So what was the deal with Robert Beltran?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by anothertrekfan, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Zameaze

Zameaze Commodore Commodore

Sorry. In other words, I just made it up as a comment on Arizona's new anti-immigration law.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I'm happy with it if it keeps the drug dealers out of my backyard. Personally I don't know why anybody who doesn't live here should give a fuck anyway. Besides we might nab a few terrorists sneaking in through Mexico and that's a goddamn bonus. Please note I'm not a conservative. But I am a consequentialist. America will see. The ends justify the means.

3. Chuckling

Chuckling Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thank-you for clarifying that it isn't a real report and didn't actually happen.

Chuckling :)

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  4. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

But TNG and DS9 are the Trek TV series kings since in part they characterised all major characters well. In TNG, we know the basic backgrounds of Picard, Riker, Data, La Forge, Crusher, Troi, Worf, Wesley, Tasha Yar, etc. Even minor characters like O'Brien, Guinan, Barclay, etc. were developed to some degree.

In DS9, well this was the Trek king in terms of character development. All major and recurring characters had detailed backgrounds. In contrast, Voyager did not. This is what makes Voyager, IMO, the poor relation compared to TNG and DS9.

I enjoyed Voyager, since it had good storytelling, similar to TNG and DS9. However, it did not live up to its full potential.

5. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

i enjoyed that the late ds9 seasons did no more torture miles episodes, and like o'brien's, chakotay's star was waning. i guess they did some polls which characters are liked best, and focused on them. janeway, the doc, 7. can't help but totally agree. i also agree with not overdetailing the backgrounds of the characters, it's simply boring. i want to see them in action, not chatting with pop and mom, or dealing with a traumatic childhood experience. the focus on the main stars, and the action delivered made voyager the superior show.

6. JosephineM

JosephineM Cadet Newbie

7. tkron

tkron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gee, I wonder why. Even on Voyager, he was only illegal because he was Marquis, and he was only an alien if you consider that he was born on another planet.

P.S. SHOP ARIZONA!!!

8. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

Interesting i hadn't seen that interview before. I remember reading that he said how the writers clearly didn't care so why should he. If he had a decent script im sure we would have seen some good acting.

9. Itachi

Itachi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

... you know i've already gave Beltran so much sh*t over the years. I just haven't had the chance to do it personally. I would like to hehe:lol:. I actually just asked someone on youtube linking to one of his vids of him bashing trekkies if they ever wonder if he reads the stuff people say about him. Idk i personally think he's afraid to see but can't help but wonder. If he does he definatly hates me now:techman:HA!

10. Angelsilhouette

Angelsilhouette Lieutenant Red Shirt

I had heard that Garrett Wang was pretty critical of Rick Berman (OK very very critical), perhaps that's why Robert Beltran was not fond of working on Voyager?

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Wang was critical of Berman because he wouldn't let him direct. Mainly because Wang refused to take the same directing course that ALL THE OTHER Trek actors-turned-Directors took.

12. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems to me Beltran didn't understand anything about science fiction, so he didn't understand that the Maquis crap was a dead end dramatically. It locked Chakotay into being wrong most of the time. Also, he didn't understand that dropping Chakotay's Mechanical Magic Mushroom did to the nature of the character. A science fiction character who doesn't explore the science fiction inthe character is useless. Seska deballing Chakotay pretty much finished it off.

So, when he didn't get big scenes, he just tuned out.

As to Wang/Berman, wasn't it Biller who turned him down for the directing gig? There seems to have been some sort of friction, perhaps Mulgrew disliked Wang (whose Harry Kim persona is apparently totally acting) as a rather active young man. There was a suspension for tardiness but Wang wasn't getting lines and scenes for a long time before fourth season. Caretaker was probably his high point. It's not clear why he was listed in the main cast.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Wang is just a lousy actor, and rarely took his job on VOY seriously (I don't mean all stiff and serious like prima donna actors, but no really professional either).

14. Itachi

Itachi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok how did this all of a sudden be about Garrett Wang?

15. Adm_Hawthorne

Adm_Hawthorne Admiral Admiral

All threads on TBBS digress into something other than the topic. That's just the natural order of the universe... Like Janeway having a cup of coffee when someone comes to see her in her ready room.

16. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

I remember reading a comment Mulgrew made where she liked her time working on Voyager and "Out of a cast of 9, I've made 3 great friends."

I haven't really looked but apart from Wang, was there anyone else Mulgrew and/or the other cast didn't get along with?

17. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Mulgrew did not like Jeri Ryan and according to Wang and others, made Jeri's life miserable for the time she was on the show.

She said at a con last year that she was wrong about that.

18. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Mulgrew did not like Jeri Ryan and according to Wang and others, made Jeri's life miserable for the time she was on the show. Most egregious was her sniffing that costumes are part of the job & actors shouldn't complain when Jeri passed out because the Borg suit was cutting flow through her carotid artery.

Kate, meanwhile, is on record for whinging about the hair and the bras for years.

She said at a con last year that she was wrong about how she treated Jeri.

19. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously, you really think Beltran is sitting around hating on you?

20. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

Oh wow. I had no idea. :eek: That seems interesting, considering the on-screen relationship between Janeway and Seven.