50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Zygons were a villain I'm kinda surprised took this long to return. I understand not bringing back the Ice Warriors. But having a bad guy that can more or less take any humanoid form they kidnap seems like an interesting range of stories and ways to really show characters depth. Big Finish with the 8th doctor had some really interesting Zygon stories a few years ago.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah and that's the trouble with the original Silurian look. Shame they couldn't have made Vastra's kind more of an offshoot.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a feeling that these scenes aren't part of the main plot of the Special but show what 10 is up to when we see him again. Tennant's a big fan of the Zygons, so Moffat probably chucked one in as a favour to him.

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The old Silurians were a million times better. The whole point of the original story is that they don't have human faces, but that doesn't mean we should treat them differently.

Giving them human faces ruins the point and just comes across as xenophobic. As if the audience shouldn't care about people who don't look like them.

6. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or, given the budget, being able to see the actors emote was the driving force behind the current makeup. It's hard to care about a rubber mask, no matter what it looks like.

So far as the special goes, I'm surprised at just how excited I am to see Ten again. Now if only Nine could make an appearance. :( He's still my Doctor.

7. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

I think it's meant to reflect how we see different races as less alien than many decades ago, but have random compulsions to kill them even with the slightest difference, so it expands the message closer to discrimination in general, and not only racial discrimination which is an old story, and they even look a bit like they have some skin disease.

8. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have my own way of explaining it.

The warrior Silurians in New series who like to wear masks.

The Silurians in the classic series look like men in masks - so perhaps they were Silurians in masks too, be it for life support or what have you. The climate has changed after all.

Even allows an explanation why the third eye has different functions too - in their first appearance its a weapon so perhaps its just built in to the helmet like 70s Cybermen. In their second appearance its for communications with their sub.

I suppose ideally Rose could be paired with her other Doctor, but I'd believe that when I'd see it.

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Zygons huh? Interesting choice, but I'm just so glad that they're going for a classic villain. I think this has the making of a great episode. If it's just Matt an Tennant with the Zygons, I have a nice little felling that this will resemble the Two Doctors more than the Three of Five Doctors which for me is great as the two doctors is my favourite cross-over ever, and one of my favourite episodes. Although, I still really want to see Paul come back. he needs a second time on screen. but at least my doctor is back for the big day!

Originally, I thought this 50th anniversary would be doomed from the start with Moffatt the helms, with him you'd have thought that it would just be Smith with some new villain and a complicated plot twist even Moffatt does not fully understand. If this 50th special is awesome, Moffatt may be redeemed in my eyes. Hopefully though at the end there won't be something that would really piss me off happening in it like the doctor regenerating into a woman or something.

Really for this one, I just want a good old doctor team up with a great villain and a great episode. No complicated plot twists that lead into something awful and confusing like series 6 or the doctor being a Dalek or something. Really, I'd rather not have the doctor regenerating in this one seeing that his last adventure would be with a past version of himself.

Also while we're on the topic of Tardis outsides, I prefer DT's Tardis, looks a bit more realistic compared to MS's. I don't like how bright his is.

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Yes, it's very important to have a realistic TARDIS! ;)

11. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

It better be more than just DT and Rose. We only saw them a couple of years ago. I want Ecclestone, McGann, and McCoy, at least! :P

12. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I'd like Eccleston, McGann, and McCoy back too. I wouldn't want Colin Baker, Peter Davidson, Tom Baker, or an imitation of the first three back though as they're too old for the role though.

However as much as I want to see McGann again, a Smith Tennant team up sounds good as well. But really right now, I'd just be thankful that we're getting more than one doctor back and a classic villain to go with it.

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Nah, it would be cool to include the older Doctors as well. It's very easy to include a reason for the older appearance. And, it's a celebration of the 50 years, not just the last 8.

Mr Awe

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, Time Crash has the best explanation ("hair's a bit greyer, that's because of me though, two of us together has shorted out the time differential, should all snap back in place when we get you home"), and we don't need another.

15. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

The hell you say!

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

There is no respect for the classic series, I would be upset if there was no classic Doctor (this includes Mcgann) in this special.

17. The Doctor

It's mostly a celebration of the last eight. I'm guessing that Eccleston would have been included if he wanted the job, but not any of the older Doctors.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

But McGann is the last 8 ;)

19. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Which is fucking ridiculous. If they wanted to celebrate the 8th anniversary with a New Who, they should've release a special on the anniversary of Rose. They're not; they're releasing it on the 50th anniversary of An Unearthly Child. This should be a celebration of Who in all its forms from beginning to the present, not any particular era.

That said, I'm still not entirely convinced we WON'T in fact get any classic Doctors or companions, but a celebration of 50 years that "mostly" celebrates the latest eight is just insulting.

20. The Doctor

Look, a popular kids show is running an anniversary special featuring characters that the current fans of the show would conceivably remember. What, precisely, is insulting about that? More to the point, when did you develop the notion that you were owed anything by this television show?