The Prime Alternative

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

2. Sgt Angel

Sgt Angel Lieutenant Red Shirt

3. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

This looks great! I'm going to have to build a similar one, and print it!

4. MadMan1701A

5. Sgt Angel

...This thing is getting bigger by the minute:wtf: it now measures 36 inches wide and the same long...I must have done something wrong, I thought it was going to be 24" ...not sure where I'm going to display it once I do finally get it done.:eek:

6. Sgt Angel

Hey Ricky,
    Any time you want to make the trip up to Saskatchewan, Canada, I'll make sure you enjoy our great Canadian hospitality :rommie::bolian:

7. MadMan1701A

That's only about 2200 miles from me. :) I'd love to come up that way some time.

-Ricky

8. Sgt Angel

9. MadMan1701A

Looking great. I don't think the changes to the back panels are going to matter much, once all the details are in place.

I thought using staples for the handles was an awesome idea. :-)

-Ricky

10. Sgt Angel

11. MadMan1701A

Very cool. Can you post some other angles of the wings?

Also, don't forget to send me the dimensions of the nacelle domes. :)

-Ricky

12. Sgt Angel

I am only working on one wing right now until I decide on how to do the detailed work. The wings are currently a work in progress. The rough job you see in the picture, will be cut to allow the vent on the bottom section of the wing, with a plexi-glass insert to allow the engine glow to be visible. I am still trying to decide on how to do the top venting and still allow access and room for the wiring and lights.:brickwall:

The inside of the Nacelle dome is going to be made from a clear plastic Christmas ball. The "inside" measurement of the ball is 2.75" so if you allow for perhaps a 1/6 clearance, we should be good. Not sure how you did the digital design, but to make it work so it can rotate, I will need a base with a pin hole in the center to attach it to the electric motors. Since I will be cutting the bulb in half the design will allow for the motor and your piece to stick out the back to be wired and allow for lights. The base of your piece could either be solid, and then I could drill holes to represent the fans...or you could design the base to actually look like fan blades to allow back lighting to shine through. I will leave that up to you. I can hand draw what I am thinking...but it is your design and like I said, I really hate reinventing the wheel if the cave man that designed it in the first place is still kicking :guffaw:

13. Sgt Angel

Here are a few more shots of the wings WIP
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j428/Sgt_Angel1/IMG_0184_zpse7280514.jpg
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j428/Sgt_Angel1/IMG_0181_zps354e85ca.jpg
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j428/Sgt_Angel1/IMG_0185_zps19e1f7f3.jpg
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j428/Sgt_Angel1/IMG_0182_zps529fc30b.jpg
    http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j428/Sgt_Angel1/IMG_0183_zpsf4ee120b.jpg

I shall post a coupe of other shots from some of the other work done in another post.:)

14. MadMan1701A

Cool, looking great.

I think I know exactly what would work for the fan blades... I'll post a pic when I get it put together. :)

-Ricky

15. Sgt Angel

16. Sgt Angel

Sounds great Rick....Also want to thank you for answering my facebook request about how you do your decals, very helpful.
    Terry (aka) Sgt Angel (aka)Teary Tee Bone

17. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  18. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

hey... Check Out Star Trek: Ambush movie and congrats to our own Ricky Wallace!!!!

[ FaceBook post below ]

Star Trek: Ambush movie
    page link >
    https://www.facebook.com/startrekambush

Star Trek: Ambush
    Yesterday at 11:51am ·

Welcome to all the new fans and welcome to 2015 from everyone at Ambush. The Romulan set is so close to completion I can almost taste the Romulan Ale that we'll toast with!

But now I want to introduce you all to a new member of the team, Ricky Wallace Jr of MadMan's Shipyard. Ricky is a very talented CG Artist who already has an impressive portfolio, be sure to check it out. Especially take note of the "Prime Alternative" Project he did back in 2010 which you can see here http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/

Ricky is helping us design our fleet of ships including the USS Ambush itself and will be doing some CG work to compliment our real model work. Check out his page to see the awesome stuff he is up to, which also includes Custom 3D Printing!!!

-Star Trek: Ambush movie

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  19. Sgt Angel

Atta boy Ricky...see your momma was right, all that hard work is paying off��

20. MadMan1701A

No problem. :) Didn't make the connection that that was you, until now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.