The Fight: worst episode ever?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by klwilbur, Aug 5, 2013.

1. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I thought parts of Darkling were funny....like in sickbay when the Doctor was coming onto B'Elanna LOL

2. Lipton

Lipton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Regarding "The Fight" - The whole concept of chaotic space came off as extremely ridiculous to me as a kid and it still does.

The doctor taunting Chakotay in his vision, saying boxing was dangerous and you ended up as a "crazy old man" made me scoff in disbelief as a twelve year old. It came across as way too corny to be taken seriously. It was pretty much a parody, not a real episode.

IMO "Threshold" was the worst, though, as it seemed like cheap fan fic written by a fifteen year old to me. What puts it over as the worst episode of Trek in general for me is the way Tom pulls his tongue out and laughs. We switched genres and it was suddenly briefly like a cheesy horror film. The salamander babies couldn't make it worse for me after that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Me too. Now it makes 4!
    I like that the whole cast works together so well. There are so many nice little scenes
    Kes/Neelix (looking for Kes`quartier)
    Neelix/Chakotay (Neelix asking Chakotay about being jealous)
    Chakotay/Tuvok (the old conflict between them. Unfortunately they didn`t show more about it)

As for "the Fight"- although I`m a Chakotayfan I don`t like this episode. It`s chaotic and unbelievably. Chakotay: peaceful man and boxing!!Bad idea!

Agree about the other episodes.
    I also don`t like "Muse", "Prophecy", "Threshold", "11:59", "Think Tank", "The Bride Of Chaotica", "The Raven", "Fury", "Sacred Ground", "False Profits", "The Thaw", "Heroes & Demons"

4. Lipton

Lipton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought "Twisted" was kind of fun, actually :) A bit like the Twilight Zone.

"11:59" could have been interesting. But to have a whole show mainly about Janeway's ancestor? Now, what would have been cool is seeing flashbacks of each of the crew's ancestors, not just hers. Really a wasted opportunity if you ask me.

"Muse" seems to me like an episode without much of a B-plot. All they did on Voyager was worry about B'Elanna and Harry, briefly. It was pretty much a nod to the contracts of the other cast, but not much else.

5. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

But that B plot was quite telling. Knowing how B'Elanna explained how deeply emotional, the unemotional Vulcan were, then seeing Tuvok work himself into a stupor looking for her, was epic.

I loved Muse!

Especially this part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF13pMAyiFE

"One to ascend...."

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF13pMAyiFE[/yt]

Sad to say, (IIRC) the actress that played the scorned lover died after appearing a few times on Enterprise.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Fight" was a bad episode (although I like Chakotay). But it's not the worst episode.

The worst episode of Voyager and the worst episode ever in any TV series is "Fury". :barf:

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't hate "Threshold", just like I can't hate "Spock's Brain".

It's been ages since I saw it, but I remember liking "Darkling" - especially how EeeeeeevilDoc wore contacts and chin putty.

Thanks!:D

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The Fight is a really bad episode. Even most bad Voyager episodes can say the story is competently structured, even though they are bad stories. The Fight is not even competently structured. It's a storytelling mess, it's boring, it's stupid, it makes no sense, and it was obviously some writer's bad excuse to bring back his favorite single appearance character from TNG.

Worst episode ever? No, Fair Haven, Spirit Folk and Threshold out-suck it.

Muse? Eh, it was a good try.

9. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I wonder better to portray something like Chaotic Space in a satisfying manner. All we really got was wobbly star effects and broken sensors.

Also I watched this epsiode about 2 weeks ago and I've already forgotten why the aliens attempts at communication made Chakotay hallucinate a boxing ring?

It's an episode that relies a lot on strange experiences - weird space, weird aliens - and can't really think of a good way to convey that to audiences. That or, looking at it the other way, round, they wanted a character piece with Chakotay and jotted in the scifi stuff just to justify it.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Fury is the episode comes back all mad, right?
    What's wrong with the episode?

11. picsiskvinechef

picsiskvinechef Lieutenant

er.. boxing being dangerous is medical fact. do you also "scoff" at transfats being harmful, or tobacco?

12. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Yeah, Kes comes back and her memories are twisted so she doesnt clearly remember her time on voyager
    I think it's a great episode

13. picsiskvinechef

picsiskvinechef Lieutenant

Incidentally, I don't hate this ep, but it really is a WEIRD-arse one lol..

We did see Chakotay's people though, but still no tribe name lol.. Getting an elderly native American actor (who looked/sounded like the character in TNG's Journey End, well to me anyhow) to play his grandfather doesn't cut it.

14. Lynx

What's "great" with such unnecessary character destruction and a deliberate spit in the faces of the fans of that character?

15. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I thought the epsode was good. Anytime a character acts differently than normal is interesting to see. There was some great action in it. Kes storming down the hall with everything blowing up behind her was a great scene!

I don't think the character was destroyed at all. At the end she was able to regain herself and went to help her people. That seems very Kes-like to me.

If you don't like the episode that's cool, I liked it though

16. Lynx

^^
    In that case, I must recommend "Warlord" which is a much better episode. In that one, Kes is possessed by an alien warlord, acts strange but is restored back to normal at the end. In "Fury" she was too much out of character and at the end became a pathetic wreck. That's what I call character destruction.

17. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I've seen Warlord it's not one of my favorites.

I don't think Kes was a pathetic wreck. I think she lost herself, and with Janeway and her past self was able to find herself again. At the end she's the same kindhearted Kes, she even goes to try to help her own people. I don't think a pathetic wreck would do that

18. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Same actor.

19. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I only saw that TNG ep once, was tha supposd to be Chakotay's tribe?

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

@KaraBear

Your avatar looks almost exactly like my childhood cat.

Also add False Profit to the list of episodes that forever protect all other episodes from being referred to as 'Worst ever'. WINGS OF FIRE! WINGS OF FIRE! WINGS OF FIRE! Honestly, with a population that stupid, without the Ferengi they all probably died of exposure, lacking the cognitive abilities to dress themselves in the morning.

I can accept that for Kes her complete isolation for years made her a bit loopy. But the knowledge they gained in the past made it so their actions in future episodes made no sense, and the fact that the ship being ripped apart by the Vidian hooks didn't change the future at all was another ridiculous abuse of the reset button.