Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude, get a grip. Discussion of Spock's psionic powers in TAS did not "go on for several pages", and Spock was offered as an example of a method that has been used to depict Superman's powers. You aren't obliged to read the posts. In any case, all points discussed to my satisfaction at least. Thank you.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The fact that we have to resort to discussion about how Superman's powers maybe used and described in the new film is directly related to us not having any news to discuss. Thus, why i've not participated in this silly discussion.

3. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Superman is mos def not magic, 'cause that's one of his weaknesses. The thing is, don't even magic users in the DCU have a quasi-scientific explanation as to how they're able to wield those powers?

4. Admiral_Young

^ I'm pretty sure that they do. I'm not sure exactly what it is though. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the magic users in the DCU would be able to explain this.

Superman is based on science, pseudo-science maybe, but yeah he's definitely not magic, that is just how some fans perceive to explain his powers. The current comics have been steeped in Kryptonian science. Superman to me is a prime example of Clarke's third law.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

None that I'm aware of. The Spectre is on a mission from God. Dr Fate was a Lord of Order. The Phantom Stranger is a neutral fallen angel/the Wandering Jew/A guy who pissed off God/Galactus. The Demon is a demon from Hell.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I would have thought that my reference to sending in SWAT teams evinced a certain light-heartedness on my part that is lacking from your touchy 'get a grip' response. :rolleyes: But hey, if you're enjoying debating pointless silliness that isn't, you know, anything whatsoever to do with the title of this thread, knock yourself out.

Sooooooo glad to hear of your satisfaction. But, you know, even scrolling through this:

Total cure for insomnia.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Daniel Craig. Then we can all those wonderful websites such as CraigNotKent.

Also Daniel Craig.

8. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surely you meant to say Daniel Craig instead? He's a much better fit for the part than Daniel Craig is.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Guys, guys, you're all wrong. I have it on very good authority that it's actually going to be Daniel Craig, not Daniel Craig.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

IGN reports Michael Shannon has been cast as Zod and the movie title is just going to be Man of Steel.

11. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Can't these films ever get away from Luthor and Zod? Superman does have other villains (Yeah, I know some are kind of lame, but others have potential).

12. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Really disappointing. No one will ever top Terence Stamp's Zod. It's not like Nicholson's Joker where there was room for improvement. Stamp owned that role.

I don't care that it was over-the-top and hammy, it was great that way. I have no desire to see a more serious interpretation of the character, which I'm sure this would be.

Sucks that they'd go back to villains of the first Superman series, despite claiming they wanted to make this fresh like "Batman Begins" by acting like the previous movies didn't happen.

I think using villains who haven't been seen on the big screen before would have been a better way to accomplish that goal.

Would have much preferred Brainiac, Darkseid, Metallo, Doomsday or even some of the goofier villains like Bizarro or Mr. Mxyzptlk. My interest in this movie just plummeted. :klingon:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Zod has the virtue, of course, of having all of Superman's powers and the opposite point-of-view on how to use them and on people in general. So yeah, this should be interesting.

Not really caring about how this compares to the old movies and Stamp - that was a long time ago and those were very different films.

Still..."Kneel befor Zod" jokes will be made. :lol:

14. Admiral_Young

Michael Shannon is an excellent choice to play Zod. I'm not surprised that there are disappointed fans about this. Superman frankly does not have a lot of interesting, and more importantly well known villains that can be used. The retconned Geoff Johns and Richard Donner version of General Zod that has been used over the last two years in the New Krypton storyline (which basically is the movie Zod with a more fleshed out back story and purpose) is extremely interesting.

The casting for this movie has been outstanding so far. I keep getting more excited for this project.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nice choice for Zod! :techman:

I'm surprised the posters over at the superherohype forums haven't gone crazy about this news yet. Slow day. :rommie:

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. For all the talk about a need to reboot the character and get away from the Donner version, why use the one comic book villain (other than Lex) who Donner used? In fact, when you consider what a minor character Zod was until the Donner films (and for most of the comics thereafter until recently), the decision is even more confounding.

That being said, Shannon is a great actor. In fact, he's the one guy I had thought might be able to pull off the Joker, post Ledger.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The good thing about Zod is that you don't have to explain where he got his powers from like the rest of Superman's villains. He is a Kryptonian just like Superman, there you go.

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yeah, this is a good choice. I hope Snyder is able to bring a little of his batshitcrazy to the fights- I want to see Supes and Zod hitting each other with skyscrapers!

19. Admiral_Young

I wonder if Lex will be cast next. I'm really starting to think that he's going to be a supporting character (i.e. in the shadows).

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Zod gives the writers as much chance to dig into who Clark is and why he decides to do what he does as they decide they want to take - the very premise of the threat of Zod being, after all, that an indestructible and supremely powerful alien could choose to unsympathetically rule or destroy us.

This choice also leverages whatever familiarity factor does carry over from previous movies and TV shows while sidestepping the more obvious and repetitious choice (Lex Luthor).