Chakotay and Janeway romance

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by jbuschell415, May 15, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Young Janeway from Shattered asked if she was doing it with the terrorist in the future.

A less honourable man would have said "Yes, would you care for a preview of things to come?"

He could have tacked Seska during that adventure in the same way "Good lord woman, get over yourself! We come to an accord the day after tomorrow, and figure out how to share custody of our son selflessly, hell you even sleep over sometimes, you don't have to be a bad person, you don't have to be a monster, we get to be a family and 5 years from now we're all most all the way back to Cardassia."

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Fair Haven hologram is just a pretty vibrator with a charming accent.

3. teacake

That's a brilliant suggestion. Sadly, too brilliant and manipulative for Chakotay. Would have been hilarious to see in action though. Who isn't susceptible to someone from the future making announcements about what decisions you'll make and why it makes you happy? I know I would be, if I hadn't seen so much science fiction :lol:

4. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

Did anyone else notice this guy in Game of Thones last season? He was one of Lord Tywin's toadies.

Maybe a Moonlighting style J/C romance would have worked - little bits of flirtation here and there building up to some sort of climax at the end of their 7 year run.

5. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

I would have loved this.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would've made for sense than Chakotay and Seven hooking up out of the blue in season 7.

7. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I extremely dislike the Chakotay/7 ship... not even because I'm hardcore J/C (well maybe a little bit hehe). But yeah...I just... nooooo. Don't ask me why though. I just can't see it working. I know Seven changed a lot by Season 7 and she is one of my favorite characters on Trek ever, but just not a perfect match for Chakotay, I think.

And yeah to other poster --> I would have been fine with a subtle hint at something more... something at least maybe *suggesting* the idea of them getting together once they were back on Earth.

I understand if they couldn't be together because they served on a Starship together... but they could have become more than friends once they were back on Earth and taking a deserved, long vacation from space travel. :biggrin:

8. R. Star

-Harry Kim- would've been a more natural match for Seven than Chakotay... I really don't feel they needed to pair her with anyone to complete her character arc... but it's season seven and they're running out of ideas so they have to hook her up with someone of course....

Janeway and Chakotay... at least you can see the foundation and interest is there. Though I guess you can argue Chakotay not agreeing with her in Scorpion ruined it because you never really see any hints of sparks after that.

9. Guy Gardener

Her boyfriends name, he might have been her husband, was Auxum.

He should have been moving heaven and earth to get back to her side.

And after wading through oceans of blood, completing a number of Hercluean tasks, of course he had to walk in on Seven and Chuckles snuggling.

Seriously.

It's not being on the other side of the galaxy even means anything any more when you have access to a Transwarp hub.

You know who I always felt sorry for?

Mulchaey.

Typical ordinary guy, probably thought his chances at tricking Seven into falling in love was about as good as anyone elses. Certainly better than Harry's.

Right?

Then there's this stupid transporter accident afterwhich there's a 29th century Drone wandering around with his face... Is it his son? Is it his brother? Is it an abomination who needs to be put down? Why does everyone like the Drone better than they like him?

Surely there's only room for one Mulchaey on Voyager!

(Unfortunately that may be be true, but it's the original Mulchaey there is no room for. Poor bastard.)

But this #### with his face is simultaneously her son, her best friend and if you squint, it's almost a certainly they're a week or two away from being lovers, at which point SHE'LL BE MAKING BABIES WITH HIS DNA!!! HE HAS RIGHTS!

Surely it's rape if she's having his babies without his permission?

But anyhow...

Dudes been blacklisted.

Too painful to look at him.

Reminds the girl of the cheap copy.

No Seven for Mulchaey.

Ever.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Kim was a loser. Seven deserved a manly man, someone like Worf. Too bad they were lacking in that department on VOY.

11. Guy Gardener

Dalby was a manly man.

Soooooooooooooo much musk.

12. R. Star

Carey.. he's itching for Seven and he's such a family man.. when he's not hitting on the new blonde co-worker anyways. Sometimes you have to lose it to love it? :p

13. Guy Gardener

Hmmm.

Did Carey get Engineering back in the Before and After Universe after B'Elanna died?

What about Captain Ducane?

He's such a manly man that he legally and honourably sent Seven to her death a dozen times over successfully.

14. teacake

Okay I am now going to take time out from my very important posting frenzy in the Star Trek XI+ forum to explain to you all why Chakotay/7 works. For personal background in case anyone hasn't noticed I have always been J/7 and I have never been a Chakotay fan (other than saying he's good to look at). So I should be puking over C/7.

Chakotay is perfect for 7. Not perfect for the long term but perfect for where she is right now. He's kind, he's thoughtful, he's attracted to strong women and he will never hurt her. She is deeply wounded and unsure of herself as far as relationships and Chakotay has the patience, empathy and natural desire to dote on her that she needs. She has spent the majority of her life as one unit among billions with personal value having no reality. Chakotay will make her feel special, he will value her and relate personally to her as an individual and he's emotionally smart enough to understand that treating her that way is not a common thing but a part of her healing and growth.

Unlike other male suitors Chakotay is not one for ego. 7 will be free from him reacting personally to her coldness and misunderstandings. He is safe and he is easy to be in a relationship with compared to just about anyone else. He is not going to make demands on 7, rather he will be holding out his hand and waiting for her to take it.

Yes 7 had Auxum in Unimatrix Zero but that may seem more like a dream, a dream time within her enslavement. That was practice for having feelings as an individual, not practice for having a relationship in a real world.

What does Chakotay get out of it? As we know strong women are his thing, but this time he gets to be the strong man as well because 7 needs him. She's kick ass but she's vulnerable. He can give more to her than Seska ever needed or wanted. She may not show her appreciation but as she grows more comfortable in being in a relationship I think Chakotay will see her blooming and feel that he is appreciated. It will be an important relationship for both of them and while it will not last (and doesn't in the books) they will part with no animosity and with a gratitude for the time they spent together.

15. R. Star

Gotta love the starter husband thesis. ;)

16. teacake

That's the term I usually use :lol:

But when I do someone always brings up Auxum because they get stuck on who came first.

17. R. Star

You've made the point just a few times before! While I don't completely agree with it, you definitely articulate the argument well and make some good points. My main beef with the Seven/Chakotay relationship is they just threw it at us with no buildup whatsoever and expected us to find it believable. The Paris/Torres relationship works because hey... it was a bumpy road with a lot of foreshadowing and build up to it.

As for Auxum? Who cares? Seven certainly didn't and I don't blame her. Adolescent minds, puberty and the fact her only choices were creepy guy trying to grope her in a jungle or the snarling Klingon... well who can blame her?

18. teacake

Yeah I'm not arguing that they didn't throw it in there, they sure did. I just get around it by saying, well we don't see everything that goes on on the ship! Also let's look at it this way, Chakotay is on his own relationship arc, not discussed but there. He had his Seska horror and he recovered from that only to fall for someone he's clearly pined after for the last 4 years who has made it clear that it isn't ever going to happen. Enough time has passed and he's ready to not be the rejected one any more. We don't see that as a storyline but everyone is on their own relationship arc whether events happen or not (in life as well as tv).

19. Guy Gardener

She'll mock his religion.

Until she investigates it's tenants.

Then Seven will take a few steps back in terror.

Chakotay thinks it's novel and spiritual to create temporary collectives.

He's on the Verge of generating a new Borg-like threat.

It's like as if she was a recovering heroine addict, and married some guy only to discover that he's a got a monkey on his back too, except that he's not in recovery at all.

Sevens only recourse would be to shoot Chakotay in the head, destroy the technology, and then apologise to Janeway.

Then there's the other thing.

The group sex thing.

When Chakotay was a Borg initiate in Unity, he had group sex and it felt damn good.

He's going to keep pressuring Seven until she snaps him in two or she submits to becomes a central proccessor for an orgy.

Which does ask if Chakotay was really after Seven for Seven the person and not for just how her tech can make 7 people think that they have several genitals of each gender all having sex with themsellf from completely different directions and perspectives.

As if a regualar sex holds a candle?

20. teacake

Like any drug experience I'm pretty sure how he felt when he was in the mini collective having sex is pretty hazy for Chakotay. And if it isn't all he needs to do is focus on one of the pig ugly male Klingons in that collective to reprogram the memories as icky things he wants to forget.