots, before becoming the familiar two squares. (Does that make sense?) Anyway, that was with the show before the remastering.

The new impulse power deck for the Enterprise looks, to me, similar to that on the Kelvin.

9. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I suppose they just didn't want to be subtle with showing that the ship was upgraded when repaired. Small changes would have been really difficult to spot in the final scene. So it makes sense from a production point.

I actually would have liked the new impulse change if it wasn't soooo wide. Maybe have as much would have looked better to me. Oh well.

I did notice the PHASER turrets too. It looked like they retract on the finally scene and I can't really recall if they did that on the ship before being shot up...But looking at the screen caps on page one, they are present at the space dock scene, but absent on the repaired hull scene.

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    We've covered that already: there are some cosmetic changes to them. But the shape isn't different, it's just warp stretching you're seeing.

So far we have:
    - Impulse engines
    - The flat structure just above the impulse engines seems different
    - bridge module a bit taller ?
    - nacelle fins split up in 4 parts rather than 3.
    - nacelle 'inlets' at the front are different and lit up
    - Phaser emitters may be different

Anything else ? I'm still hoping the deflector dish is changed, just for the hell of it.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  11. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

jjprise is now uglier

12. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

The Enterprise is their most advanced vessel for the multi role of exploration, diplomacy and defence.

The Vengeance is just a brief change of direction in Starfleet millitary in case there was a full scale war against the Klingons. In regards to exploration and diplomatic missions, this would be the worst type of ship to deploy.

13. Belz...

I notice a pattern, here.

Perhaps somewhat more positive posts would be preferable ?

14. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well hey, honest expression is better ultimately. At least it gets out of the person expressing it.

Personally I've always been of two minds about the redesign. I like it, but then eh... but then ...Eh... You know? I feel guilty for liking it sometimes.

Some of the changes from the original to the JJ version suffer from the same thing that turned me off of the TNG era ships. The sense of free flowing shapes that don't really feel like they hold up to any kind of engineering conceits. I know, I know. None of the Star Trek ships are particularly realistic. Just something about the ol' girl and the TMP refit that 'feel' more real to me. As Scotty said, it's like the first time you fall in love, and I fell in love with the TMP refit first. The ol' girl stole my heart at a very young age.

That being said, though, I gotta say... yeah, that impulse engine doesn't do it for me, at all. The rest looks just fine. I do wish we had gotten a little better look from an elevation stand point, just to see her pristine in totality.

What they shoulda done is paint it gold. Johnny 5 style. Now that would have... caused mushroom cloud rage in fans.

15. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Virtually any vessel in the JJ verse looks better and more tactile than what I had to witness in Nemesis/Ins/FC

16. Belz...

Sure. It's just that the negativity can't be great for that poster.

Not me. It's my favourite Trek design, right alongside the TMP one.

Right, so why mention it ? The Enterprise-E, although a nice design, makes little sense in that regard, and fits oddly in the design lineage. This is almost a tradition with Trek. They always go with cool design, and add practical details later.

Yes. I'm not sure I like the changes, but we'll see in time. We really did only get a glimpse.

:rommie:

17. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

While I don't think the JJprise is ugly persay...I do agree with this.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I've seen comments concerning changes to the nacelles themselves, but starbuck is talking about the pylons. I don't know that there's been any change to those at all, and the difference between the two images seems to come down to a closer perspective and use of a different lens effect in the second pic.

One thing, though, for starbuck:

Please don't hotlink your pictures from TrekMovie (Anthony really hates that) or from any other website which does not belong to you. It's poor form and it's not in line with board policy.

Easiest solution is to register for a free image-sharing account and host there any pics you wish to post.

19. Belz...

I don't think there's any change to the pylons, but I don't know yet.

20. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw a model kit online, it looks like the nacelles are more like the ones on the Enterprise refit from TMP, they are swept back.

-Chris