Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by PattyW, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Only because this issue was started here, I wanted to let people know that James spoke to Greg and the stuff that seemed familiar from my scripts were familiar for reasons other than they came from my "fertile mind". So there is no issue here.

I thank James for handling the question as a professional.

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Well, that's a load off my mind.

3. Jay

Jay Commander Red Shirt

Are you saying Ms. Wright is making it up that she wrote the script and they didn't change a line? :(

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

She said it was credited to staff writers, so out of curiosity I looked up what IMDB lists the credits to be and what those men had credits for.

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

"Kitumba" was a mess. Sloppily edited, jingoistic, and just altogether too hamfisted. I don't know who's to blame for it specifically, because I know there's innumerable steps between typing "FADE IN:" and locking the final cut at playback, but as it stands, despite the high aspirations (which Phase II is clearly not lacking of) the episode itself was mostly a disappointment.

As for the Phase II message board/forums, I recall logging in in May and finding that the message board section was inoperable and unaccessible. Upon complaining about it on the Facebook page, someone was good enough to reply that they were in the process of upgrading the site and redesigning the forums, but it's still something of a disappointment that it's taking this long. I understand that there's a cost involved, and I understand that it's not a high priority at the moment, but it's still disappointing that such a void is there. Perhaps it's P2's way of directing their traffic to Facebook, where they can easily (and with less scrutiny) delete the comments they don't like. I don't know.

andreich, based on what I know about writing for television in Hollywood (especially freelance writing and submissions to network-produced series) as well as your account of how this all took place, I find it extremely difficult to believe.

Please understand: I'm not trying to suggest you are lying; but it does occur to me that as you were so young at the time this all took place, that I'm just curious if it is at all possible that you might be misremembering or just not aware of the entirety of the situation?

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Or that it was submitted hand-written on a yellow legal pad by a fourteen year-old and purchased with "two crisp twenty dollar bills?" :confused:

Perhaps so?

7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
  8. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Very interesting article. I think the success of STC has lit a little more fire in PII's belly. Sounds like the real winners are going to be the fans.

9. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

"A Fuzzy Thing Happened" = The Great Tribble Hunt? :klingon:

And "Joanna" is lonnnggg overdue. I'm really happy to hear Dorothy's finally getting to tell that story!

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're still making fabric that was used in TOS?

11. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

AFAIK James Cawley got an unknown amount of the original fabric from William Ware Theiss. It's not new stock, it's left over from the original series.

12. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

No, sorry - you're wrong. Bill Theiss willed (among other things) his notebooks containing the fabric swatches of the original fabric from TOS. James went to extensive lengths to have the fabric duplicated and yes, now made again - thanks to the generous donations of Greg.

Phase II does own several "original" costumes...both from TOS and Phase II (and from TNG). Several of James' "Kirk" costumes actually are Shatner's originals.

In addition, a "lot" of "scrap fabric" was purchased back in 08 from "It's a Wrap!" When we went through it we discovered that the fabric was actually cut out and traced out "Phase II" uniforms. The patterns were drawn and saved, and the uniforms assembled.

So, a lot of the stuff they own is "original fabric". In addition, Greg paid a buttload to make hundreds of yards of the fabric to make new uniforms.

(James did own a bunch of original TNG fabric from his time working for Bill, but I believe he's since sold it.)

(and on the other issue...I didn't come here bragging about writing a script for Komack: I was just using it as an example. It doesn't really matter if anyone believes me or not. I know, and that's enough for me - I don't need to invest the time in having family and friends come here to testify as to what happened. Doubleohfive - I guess I was a lot older at 14 than you were. I created and ran a biannual "Town Beautification" event, I produced a Variety Show and ran a carnival both to raise money for MDA, I built sets for the local pro theater, and I was volunteering as an adult for the GSA, in addition to editing and publishing a fanzine...all while I was 14. Ya know, at the time I used to pedal my banana seat bike to the local lumberyard and sweet talk the workers into giving me 1x8x10 "scrap" wood and rode it home to build a 10x10x10 "play house" and once a week would ride it 13 miles round trip to purchase the latest "Tony Orlando and Dawn" release - and I, myself, find those completely hard to believe - though I know I did them. I suspect we all did stuff when we were young that is now hard to believe - a lot harder to believe than a known unscrupulous producer bought a cheap script to get a quick, low budget episode out. So I am fine if people don't believe it - that's not why I discussed it.)

13. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

I used to make my own smoothies... there were a lot of steps involved.

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

15. Maurice

Extraordinary claims and all that.

16. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

Yeah. I found out later that most of my extra-curricular activities were just hallucinations. (I was in high school -- I had to buy the cheap stuff.)

17. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You made an outrageous claim that isn't easily validated or verifiable (save for your own personal word) which flies in the face of everything I've been taught or observed about this business since I started, you know, working in it nearly a decade ago.

I didn't say that what you were telling us is impossible.

Nor did I accuse you of lying.

I asked if it were possible that you might be misremembering things, or perhaps just not privy to all the facts of the situation given how young you were then and how much time has passed since.

I was 14 when I was 14 and while there are some things I remember with the clarity of the Hubble Telescope, there are other things I couldn't recall if my life depended on it. Every year my memory of things fades a little bit, as I suspect it does for everyone. Neither of us are machines and we can't simply recall every single detail about every single moment in our lives precisely on command. You'll forgive me then if I take your assertion with a grain of salt.

That's all really cool. And in my day, it took 15 minutes to connect to Netscape Navigator to check my email. None of which however has to do with the claim you made or my query of you.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  18. Maurice

For the Chico story as described to be true, the following must necessarily follow (assuming IMBD's credits are correct to the episode):
    1. Komack took the story and "paid" with two twenties
    2. This script was so good it was shot with "no changes", even though sitcoms typically work in an iterative fashion where table reads and rehearsals result in adjustments
    3. Ron Friedman took story by credit (and presumably payment), knowing he didn't write it
    4. George Arthur Bloom and Henry Irving shared teleplay credit with Friedman (and presumably payment), meaning three writers took credit for something none of them worked on (if it was shot with "no changes")
    Possible? Likely? You decide...

19. Super Space Star

Super Space Star Lieutenant Red Shirt

You don't know much about Hollywood, do you? Either that, or you're playing dumb.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Maurice knows a thing or two about Hollywood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.