Frakes: Early TNG Seasons Were ?Not Real Fun?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Jun 20, 2012.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jonathan Frakes admitted this week that it took a few years before he really got to enjoy his role as Commander Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation. “I looked very, very stiff in those early seasons because I was so intent on living up to the vision that [Gene Roddenberry] had, and it was [...]

More...

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I understand it, Stewart was rather serious about the whole thing too, before everyone got him to loosen up a bit. I'm sure there was a lot of pressure to live up to, with the 20 year old film & tv franchise on the line

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    that, and the reality that beginnings are usually a scary time for a new and risky project. By seasons 3 or 4, it was known the show was a huge success, which helps a great deal with the "having fun" part.

4. Gul Bones

Gul Bones Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You can tell as the seasons went on that they all started to loosen up a little bit. Infact I hardly watch the first two seasons. It seems like an almost different show come season 3

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    well in a way it was, as there was a major writing change between those seasons.

6. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

It pains me to say it, but TNG improved dramatically after Rick Berman took over.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

They are very different shows, but I'm actually really fond of those first two seasons. Not that what comes after isn't very enjoyable, but there's a real quirkiness in some of those early eps.

8. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

I'm with you. I know Seasons 1 & 2 get bashed a lot, but I always enjoy rewatching them. There are some really good stories within those two seasons.

9. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

To me the first two seasons of TNG had a very TOS feel in both the writing and set design. I often think of TNG seasons 1 & 2 as TOS phase 2... I like the fact that in the first two seasons the stories were more self contained and didnt involve Cardasians, Klingons, and Romulans as much as later seasons. The later seasons got more into the whole Federation and how they dealt with other Empires. Where as the first 2 seamed to deal with the crew and some mysterious alien life forms...

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not really, because Berman took over about midway during the first season, with Roddenberry stepping back into a supervisory role. Berman would run things by Roddenberry, who would give either a yea or nay, but Berman was running things that far back in the show.

It was Michael Piller (along with Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore) who started to inject more action into TNG during the third season.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I too have a soft spot for seasons 1 and 2 (Pulaski notwithstanding), particularly the music in those episodes. MUCH better than what came later.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I love the first two seasons. The show definitely hit it's stride in Season 3, but Season 2 has some of my favorite episodes of the entire series, including "Measure of a Man" and "The Royale". Also, big Pulaski fan. :D

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner mentioned on separate Nerdist podcasts that Stewart was very serious, as Mojochi said. Apparently, Stewart was embarrassed by the childish nature of his co-workers and even gave them a "pep talk" on their behavior. Spiner mentioned that during the scene on the hill for Tasha's funeral in "Skin of Evil," Stewart finally eased up and has since credited his co-workers for giving him a sense of humor.