X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I just want to see Cyclops and Jean Grey come back in a movie with Mr. Sinister as the main villain.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is why I was quite keen to see them come back to do X4 and X5 with new actors or not. If you do X4 as the Marauders Massacre you have an organic way to introduce new team members such as Psylocke, Dazzler, or Gambit (because Angel was crucified, Nightcrawler shredded, Kitty stuck out of phase, Colossus paralysed, etc), and it opens up the opportunity to bring back Scott and Jean (either as clones in which the original consciousnesses were housed by Phoenix or the originals captured by Sinister if Phoenix was merely a solid psychic projection). The goal was to use their DNA to create a powerful host body for Apocalypse so this plot leads organically into the Fall of the Mutants with the Angel of Death and other Horsemen in X5.

I would have said that a 6th film would have been Days of Future Past featuring Cable but they're going a different route for that one. But with those 6 stories done I'd feel they'd covered all the major truly 'classic' Xmen stories and I'd be happy for those movies to stand as the definitive X-movies whether they reboot or not.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I generally hesitate to call for a reboot, but I think this franchise is just about ready for one. Just think of it as a parallel universe like Ultimate vs 616.

4. Pauln6

Xmen don't really have an origin story per se, except Wolverine, unless that's the tale of how they became Xmen or how the Xmen are formed. I can't see what a reboot would bring.

But then I didn't see what a reboot of Spiderman brought. They'd have saved wasting half an hour of my time if they had skipped the origin and just featured a story about the lizard with a new cast.

5. Venardhi

A reboot allows you to get back to the basic premise with the core characters and none of the baggage from the last 15 years of X-Men movies. The Fox X-Universe has always been a compromise because in the late 90s no one thought you could sell comic book heroes to a mass audience without putting them in black leather and toning the whole thing down.

It also allows a mass recasting of Stewart, McKellen, Jackman, Berry, etc.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

While I'm against any pre-mature re-boots, I would agree that this particular incarnation of the franchise is coming close to running its course.

7. Pauln6

Any reboot of the X-men would be pretty grim in multi-coloured spandex. First Class and Avengers has got away with snazzier costumes but only just.

Mass re-casting does not require a reboot. I'm pretty confident that modern audiences can cope. I loathe reboots generally, although I give NuBSG a pass.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The only reboots that really bother me in principle are the ones that are too soon or unneeded.

For example Robocop was fine as it was and doesn't need a reboot. BSG had lain fallow for 30 years and the premise was rather wasted on the original show so a reboot was perfectly acceptable IMO. Star Trek...I think it desperately needed a fresh start, but not necessarily the one it got.

As for X-Men...the movies to date have been a little on the inconsistent side and somewhat incoherent to say the least so starting again with the First Class cast isn't at all a bad idea. I just feel sorry for whomever they get to play Wolverine once Jackman is done because that's not an easy act to follow.

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I'd love some X-Men movies with no Wolverine whatsoever. :lol:

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Good luck with that! :lol:

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Not all reboots have to be reimaginings, for example.

A reboot allows us to have the characters without having to deal with the storylines the movies created. You want Rogue as an established X-Men member as opposed to child just discovering them? You can do that. You want Jean Gray to still be alive or Senator Kelly to still be campaigning against mutants, you can do that. You think the Phoenix Saga was poorly done, you can do it again. It allows you to focus on the heart of X-Men stories without having to deal with the baggage the movies created.

Especially since a reboot wouldn't happen until probably 2020 at the earliest, I think they would have earned the ability to start fresh.

12. Venardhi

Pretty much.

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I don't know ... between his hilarious obsession with the Summers clan and his equally hilarious 1990scomics.jpg appearance, Mister Sinister is ... well, pretty lame.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Now that is exactly what re-imaginings are for! ;)

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

First Class almost did it, and his 10 seconds were hilarious to boot. :lol:

But yes, this.

16. Pauln6

The Four Horsemen of Apocaplyse were awful in the comics too. I do believe that Sinister, Apocalypse, and the Horsemen could be done better in a movie though.

I'm the first to admit that the Phoenix saga was squandered by making it a the B plot in an unnecessarily overcrowded movie. However, I think people praying that a reboot would bring someone along who will do it better are dreaming. That was our one chance and they blew it. Move along now. The Spiderman reboot is a bit different but barely better or worse than the original. Superman and Batman have been different but opinions are divided. Not every story or every style is going to appeal to every fan. Although the pacing was a bit off, I really loved the minimalist approach of the first x-movie and became increasingly nervous when the explosions and stunts started getting bigger and bigger. The flip side is I liked the teamwork element more in the third film.

Mind you, any movie about the Marauders would be pretty violent and bloody so maybe not what the producers really want...

17. Alidar Jarok

I don't think a reboot would bring in anyone better than Bryan Singer, but it could bring in someone just as good. The important thing is it would be better than Brett Ratner. Hell, they could keep Singer when they reboot it, I don't see why not.

18. Venardhi

Naw. We've seen Singer's X-Men, 5 and a half of them and a few spin-offs to boot. Both the core team and his prequel-soft-reboot-that-turned-out-not-to-be-a-reboot team. Singer was an up-and-comer in the '90s after The Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil. Surely his '10s equivalents deserve a shot too.

19. Alidar Jarok

Eh, I have no strong opinion either way. A talented director can reboot a series and give it a different tone without giving up control. But if someone else thinks they can do well or Singer is done after Apocalypse, I'm all for fresh blood.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Fair enough. He doesn't need to be the main villain, but he'd be an ideal way to bring those two back into the picture specifically because of his obsession with the Summers clan. Maybe if Apocalypse deals at all with Cable then that might lead into something like that.

And his Ultimate look isn't too awful bad. I imagine they'd aim more for that look than his original appearance.