Orphan Black kept my Attention.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't hold my breath. Getting the best actress nod will be difficult enough...

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know but I can dream. ;)

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Another good one, but a strange ending.

And we have to wait nearly a year for S2.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I thought that Helena was going to bring the whole house down when she was trying to get free, causing Sarah to get avoid arrest and get away. :rommie:

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly wasn't as affected by the cliffhanger ending as I thought it would be. In a way, I'm not sure I care about what happens to Kira, and I think Sarah is going to get her back. My main excitement is that it felt like this season wrapped up perfectly and we're now heading into Phase 2. I got the sense that the person Rachael was talking to was Mrs. S, and that she took Kira.

Everything else about this episode rocked though. The scenes between Helena and Sarah were amazing, and I knew one of the clones would be killed off. I thought it was going to be Allison though, so I was happy that wasn't the case. Really looking forward to season 2. Now we've got ethical questions that are worth exploring. It's almost like I expect Season 2 to be a long season of TNG's Measure of a Man, Property vs. Freedom. That is something I'm looking forward to, especially since this is Orphan Black and the writing as been awesome.

6. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Seemed like this finale episode was partially "cleaning the slate" for the next season. (ie. The annoying neighbor, birth mother, Helena, etc ... appearing to be killed off).

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Yes "appearing". I wouldn't be surprised to see Helena again.

I'm assuming Mrs. S isn't aware Amelia had info on her, so she probably trashed her own house to make it "look good".

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I never thought for a second that the blonde annoying neighbor was Allison's monitor. She was so convinced that it was I knew it was a red herring and it was going to be the husband all along.

I'm extremely disappointed that Helena was killed off (yes I realize that may not be the case, but for now I will assume she is) as she was my favorite Tatiana character besides Sarah. I am intrigued about this Rachel character though, it seems we exchanged one evil clone for another, will be interesting to see what her story is next season.

I remembered something that Guy said weeks ago, and almost thought that Helena would kill of Sarah in tonight's episode, then next season we'd be following another clone. That would be bold storytelling right there. But it won't happen as this really is Sarah's story.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Good finale.

The patent stuff is sort of silly. I'd like to see them make that hold up in court.

"Yes your honor, these women are clearly our property to do with as we please"

"Property? really? You do realize the emancipation proclamation was signed nearly 150 years ago?"

"Yes your honor, but that only applies to humans. These are clones and clearly not human"

"All right. Prove to this court that a clone is also not a human."

"umm"

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yea the whole property thing didn't really make me go 'wow!'. Cloning is against the law so to go public and try to claim a person(which is ridiculous) would be claiming something illegal so that wouldn't work either.

I kind of expected bigger things in the finale. Ever since I saw the interview with the actor who plays Felix and released he was faking an accent for the show I've been expecting that he would play the male version of the clones. When the picture of Mrs. S having been a scientist involved with the clones I thought the next reveal was going to be she took a male and female clone with her.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

You're not thinking deviously enough.

You're assuming the whole clone has to be claimed as property. That's actually the last thing Dyad would want to do since what's against the law is cloning a whole human being. There is no law against cloning organic tissue or individual body parts for organ replacement, however, which means all that's required is enough tissue to get a good DNA sample, because the tag will be imprinted on DNA throughout the body. All you have to do is kill the clone and harvest the organs. If you need to present the DNA tag in court, all you have to do is present an organ as the source material. A clone is a human being. A heart is just a heart until it's inside somebody.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Next season will be set in Washington in part where clones will be pushing through laws about.... Wait: Canada.

Ottawa.

How hard is it push though parliament meaningless laws that look like science fiction gobbledegook?

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I don't understand why they even tried to make us think she was. We saw her husband burning the original contents of his safety box while making an ominous phone call about both it and Allison finding out. There was no question as to who her watcher was from the audience's point of view due to that single scene.

Why are you assuming she is? They already pretty much told us that these clones have some very special abilities, as evident in Kira's miraculous recovery -- and she's only "half-clone." What's more, every time a clone has suffered an external physical injury that didn't result in death, they've been shown to recover from it pretty quickly even if it didn't register to them. Helena getting stabbed in the gut, for example. Hell, just take a look at Sarah's face in this episode after her final encounter with Helena. By the time she's at the window crying out for Kira, most of the bruising is gone and I could only just barely see the cut on her lip. And that was just in a matter of hours, tops.

I'm curious about why the project was named Leda. Seems an odd choice, as all I remember of Leda from mythology is that she was raped by Zeus on the same night she had sex with a king, and no one knew which of her children (one of whom was named Helen, coincidentally) were mortal or divine. I'm thinking that has to play into the story somehow.

14. sojourner

^I think Helena is dead. Sarah doesn't strike me as the type of person not to check the body.
    LOL, whut? So murdering a clone to harvest the organs is legal?

15. Jaron

Jaron Captain Captain

Helen was considered the most beautiful woman in the world. I'm guessing Project LEDA wasn't just trying to make a clone, they were trying to make the most "beautiful" woman possible, by neolutionist standards. I imagine they're more interested in wonderful genes than a wonderful face.

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

No, wise-ass, which was my point. Dr. Leekie has already demonstrated he and his cohorts are willing to break the law, including commit murder, to achieve their goals, and the question was how do you enforce the patent embedded in the clones DNA without presenting the clones in court. I'm saying you don't. You kill the clones, harvest the organs, destroy the carcass with acid and then say the patent is embedded to protect the proprietary process that created the organs, without saying that creating human clones was part of that process.

17. sojourner

Unfortunately, the clones are already out there.

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When was cloning banned? If the clones were created BEFORE the law was passed, then the scientists might have SOME legal basis for making them property....this being a long term project, they are anticipating future changes in legislation.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

From wikipedia

and

20. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain