What Are Your Favorite Post-Apocalyptic Genre Books (No Spoilers)?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ro_Laren, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

One summer when I was bored, I grabbed a book off of my parent's bookshelf. The book was called Alas, Babylon and I absolutely loved it. However, I never read anything or watched anything related to the post-apocalyptic genre after that. That is until a couple of years back when I watched the Jericho series and then a couple of other post-apocalyptic films and shows, such as the Walking Dead. Recently, I've been reading a book called One Second After by William R. Forstchen. I've found that I really like the post-apocalyptic genre and am wondering if you can recommend any other books in the genre. Post the title, author, and the particular circumstance that led to the apocalyptic event (ex: EMP, nuclear bomb, disease, etc.). Please don't post any spoilers! TBH, I'm not really interested in any books where there are zombies or alien invasions, lol. I'll start:
    • Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank - Nuclear war
    • One Second After by William R. Forstchen - EMP

2. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm currently reading The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad and Adolph Hitler. It's awesome.

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alas, Babylon is one of my favorites, too.

On the Beach by Nevil Shute. A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. Both nuclear war stories.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

How about Dies the Fire, by S.M. Stirling? Whole 'Emberverse' series is worth a read, and if you want to get the other side of the same coin, should start with the Island in a Sea of Time 3-book series first. The Island books takes a contemporary group and drops them in the ancient past (so they've got the tech advantage and knowledge), whereas Dies the Fire leaves the world alone but takes away the functionality of modern tech (electricity, guns, etc.) instead. Appropriate end of world shenannigans ensue...

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just going to post general recommendations, because to do what you want would be incredibly spoilery:
    Terry Brooks' Shannara novels (particularly the Word and the Void Trilogy [Running with the Demon, A Knight of the Word, and Angel Fire East], the Genesis of Shannara Trilogy [Armageddon's Children, The Elves of Cintra, and The Gypsy Morph], the Legends of Shannara Duology [Bearers of the Black Staff and The Measure of the Magic], and The Elfstones of Shannara)
    Philip Reeve's Predator Cities Quartet (Mortal Engines, Predator's Gold, Infernal Devices, and A Darkling Plain)

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Showing my age:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
    A Canticle for Lebowitz by Walter Miller.

7. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me, the greatest post-apocalyptic book ever written is still Stephen King's The Stand. Apocalypse via disease, but that's just the beginning of the story.

You could also try Robert McCammon's Swan Song. If memory serves, nuclear war was the culprit there.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

If you want another option, could check out The Passage, but Justin Cronin. Plague victim/vampire angle, but not sparkly so it's ok ;)

9. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Stephen King rules. :adore:

My favourite post-apocalyptic books are his Dark Tower novels. Roland's world is very much this, and the sad, forlorn atmosphere speaks to me a lot. Well, I worship King's work anyway, but his magnum opus is the best of the best.

10. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a King fanatic and Dark Tower devotee myself, but I wasn't sure about recommending a 7 (7 1/2?) book cycle to a new reader. But yes, Roland's journey through Mid-World into End-World is both bleak and beautiful.

Long days and pleasant nights to you, Sai. Ka be with you!

11. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Earth Abides by George Stewart. Read it for a class in college and loved it.

12. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alas Babylon
    Malevil
    The Stand
    The Warlord series

13. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

I'll second the recommendations for A Canticle for Liebowitz and One Second After. And add

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle (comet strike)
    The Postman by David Brin (don't remember what the disaster was) -- AVOID THE MOVIE ADAPTATION!! :rolleyes:

14. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I had heard of Lucifer's Hammer and Earth Abides before - they sound interesting. I also say that A Canticle for Leibowitz has a lot of good reviews online.

15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised no one has mentioned World War Z

16. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Some fossilized choices, but goodies, IMHO:

Warday by Whitley Strieber
    Nature's End by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka

17. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  18. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That would only surprise people that didn't read the entire original post.

I second Dies the Fire and Lucifer's Hammer and add Poul Anderson's Orion Shall Rise.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The Road ....by Cormac McCarthy

20. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't have any new titles to add but I really liked Alas, Babylon and Warday.