Voyager again, for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by NightJim, Feb 26, 2013.

1. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Projections

Awesome a Doctor episode. And Barclay's in it, even better. For a brief second on seeing Dwight Schultz's name I thought "Isn't it a bit early for that episode where the Doctor transfers back to the Alpha Quadrant.

Neat little twist on the cuckoo nest trope.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You recognized that Kar was the same kid who plays Nog on DS9?

3. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Soon as he spoke. Really takes you out the episode.

4. Guy Gardener

But that was the largest clue that Voyager is Just a holosuite Game being played at Quarks.

The "crew" of Voyager is entirely a bunch of lower decksmen and nightshifters from DS9 letting off steam after hours, who let Nog play with them once.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah. Aron should have tried to alter his voice somehow, even a bad accent would have helped

6. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

:guffaw:, I've never heard that one before, I take it other than that episode and the first meeting of Harry there are other clues too?

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't put it past Quark to design an elaborate holographic ruse to torture Harry. That episode where the planet full of women beat him with dildos makes tons more sense in this context.

8. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Speaking of Quark, funny how that incident was a bit of a lynch pin. But first Elogium.

Or the episode where the ship gets hit on. Fun enough, though Neelix is really starting to become quite annoying now. However, they've been in space for a year now, and Wildman has only just realised she's pregnant? How does that one work?

Then Non Sequitur.

Without Kim, Quark goes for Paris, who starts a fight and lives are changed. Overall a decent episode. Though I think they could have sold Harry's reasoning to return a bit better. As a TV show of course he wants to get back, but other than the talk with his fiancée it's a bit open, and he just says "I've set my mind to it".

9. Guy Gardener

Becuase shit happens. Miscarriages and the like. Women don't tell any one till well into the pregnancy.

Here's the other dark shit that really happened.

The Doctor did not tell Captain Janeway, and that's the betrayal that would have really gotten Kathryn's goat.

Imagine if your answer phone started fucking with you, deciding which messages you should and should not receive on ethical grounds or because they think you're too much of a wussy to handle the truth...

A 1/4 of her crew are terrorists planning to slit her throat while sleeping but there's a lightbulb keeping medical privilege about their psyche evaluations in conflict with ship security... And probably Tom Paris' STD panel.

The Doctor's program would have been gutted.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  10. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

lol that's an interesting spin. I hadn't thought of the Doctor knowing.

And yeah I know about leaving it a while before announcing it, but that the 3 month mark, now the one year. How on Earth could the baby have been conceived on DS9 and her finding out she's pregnant at the start of year 2?

However, I've looked on Memory Alpha now to see if there was an explanation, and there was, or at least a production one. This was a S1 episode, and the network decided to hold it back with no consultation. Takes it a slightly weird problem, to an outrageous one

11. Guy Gardener

Or she could have done a Seska.

Sam had a couple doses of her husbands specimen in a cooler of hyposprays.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, her husband was stationed on DS9 where they picked up Harry in the Pilot.

On the other hand (you don't have three hands?) Naomi was obviously Caretakers kid, and everyone on the ship was psychologically conditioned not to ask questions.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can explain it ALL away.. :: waves hand :: with the father being an different species.

13. Melakon

Memory Alpha sez

basing it on "Deadlock" and "Fury", confirming teacake's hocus-pocus theory.

14. R. Star

So how exactly can a baby be in the womb 18 months.... then grow to three feet tall within 2 years? Shouldn't the kid either grow more slowly.... or grow more quickly... but both? :p

15. Melakon

You just use a little hocus-pocus to explain California's child labor laws. It's like sex-- starts slow and finishes fast.

16. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Well it's obvious now that you've said it ;)

For some reason long gestation, quick growth doesn't seem a problem to me. Maybe I'm just weird when it comes what I nitpick over.

17. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Twisted

Interesting bottle episode. But some of the acting is questionable. Garrett Wang in particular is pretty bad here.
    Even the crew are getting sick of Neelix now. He is really getting annoying now.

I like that cloud left a tonne of info in the computer. I hope this comes back into play.

Parturition

Ok Janeway' s got a new haircut. And it's a pretty decent one.

Actually this episode was pretty decent all round. Some good writing and watching it straight after twisted I can't help but think that the other episode's problems were more dialogue driven then anything.

Sorry for the bad formatting. Writing this on my kindle and it's proving interesting

18. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I've always enjoyed watching Twisted. Yeah Neelix was annoying Kes in particular in that episode. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  19. Melakon

I liked "Twisted", simply because it's the type of weird-ass-WTF-shit mindscrew I like to see once in a while.

20. R. Star

Twisted makes no sense at all. But I guess if that's your thing, then that's your episode. And let's have it for our morale officer... jealous to the point where he thinks Kes is sleeping with half the ship! Given his character flaws, he should be worshiping Kes as a goddess and drinking wine from her shoes, that he has a real live girlfriend. Instead... we get this pettiness.

Parturition... well Neelix goes from jealousy to stalking, to assaulting members of the crew, threatening their life. Our morale officer in action! Funny thing is Paris, who obviously is attracted to Kes, is even trying to do the right thing. Though it was only inevitable there would be a food fight in the galley I suppose.

I'm often critical of Janeway, but I do love her reaction to this absurdity just telling them to deal with it and probably laughing manically once the door closed behind them. Too bad no one decided to hold Neelix accountable for being a complete jerk. Beyond that the plot is rather cliche... two people with tension created this episode have to resolve their problems, take care of baby plot... exit cliche.