Latest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lucky bum! *shakes fist*

Seriously though, quite envious. I have my ticket in hand, but still a few weeks away from seeing it!

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We actually got to walk down the red carpet before seeing the movie. The team from Paramount had constructed corridors from the Enterprise for us to walk through. A great experience, seeing Therin sitting in the Enterprise Brig was hilarious.

4. Therin of Andor

I was looking for the label, "Do not flush while in Spacedock." (ST V).

Thanks for breaking me out, mate!

[​IMG]
    The brig by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I picked up the hardcover version of books 1-4 in the "New Frontier" series at a used bookstore last Saturday for $4. Of course, I could tell that someone had bought it over in Britain and brought it too Canada because of the Simon & Schuster sticker on the back cover with 9.99 pounds (and the "L" shaped pound symbol).

6. Therin of Andor

Picked up a new non-fiction trade-sized title today I hadn't heard about:

"Star Trek and History" (Wiley, 2013, pp 358) edited by Nancy R. Reagin. Twenty essays examining aspects of ST and placing them in the historical context of Earth.

7. tomswift2002

I just picked up my copy at Coles.

8. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I picked up The Folded World at B&N today.

9. Therin of Andor

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a book either, but...:

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  11. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

My copy of A Stitch In Time (DS9 #27) arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon. I ended up paying approximately $22 for it, which includes shipping costs from the UK to the US. It's the most money I've ever spent for a used paperback novel, but considering what I've seen it selling for on various websites I consider it a bargain. I've heard in the past that this book experienced a low print run and that, combined with the excellence of the story (I bumped it up near the top of my to-read pile), have driven up the price far beyond most Treklit books.

I was a little bit worried that it would be in what I consider to be poor condition, as it was listed on line as being in "good-acceptable" condition, but it was in about as excellent a shape as a 13-year old paperback can be. It has just a few almost invisible creases on the spine, but that's it.

12. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Star Trek Vanguard: Harbinger

13. tomswift2002

My copy's still in better shape than that for 13 years old. I still haven't read my copy.

14. Therin of Andor

[​IMG]
    Star Trek novelizations by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Tonight numerous Sydney CBD bookstores had local editions of the "Star Trek Into Darkness" novelization. It's a Simon & Schuster UK publication, but printed and bound in Australia by Griffin Press @$AU 19.99 ea. I think the last locally-printed Trek novelizations were TMP (with colour photos insert) and ST II! Sometimes we get UK or "international" versions.

As you can see, the trade paperback is a larger format trade than the US edition that came out for "Star Trek" (2009). Did I read correctly that the US is getting a hardcover this time?

Also picked up "The Shocks of Adversity", the new TOS novel by William Leisner. It was only $AU 9.99. Amazingly inexpensive to what we are accustomed. The US cover price is $7.99 and Canadian is $9.99. It seems Simon & Schuster Australia is doing a similar deal to the last movie, by reducing the costs of the current novel, or at least absorbing most of the freight costs to get lots of cheaper-rate new stock onto shelves. It lasted about four months last time.

Our Aussie dollar almost has parity with the US at the moment, but in the old days we could usually expect to pay triple the US cover price for air freighted copies, or we could wait three loooong months and get slow-boat copies for about double US cover price. The last few novels have been around $13.99.

Downloaded an iTunes version of the STiD soundtrack this week. Beautiful! Will be sending off to Amazon for a CD.

15. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

It was originally announced as a hardcover, but it was changed to trade paper before release. I got my copy from Amazon on Tuesday, along with the audiobook read by Alice "Carol Marcus" Eve in her underwear.

I might have made that last bit up.

Haven't listened or read any yet; maybe during next week's gym time, now that the CDs are safely ripped into iTunes.

16. Therin of Andor

Same dimensions as 2009?

Luckily for her it's your spring and summer approaching.

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got my copy of Startrek into darkness novel from Amazon in the mail yesterday:techman:.

18. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Identical. Virtually the same thickness as well, even though it's ~40 pages longer (312 vs. 274). Thinner paper, I suppose.

Anyone know if SFBC (Science Fiction Book Club) is planning on doing a reprint? The first hardcover edition of Star Trek (2009) was by SFBC; Pocket's HC reprint came slightly later.

ETA: OOPS, the SFBC reprint did not beat Pocket's HC. I think the SFBC was announced first, but delayed so long it allowed Pocket to get their edition into print first.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek Into Darkness soundtrack on CD. Picked it up at Wal-mart for $11.88.

20. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I'm a cheap date.