Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well before I saw that deleted scene - I just thought she was like "OMG Captain America is sexy... here's my phone number!"

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It only now appears as a plot hole imo. When you first watch the film her looking can be chalked up to "who's that brave masked man--ooh, he's unmasked now, what's he look like?". It also sets up her seeing Captain America as a person, not a mask and then giving positive testimonial to the reporters on site. So what's in the film works fine imo, it would just have worked that much more had the coffee scene remained.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Wow.. what an amazing scene. Really shows a core aspect of modern day Captain America, a man out of his time.

Brilliantly written, shot and acted but i can understand why it didn't make it into the movie. Avengers was a high enegergetic movies, things were always happening and there was no time for background, emotional character pieces.. everything was geared towards getting the story along.

This kind of scene would be perfect for the Captain America movie sequel though which should deal with him coping with the modern world and how out of touch he is.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I would think when Captain America 2 comes out that Steve will be a little more familiar with today's world. Don't you think?

He was using a bluetooth wireless headset with no issues during the New York battle

Sidenote: Re-watching The Avengers I noticed that the team doesn't stray too far from "Grand Central" station.

The production crew just makes one small stretch of highway. The rest is all CGI

-Where Hulk punches the chitauri creature

-Where Hulk puts down Stark.

It's a neat little film making technique.

5. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Weeellll even in the comics he still isn't quite 'all there' in terms of being 'hip' to the 'modern world'. I mean sure he'll use a bluetooth headset and we saw him using a tablet, but he's a super soldier. He's got a photographic memory, he's also got a boost in learning tactics. So really... it wouldn't take him much time to get 'used' to the 21st Century, so he reads his briefings on a tablet instead of a notebook, he makes a call on a cellphone linked to a bluetooth. Similar actions, just new toys. Plus he's not an elderly man who lived through WW2. I think too many writers go "oh I'll base him on my grandpa would treat technology." And while, sure given that he didn't grow up with the stuff we did, it's all pretty alien - but he's still a young man, he still has a sharp mind. He'll figure it out. I'm glad they didn't have him fumbling around a cellphone calling it some "dad busted doohicky" and being completely lost around computers. While he's surely not up to the level of a teenager around a computer, I'm sure he's been able to figure things out. "Oh so if I click this icon I can do a search. Gotcha."

I think the biggest challenge will be the "pop" cultural references and other more recent developments. I mean even someone saying "Let's Rock and Roll!" won't quite have the same feeling for him as "Let's kick some ass!". Or even people referencing like Nixon or Clinton or Bush will be given a "huh... ohhh okay..."

I'd love to see Captain America 2 open up with him maybe researching the past 70 years - him sitting in front of a laptop with Wikipedia up or going through files - could even make a neat opening sequence. Show him seeing V-J day video/pictures, going through to Korea, Elvis Presley and the birth of Rock n Roll, the whole Post War USA, Rolling stones, the Beatles, the hippies, Vietnam War, Nixon/Watergate, Star Trek (since they really can't use Star Wars lol), Video Games, Reagan, Desert Storm, Lewinsky and Clinton, Cole Bombing, 9/11, War on Terror, Reality TV... lol

Then, have him get some call from Nick Fury about "We found something..." and then we could have a scene aboard the helicarrier and setting up the reveal of Bucky... but show the Red Skull returning (or Arnim Zola... or Baron Zemo) and Hydra. But I woudl like to see the "man out of time" angle sort of replaced by more action. Sure have a few minor jokes at his expense, but by this point he's more 'in touch', maybe not entirely there yet, but he's getting there. Or slightly messes up a reference.

Love to see Stan Lee do his cameo as like a comic book writer from the War, that tells Steve that 'hey I used to write your comic book... and also these guys... " pulls out an old comic book with what looks like Winter Soldier. "War department had us dramatize your adventures, and those of other heroes during the war. Lesser known guys. While you were fighting Hydra, these guys were doing this. I wrote 'em until the 50s, damn that Wertham. This was one of the last few I did." and then you see like "The Adventures of The Patriot" against... "the Winter Solider."

Sort of taking a page from that comic series "The Twelve" of 12 "super heroes" from World War 2 that were found in suspended animation in the 21st Century. The other "lesser known" heroes.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They should mention that Stark has one of his comics.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they didn't go the usual route of captain America fumbling phrases

"You can take this job and SHOVEL it"

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I do wonder if he's contractually obligated though.

11. Turtletrekker

He is.

I think if he signed a contract, it shouldn't be an issue of "forcing" him to do it, and more a matter of living up to your obligations.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm sure if Weaving tries to become a problem and demands a huge paycheck like Terrance Howard did in IM2, Marvel will drop him and recast.

It depends on whether Marvel wants Skull to be back in the sequel.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They have definitely proven with Rhodey and Bruce Banner that they aren't afraid to recast people, so I have feeling that if he becomes a problem they will just recast.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And surely the Red Skull isn't the only major Cap villain, right? They could use Baron Zemo or somebody.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Madame Hydra/Viper. Arnim Zola. Baron Zemo. Modok & Aim. Sons of the Serpent. Baron Von Strucker and Hydra.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know a lot of people seem to want to see one or both Barons Zemo, and we did see Zola in the first one so it wouldn't be to hard to bring him back.

17. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Well...it often seems that way, frankly.:lol:

For a movie, I'm sure they wouldn't have that big a deal building somebody else up, but if they haven't been in touch with him at all (which is what it sounds like), it doesn't seem like they were intending on using the Skull in the second movie anyway.
    Strictly speaking, the contract is meaningless if he doesn't want to carry it out, beyond perhaps him owing them some financial penalty (depending on the details). Courts would never give specific performance in this area.

Not like it would come to that, anyway. The nature of the role makes it particularly easy to replace him.

18. Turtletrekker

Will Crossbones be in Cap2?

This is a character with close ties to the Skull in the comics. I wonder if Weaving's words were misdirection?

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Is it sad that I noticed two rather glaring errors on Carter's file? It's annoying because normally I hate nitpicking...but I'm sorry: it's Royal Air Force, not British Air Force and it's interesting how she was in the SAS for four years and yet managed to leave a full year before it was formed...Oh and her phone number looks very odd too. Either S.H.I.E.L.D. needs better proof readers, or that's one flimsy cover story! ;)

20. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is what we like to call shitty proofreading, and bear in mind that someone was paid to type that stuff up in the first place.