Life Purpose

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Into Darkness, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

My purpose is to find balance - balance between obligations to myself, my family, my friends and community, my society, to civilization, to world upon which we live ...

... I just haven't decided if I have any obligations to a higher power. :shrug:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

^If you did have an obligation to a higher power he/she would probably tell you: find balance. So you're set.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I have that. It's a pain.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Life "means" nothing; it simply is. Meaning is invented by human thinking.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if love is the answer, but it is definitely a battlefield.

Oh-wo-wo-wo-wo-wo-wo-wo-wo...

6. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That doesn't sound so good. :( Hope whatever situation that refers to improves!

I'm like teya, I'm kind of enjoying being alone in some ways. For the moment, anyway. Will I suddenly find myself wanting very much to not be alone at some point down the road? I couldn't say.
    Same here, heh. I'm really not "nearly there", though, because my problem is FINISHING stuff, so I don't have much of anything in a presentable form. Yet. But that's how I'd answer the question: to tell stories and create worlds, and then put em out there for others to see.

7. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Best of luck with that! For years I was in the same boat ... having lots of ideas, never able to finish any of them. I was only able to do so by setting aside time, every day ... and sacrificing a few other things in the process.

I have to say, though, while it's quite the rush to actually finish a project ... the next challenge, "putting it out there for others to see," is almost as difficult! :lol:

8. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's definitely something that only Americans do.

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It's all the crappy mass produced beer they drink. That would give anyone gassy ructions.

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Actually it's a rose, but you'd better not pick it.

11. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Because every rose has its thorn.

Yeah, I never felt the urge to have someone to complete my life. I always enjoyed being alone. It's only in the past year that I've even developed an interest in serious dating, but I'm pretty certain that's the biological clock fucking with my thoughts.

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that you have to find (or create) your own purpose, and it varies from one individual to another. It can be as profound as devoting one's life to faith in a higher being or as earthly as the pursuit of wealth. To me, it's about helping others, having the love of friends and family, and enjoying life.

13. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

My life's purpose is the only thing that's ever made any sense for me. The one thing that comes the most naturally to me and that is telling stories. Either writing them for a book or just going on and on to somebody else about something that happened to me, I always enjoy telling a tale.

My attention span ain't that big, but I could sit down and write for hours. And when I'm not writing I'm constantly brainstorming in my head.

At age 30 I've never had any interest in dating or finding somebody to share my life with. Who knows if I'll continue to think that way? But it's definitely not my life's purpose.

14. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've concluded that my purpose is to provide support--I don't do the "fantastic things" in life, I help others do that. I've helped numerous people while a student in various classes, whether it was helping put my hisband through pahrmacy school, the computer networking program I took, GE courses working towards my Bachelor's, or through law school. Some of them literally would not have passed whatever the class or program was. They are the ones to do the big visible things, I'm the catalyst that helped them get to do it.

Lately, I've been focusing on my husband's needs more. He's under a lot of stress. But I'm looking into tutoring at my law school.

15. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I can definitely identify with this. I don't think I'll ever be anything that great myself, but I like supporting other people in reaching their goals. It doesn't even have to be anything incredible; I simply like supporting people in their lives. I dedicated a lot of myself to my husband so that part is getting reshuffled but I don't think I'd ever call that my purpose anyway. The purpose I've given myself is simply to help people, and better myself along the way.

Also the world is far too curious a place for me to ever get bored.

16. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me, too! Diagnosed at age 43. Nice to finally learn that my problems were not "my fault" but physiological. Just knowing that, added to all the efforts I had been making all along, gave me a boost. Too bad it all coincided with undertreated hypothyroidism--which I am FINALLY seeing an endocrinologist about. He said I should've been treated at a much higher dose FIVE years earlier!!

If you have no purpose in life, make one, no matter how small it may seem to you. I knew an old lady in the neighborhood--her purpose seemed to be walking the area a couple of times a day and clearing the gutters of the leaves blocking them, and telling the same three unfunny, slightly-racist jokes year after year. Yet when she passed, everyone missed her presence as a fixture in the neighborhood.

17. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm rather bored tonight, I need a new purpose. Euler's Identity is stuck in my head. I think I want to spray paint it somewhere.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

There is no purpose to life - its just random chance that we are here.

Having said that, we are programmed by evolution to seek food, warmth, comfort and to reproduce.

No big secret...

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

'

You should totally do it.

20. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

It would improve the quality of the graffiti around here a hundredfold.