Animated nuTrek concept art

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bingo.

Why do people want the audience to be satisfied with substandard animation on the grounds that the characters in it are closely modeled on human anatomy - without looking at all real for a single frame - and then call viewers "lazy" for preferring something more artistic and creative and, you know, better?

2. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Lol, i just like how everyone here is getting so mad at the poor guy... I'm sure they will pick a modern animation style if/when it gets green-lit. Hey, someone start a poll offering 5 different animation styles, and see what wins for what people here want to see. That might be interesting to see.

It won't satisfy everyone, nothing does, but what can ya do!

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the support, 22 Stars.:techman:

Like I said, I'm not entirely against the idea of a cartoon as done in the manner mentioned by the OP (I did mention that I liked the style used in Rise Of The Guardians as seen on Jack Frost when played by Chris Pine; maybe that style could be used to animate Captain Kirk and Spock), I just don't know if a Star Trek cartoon would be taken seriously by many fans if said style were used (especially if the idea is to do a serious cartoon like TAS was.) Maybe it should be done as a cel animated cartoon instead-in fact, I have just the style it could be done in, and the studio that could do it, based on what they've done here with this character in this upcoming DTV DVD:

http://www.sonypictures.com/previews/homevideo/ironmanriseoftechnovore/clips/6023/ (watch it in fullscreen to get the best effect).

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

That's Star Trek. I was talking about Transformers. And unlike Star Trek, Bob and Alex actually won awards for their work in the Transformers movies.

[​IMG]

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

And when discussing artiscitc styles for a new Star Trek animated series, you're not allowed to use the following as examples:

1. Anime
    2. A Canadian CGI cartoon from 20 years ago.
    3. Anything on Disney
    4. A show that was canceled twice after single season runs.
    5. Anime from 15 years ago
    6. Another show that was canceled after one year

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'd kill for a Star Trek anime, particularly one with a artistic style along the lines of Bleach or Ghost In The Shell: S.A.C.

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd kill for Tite Kubo to be the character designer on a Trek anime. The man can't tell a good story to save his life, but holy shit, he can make a wide variety of looks for his characters.

But if a Trek anime is made, Paramount better insist on the studio using the best talent they've got. So many of the anime tie-ins of Western IPs are tossed to lower tier personnel, which means they look kinda shit at times. Also, they better insist on having Americans write the show unless they manage to get the Yamato 2199 staff or something. I don't believe that most anime writers can avoid a lot of the alienating cliches of the genre after being forced to include them to get sales.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Such a project would be under the control of CBS Studios now (overall ownership of Trek changed hands nearly a decade ago), but yeah, your point still stands.
    I wouldn't mind if a few anime tropes were included--perhaps no more than what's been seen on Cartoon Network's Toonami/Adult Swim--but it really should lean more towards a U.S./Western audience in general.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'd rather not have the federation becoming a corrupt group that does really nasty stuff and oppresses the crap out of their citizens and invades small defenseless planets becuase they don't help them in a war said planet wants to stay out of becuase the federation wants to kill everyone on the other side or any of the other really shady stuff Japan seems to think federations engage in.

Oh and I don't want any Augments acting like those whinny b@#ch coordinators from Gundam Seed, and if they do I want Khan to show up and horribly murder the hell out of them.

Also none of that hypocritical pacifism at gun point stuff either.

10. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

I realize that this makes me hopelessly old-fashioned, especially for a sci-fi lover, but I really miss good old hand-drawn cel animation. CGI used to be cool and innovative, and generally well done, but now almost everything is CGI. It's relatively cheaper and faster to produce, but more often than not, it's poorly-done and just looks... lazy. If they made a Trek series using cel animation, I'd be all over that. But if they went with CGI -- and I suspect they would -- it would have to be pretty high quality animation for me to watch it.

That Markowski guy's concept art does make excellent use of colors, though. Some of those nebulae are quite lovely.

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cel animation isn't cheaper or faster than CG unless you've got a Japanese style wage slave system going, farm out the animation to Korea/China, or use something like Flash to animate it. You need tons more people to do the work, plus there's practically no way to reuse art assets aside from stock footage, which means you have to draw everything from scratch for every episode. That's not so bad with just plain dialogue sequences, but there's an exponential increase in the amount of work needed for more complex action scenes. With CGI, once you make something, you can essential reuse it forever in many different ways (which is part of why a lot of mecha anime out of Japan use CG mecha and ships).

12. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I don't know what they could have been smoking at WGA if the abrams got anything except razzie recognition for writing or cinematography (maybe a special Helen Keller award for the latter), but Nebulas for dramatic presentation have been a joke for nearly as long as there have been Nebulas. Doncha remember when Ellison predicted 'no award' because it'd be too embarrassing for them to do otherwise?

13. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I know. I said that CGI is cheaper and faster to produce than cel animation. I think you may have misread my post.

14. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Actually, the script for the Iron Man anime is being done by somebody in the West, if I'm not mistaken. And the anime looks great.

A Star Trek anime could be done by the people who did the anime DTV Batman movie, or just like it, script-wise.

That's why I'm aiming for an animated series done the way I've mentioned previously, uncanny valley be dammed.

15. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

What is ypour complaint about the new movie. No Darkness spoilers please.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This type pof show, to come out in 2014, would be a great way to keep interest as a bridge to the last JJ movie in 2016 for the anniversary.