The Dark Knight to have a female villain?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Whether or not a lady shows her ta-tas on screen has no relevance to casting for the next Batman film. Pay attention. ;)

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ It has for those of us who sit through the movie wondering what her norks look like. Such as me

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed and glimpse the movie "Havoc" if you wish to see Anne's breasts.

4. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

She's topless in Brokeback Mountain too. One of the few things that impressed me about that movie (a movie I didn't particularly like) was how incredibly hot she looked in her cowgirl outfit, and then what a great job the make-up people did of making her look trashy in the movie's 80s period.

5. Captaindemotion

Ideally in 3-D! :drool:

(And this is my thread, so I'll hijack it as I like!)

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would if the next Batman film were rated R! :)

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

8. Captaindemotion

Or if I were casting it.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stana Katic or Sarah Shahi as Talia! :p

Actually, Katic is voicing Talia in the Arkham City game.

10. Admiral_Young

Jetfire...I stated Eva Green a couple pages ago! I think swould be fantastic . Anne Hathaway is an excellent actress who has proven over the course of her career that she is very versatile. She was one of the few bright spots in this year's "Valentine's Day" (yes I saw that movie). Gary Marshall who directed the movie and of course directed Anne in "The Princess Diaries" and it's sequel once called her the new Julia Roberts. I think she would be an interesting choice for Selena Kyle. I think she has been rumored by fans before as being the new Catwoman.

11. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The other hilarious/sad part is that Bruce's attractiveness is basically an informed attribute, as well. I mean, I guess he might do it for some chicks, and he's physically probably one the hottest dudes on New Earth, but he's also a dreary, monomaniacal dick (most of the time). I mean, at least when Lois Lane and Lana Lang were beating each other half to death on a regular basis over Superman, you at least got the impression he was desirable, would make a good partner, and was generally kind and not yelly, bossy, angry, intrinsically violent, borderline crazy, or likely to wind up dead any day now. Whereas it's almost preposterous that anyone who knows Batman well enough to know his name could believe it could work out, given that he'll tell you right up front that you'll never compete with the ghost of his mom.

No way! I liked the ecoterrorism. I wanted the ecoterrorism. And the Lazarus Pits. Take all that away, might as well have just had Batman fight the Jackal. (That is, Ilich Ramirez Sanchez, not history's worst Spider-man villain, at least before Mephisto came along.)

Not too terribly much anymore, unfortunately. At least in the old days, they could claim innocence and an audience of children. Neither condition is true these days. : /

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure Lex being POTUS at the time kind of takes away any say about it seeing as I believe it would be illegal for him to run Lexcorp at the time (I don't know for sure if it is against the law but he isn't suppost to be running the company while being president, but if someone else knows more about this subject it would help.)

13. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's sort of obvious why they moved away from the ecoterrorism.

Terrorists who despise the decadance of the United States? Led by a guy with an Arabic name. Well, he turns out to be Irish, but maybe that's a call-back to the 1980s, who knows... (good Irish roster of villains in that movie really).

You could say the nihilism of the Joker builds on this. We've had a villain who despises the world's decadence, now we have the anarchic embodiment of it. I'd be surprised if the third film doesn't have villains with similarly dark motives - Al Gore doesn't really seem to cut it (Item: Do we really need to portray environmentalists as the bad guys?)

And if you really want an environmental-themed villain, to me, the average schlub who just sees the movies and stuff, I'd have to ask if Poison Ivy doesn't fit the bill better. I thought environmentalism was her MO.

14. Admiral_Young

^ ^This is exactly the reason why Lex stepped down, conflict of interest reasons along with a whole slew of other reasons that I'm not familiar enough with to type down or even speculate about. He asked Talia to head LexCorp thinking that the daughter of Ra's al Ghul could be trusted, why someone as intelligent as Lex would think that is beyond me, one could argue that he wasn't aware of her personal connection to Batman and by default Superman as well and probably thought she wouldn't have been a threat to him or his business. I think Talia was also running the League's public front companies at the time as well which is why she was brought to his attention in the first place.

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Only if you're carrying around an unlicensed nuclear reactor on your back. :devil:

16. Myasishchev

All right, valid point.

Still wanna know how she happily took a job as the one of Alexander's trusted ruling council within the Secret Society of Supervillains two weeks after Lex presumably would have sworn vengeance on her, in addition to Superman and Batman.

It's a minor continuity problem, I suppose, but it's needling. My guess is Geoff Johns, Dan DiDio, Gail Simone, and everybody else just forgot, or rather didn't make the connection that Alex pretending to be Lex meant that any baggage Lex had, Alex would have to carry around with him. (Although I grant otherwise it makes sense, to go from disgraced ex-president to leader of a supervillain army, just the personal vendetta between Luthor and Ghul that ought to have existed--unless Ghul knew about Alex' identity--just somehow didn't.)

17. Admiral_Young

Ra's isn't your typical environmentalist though since he want's to depopulate most of the human race while he's going about restoring the planet.

18. Myasishchev

No, but it's a fair point, that it's potentially irresponsible to misrepresent a positive and indeed necessary cause such as environmentalism through a ridiculously evil supervillain like Ra's. Even if it's all in good fun and in the original spirit of the creation.

I mean, maybe if the movie was made by Glenn Beck, it would be appropriate.

I'm not exactly swayed by the argument, but it's definite food for thought.

Also, see edit, re: Luthor. You're way more up on this stuff than me, perhaps you have the answer. :)

19. Admiral_Young

I do see the point about Ra's...I just tend to see the characters as characters and not put too much politics into it. I realize that they're there, it's just much more enjoyable to read without that aspect getting in the way of the fun of reading.

Re: the Lex thing, sloppy writing? LOL

20. Captaindemotion

And she was apparently up for the female lead in Raimi's abortive Spider-man 4 - IIRC, he wanted her to play Black Cat but the studio wanted to make her Vulturess.