DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That'd right. I'd forgotten what it was. Of course the last time something significant was broadcast involving Clark and Diana it was Diana's slaying of Max Lord by Brother Eye. I was kind of reminded by that in the panel.

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Me, too, but we actually really don't know that Wonder Woman killed Max Lord in the new continuity. Lord has shown up in OMAC, but with all the JLI stuff gone and Blue Beetle's origin radically revised (thus no Ted Kord let alone Kord dying) we have no idea what the status of that event is. We have confirmation in the JLI annual that Batman built Brother Eye, though.

3. Admiral_Young

I'm pretty sure DC has stated "Identity Crisis" and "Final Crisis" no longer exist. Unless they've changed their minds. It's hard to keep up.

Okay. I just finished reading Justice League #12...I have to admit...this was quite good indeed. Probably the best written issue that I've read from Johns, and the relationship made sense with the unfolding story arc. I may have to re-pick up the book again.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, Green Lantern Annual leaves the fate of Hal and Sinestrro somewhat ambiguous. They're both clearly out of commision for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up to save the day at the end of the Third Army story, though. Speaking of which: hoo boy. The Guardiands truly have lost it, haven't they? I'm looking forward to how this plays out.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's pretty clear since the reboot that the Guardians will not be around for much longer.

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Ah the poor Guardians. Noone has a clue what to do with the little bald, blue men these days. I was hoping they would never come back after Millenium, but they did. Even then they left us with the horrible New Guardians which hopefully have now never existed.

7. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, there's no way this is not the end for the Guardians, unless we're going back to 90s status quo with no Green Lantern Corps. Highly unlikely, though. Frankly, their reckoning has been a long time coming, like since Rebirth practically.

8. Admiral_Young

Or we're starting to progress towards the Legion future :)

9. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seriously, did New 52 do ANYTHING right? GLC was basically the one line that sorta kinda lead things for a while in the "old" DCU... I don't want to wish harm on anyone, but I really really wish both Lee and DiDio and would like get their hands caught in a printing press and lose their voices so we no longer have to deal with them and their craptacular 90s revival bullshit. I mean it's like literally it's the frickin' 90s again. For a while it seemed like DC wanted to go back to the Silver Age, now they want to go back to the 90s. I may not have tons of respect for Liefeld but he left while the gettin' was good. It's a shame, they already lost some "Talent", first Perez, then Morrison, now Liefeld, and losing George Perez is really a pathetic blow, since the man was long known for hanging on the Avengers for a looong time, and on Wonder Woman and other DC series - including that early 2000s JLA/Avengers crossover. So it's clear the guy loves both 'verses, but the fact that they lost him because of their own bullshit is pretty sad.

I'm all for streamlining the Universe, I'm all for refreshing things, I'm all for making it easier to go from paper to Digital Distro, but... they basically did a Brand New Day to the DCU and weren't even nice about it. Just 'this is how it is. Don't like it, tough shit."

10. Derishton

Didn't GLC Annual just reveal there is another group of Guardians? Big Obvious Reboot Status Quo button: and these Guardians can be like the ones from the 60s, like everything else Johns loves (except Vibe).

11. OdoWanKenobi

Well, we did see another group of people that were of the Guardians' species in today's annual. Just having them replace the current Guardians at the end of this would be lazy as hell. It's really time for the GLC to stand on its own. The Alpha Lanterns are gone, the Guardians will be gone. I'm hoping it eventually becomes some kind of senior Lantern governing council. Probably with people like Guy, Kilowog, Stel just to name a few. It would be a new and interesting dynamic as the Corps suddenly must find itself self-sufficient, and figure out where to go from there.

12. Derishton

I agree that would be more interesting, has been a long time coming, and would help set up the Legion future.

I'm still voting for Big Obvious Reboot Status Quo button.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Re: Green Lantern Annual...

Suuuuuuuure. Hal and Sinestro are dead. Forever. Sure they are. What a shocking twist. C'mon. That said, good story, good start to the crossover, but not as interesting as Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night. Will probably be better than War of the GLs though!

So, is the unseen First Lantern supposed to be the new Middle Eastern character? I would assume not?

14. OdoWanKenobi

One other observation. In the big Third Army story advertisment, unless Fatality suddenly became white, Carol is a Star Sapphire again. Replacing Fatality on the New Guardians? Also, her costume is now a great deal less freaking ridiculous. That's good to see. I'm a straight guy, and love me some T&A, but I really thought the Star Sapphire outfits were just classless.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

But they represent love and lust ;)

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I read Justice League and.. Meh.

I find team books hard to read because it seems like a lot is going on and with so many characters it's hard to give eveyrone good service. It also complicates things in my mind that there's just so much nonsense going on that it seems like Earth is constantly got shit going down. Anyway...

The Superman/Wonder Woman moment was actually sort of nice and made sense overall. But... I dunno. It still feels like fan-service. The relationship does make an ounce or two of sense, but at the same time feels odd.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I also picked up Justice League #12 just for the big hook-up. A couple of pages of Supes and Diana warming up to eachother followed by a kiss at the end. Nothing earth-shattering. Guess I'll have to pick up the next issue to see the ramifications of the big event.

As for non DC titles, I picked up The Adventures of a Comic Con Girl #1 and Irresistible #1.

Comic Con Girl is about a girl who wakes up after a drunken night at a multi-day convention and heads back to the floor to track down a rare issue of a comic that was taken. Lots of geekdom, pop culture references and girls drawn with nice figures, large breasts and revealing scifi outfits. The author Dana Braziel-Solovy based the title character on herself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KdGf7nFhw[/yt]

Irresistible is about a guy who is lonely and depressed after being dumped by his girlfriend. Then one day after leaving a strip club, he runs into an old woman who's being mugged. After he saves her and gets beat up in the process, she asks him what he wants. Confiding in her a little, he casually says he wished that all women would be attracted to him. The next day at a coffee shop, an attractive barrista follows him to the bathroom and throws herself at him. Looks like something magical has happened and his wish was granted. Zenescope, which is known for it's characters being mostly scantily clad women put out this limited series.

[​IMG]

Guy on the cover reminds me of Bradley Cooper.

Both titles are adult oriented with coarse language and some mild sexual content. Comic Con Girl is fun and cartoony while Irresistible is more serious. I prefer Irresistible because of it's serious nature. It's well drawn, well written, and it does a good job of taking you into the lead character's head, whether he's getting a lap dance or sitting alone in his apartment. Can't wait to see how both unfold.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  18. Admiral_Young

Keep in mind that Justice League #12 was the conclusion of Johns first year of stories on the series so Diana and Clark were basically actually secondary to the actual main plot of the books which was the League dealing with Graves. That was one of the things that I liked about the issue.

"Fan-service"? I don't know that many fans who are actually enthralled with this relationship Trekker, so I'm not sure what you meant by that comment. The relationship feels odd, because it's been forced upon us. This is basically DC's version of One More Day. It would have felt more natural had they not gone and "erased" Lois and Clark and this was Clark moving on, as Lois has done. But nope they basically have just tossed this in our faces. Like so much of the New 52. This is from someone who actually liked the issue and thinks this relationship has potential. I wanted to hate the issue to be honest, but I found myself liking it. I just dislike the way DC has introduced this particular plot.

19. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Well I am enthralled. I am tired of Clark and Lois in much the same way I am glad Barry and Iris are not being put together right now. Lets try something new and see what happens.

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm desperately bored of it to be honest, Johns have been playing the same ballpark for a long time now and it is getting too repetitive to me.