so THATS why some of the cast didn't like Diana Muldaur

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Borjis, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

2. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Wonder why she said Gene died between 2nd and 3rd seasons when he in fact died a couple years afterwards? Honest mistake? Still a good interview though.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a conspiracy!

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't there some sort of Roddenberry clause in contracts for his actresses-turned-comfort-women?

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Diana Muldaur didn't want to sign a standard five seasons contract with TNG, so they let her leave her and brought back Gates McFadden. The producers REALLY didn't want three different CMDs for the first three seasons.

6. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I also don't buy her "there was nothing creative about it" after Roddenberry died. Season 3 marked the beginning of TNG's best episodes.

7. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I wonder if she even watched the show, being as she was a little mixed up over when he died?

It's a really nice interview on the whole though. I really appreciated Pulaski in season two, and have ever since read very little about Diane Muldaur's time on the show. Or before and after, for that matter. Well, whatever I have read or watched has only left positive vibes. It wasn't her fault she was paid more, or that she replaced Gates McFadden in the first place.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm sure being friends with Roddenberry had something to do with that!:lol:

But the rest of the TNG cast ended up being paid more in the end after seven seasons (six for McFadden) and also four movies.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Could have been an interesting way to go with the series though, new doctor at the beginning of each season. Look at how many Chief Engineers Picard went through.

:)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  10. Seven of Five

11. Seven of Five

Good point! I just meant that she didn't want to be tied down for several ears, hence the Guest Star contract.

Yeah, moot point really.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing I really want to know is if she was ever asked to return later in the series' run. I just think what a missed opportunity it would have been to see Pulaski and Crusher match wits in Season 5's "Ethics". I know she didn't like her time with Season 2, but Crosby didn't like her time during Season 1 and she returned 6 times (Yesterday's Enterprise, The Minds Eye, the two Redemption Episodes, and the Unification 2 parter).

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Gates McFadden, but Diana Muldaur's Pulaski really clicked for me. I would have been happy having her around in some capacity for the entire series run.

14. EmperorTiberius

EmperorTiberius Captain Captain

Same here. I like her sense of humor.

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Glad there are other Muldaur/Pulaski fans. I find McFadden (infact most of TNG) dull.

16. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

Pulaski was a kind of throw back to McCoy. I liked that about her character. Plus I liked the tie-in with having an actress who was tied to the original series. I would have liked her to have had another couple of seasons to grow.

17. Worf's Beard

Worf's Beard Lieutenant Red Shirt

I actually liked Pulaski's character. There was something a bit grating about her character that I actually appreciated. I have no problem with Beverley Crusher in the show, but it was good to see Pulaski brought in because I did find season one's Crusher a bit bland (she improved in later seasons).

18. EmperorTiberius

It would have been even better if she actually played Dr. Munhal in TNG. She could have been 110 years old in TNG season two. They could have made it a point to celebrate her birthday and Riker could have talked Data into making some crazy joke about her age, to get her back for her constant jibes.

I think writers missed a great opportunity.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dr. Mulhall. :)

I wouldn't have had any objection if she had been the same character.

20. EmperorTiberius

Ah, ok :)

Now that I think about it, I can't believe Gene missed the train on that one. It would have showed off how humans have advanced in medicine. I know we've seen McCoy at 130 or whatever, but that was too brief.