Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Cardio-wise, I may have reached a plateau phase. On the other hand, I've noticed minor improvements in muscle tone (shoulders, chest, delts, buttocks) after having done more push-ups (using Perfect Push-Up Handles) and doing dips and some resistance training here and there. I'm still light-years away from having a perfectly athletic body (which isn't something I expect to have anyway), but I'm beginning to feel fitter and more confident. :)

2. TJinLOCA

TJinLOCA Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, this losing weight thing is tough. :( The workouts are going well, and I'm definitely getting more fit ... but geez, it's slow going. I've been hard at it for over a month and I haven't managed to lose 5 pounds yet.

I've been very good about the diet (eating every 3 hours, high protein, tons of veggies, no sugar other than fruit, and I've cut way back on alcohol). But even with three intense workouts a week (Turbulence Training - weights and interval training on the treadmill) plus another 2-3 extended cardio sessions (usually running or hiking) on the off days, it's just not coming off. It's pretty discouraging.

The only somewhat bad thing I'm doing is having a glass (occasionally two) of wine several times a week ... but I swear, if I have to cut that out altogether just to lose another pound I may decide to chuck the entire thing. I've never had this much trouble losing weight in my life! Getting old sucks. :(

3. Gryffindorian

Not all weight is bad weight. Perhaps you've gained some muscle mass? I don't have much faith in the BMI system because it doesn't account for muscle weight.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep it up. It's definitely possible that you've put on some muscle that you didn't have before, and muscle is heavier than fat.

In general, the mirror a much better judge than the scale. Do you look better? Are your clothes getting looser?

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I finally got back on the treadmill after months and months of not doing anything. I've been going really slowly, but at least I'm making myself move for 30-45 minutes, and my asthma's not giving me grief about it. I hope I can keep this going.

6. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Just wanted to say that this weekend I went back to the midwest, and I was a freaking animal on the treadmill with all the extra oxygen! :lol:

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I found this horrifying pic of me from about 1994, 4 years before I started lifting again after a 9 year drought. I figured I'd put it up in the hope it might inspire some people that they can change.

[​IMG]

RAMA

8. Gryffindorian

Wow, RAMA. You looked totally different back then. It's been said that people look a lot younger when they've lost some weight, and I can see that.

As for me, I've been able to keep my blood sugar within a desirable range. Yesterday I had my blood pressure taken, and it was within normal, too. That was a surprise, considering it always seems high whenever I go to the doctor.

I've been just a bit more "liberal" about my eating habits lately, although I try not to overindulge. When I go to Starbucks, I usually get the iced coffee (instead of the macchiatto or latte), and I just add Splenda and some half-and-half. I've been to a couple of restaurants in the past week or so but have ordered something light from the menu (mostly salads). I eat oatmeal or a bowl of cereal for breakfast, salad and/or half a sandwich for lunch, and a regular dinner (rice with meat and veggies). Fruit is part of my daily diet now.

I use my cardio machine at home for 30 minutes six to seven days a week. (One thing I never stop doing is exercise). I've also been using my Push-up handles, and I've noticed some improvement in upper body muscle tone.

What can I say? It's good to have lost some weight and my clothes have gotten much loose that I have to tighten my belt so my pants won't fall off. :lol:

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Well, started yesterday, I'm going to give this fitness thing a shot. I'm 5'10", 185lbs, so not really fat, just need to trim things up a bit, and prevent myself from staying at this level. Would like to get to about 170lbs, eventually. Trying a fitness regimine a buddy found online, a mixture of cardio and some lifting. Not exactly trying for the 6-pack abs it advertises, just looking to get a little more fit, drop some weight. If the end result is dead sexy, well, ok ;)

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just remember: muscle is heavier than fat, so don't be surprised if you actually put on weight (or more likely, stay about the same weight). In your case, since you're not morbidly obese or anything, it's probably best to just ignore the scale. The mirror will be a better judge.

11. Gryffindorian

RoJo, would you also take into account body fat percentage when it comes to weight? I have this weighing scale at home that measures that, too. I haven't used it in ages; I don't want to get disappointed all the time. :shifty: Last time I checked, though (about two years ago), I was at 24%.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, not really. It's definitely a better number to look at than just weight alone, but again, unless you're morbidly obese or trying to compete in a bodybuilding competition, it doesn't make that big a difference. You can pretty much just use basic observation to tell whether or not you're healthy.

13. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, RAMA! That is impressive! :techman:

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hey thanks, that first year in 1998 I dropped 50 pounds! Since then my weight has gone up or down depending on how I lift, but the weight no longer controls me. :techman:

RAMA

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

24% is a bit high for a male...and this is at 185 pounds?? You may want to redesign your diet, and cut out the fatty and processed foods. Lower your carbs a bit (but not eliminate them). Males should be 15-18% depending on their size and activity level.

RAMA

16. Gryffindorian

Thanks. I was looking at two different sites that had information on the "normal" range of body fat for males and females. Wikipedia, I believe, stated that Normal was from 18% to 25%. Another site suggested that under 18% body fat was ideal for guys.

I haven't weighed myself lately, but I know I've lost some weight. My body build is medium, I suppose. I've always been into cardio exercise and never done any serious resistance training (thus the lack of upper body development). Surprisingly, I've always been "average" or slender (though I'm far from being athletic or even skinny in the sense).

EDIT:

Okay, I checked Wikipedia again, and it says that the 18% - 25% range is considered "Acceptable," but the "Athletic" types should be in the 14% - 17% range. Obviously I'm not an athlete and could never look like a supermodel, :lol: but as long as I can keep it within a healthy range, I guess that's fine. I'm also more concerned about watching my cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and weight management is an important aspect of that.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

20% probably won't kill you, but 18% would be a good solid goal.

RAMA

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've actually been sleeping like a fairly normal human being the last few weeks, so my recovery time has decreased quite a bit. I have a lot of energy every day, and I keep working out. I need to force myself to take a day off!

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My new gym has a heated lap pool. I went out and bought a new bathing suit this afternoon. Starting tomorrow, I am going to try and start a swimming routine in the morning to try and get rid of this stubborn fat around my love handles. My roommate and I did this for a while in college, and it really helped. I just hate all other forms of cardio!